Here's a Breakdown of Our Latos Giveaway

more money. 

I don't think he'd get more money (he's averaging like $30 million+ for the last seven years of that deal). Unless he's looking for longer stability and a contract to finish out his career, there's basically no reason for him to opt out unless he really wants out of Miami. The money on the back end of that contract is something only seen in A-Rod and Pujols' contracts. I don't think it's physically possible for him to be making any more money during those years.

I don't think he'd get more money (he's averaging like $30 million+ for the last seven years of that deal). Unless he's looking for longer stability and a contract to finish out his career, there's basically no reason for him to opt out unless he really wants out of Miami. The money on the back end of that contract is something only seen in A-Rod and Pujols' contracts. I don't think it's physically possible for him to be making any more money during those years.

if he continues on his career path with the way money is rising in mlb, he would net an extra 100 million easy. 

if he continues on his career path with the way money is rising in mlb, he would net an extra 100 million easy. 

What kind of contract are you imagining? Even with player contract inflation, his contract is incredibly incredibly favorable to him the last 7 years after the opt out clause and far more than anything every other player is making in baseball (to offset the team friendly contract the first 6). After the opt out, it's a 7 year, $210 million deal. Based on what you're saying, you think he'd get something like 10 years, $300 million after an opt out (to make the contract even in amount to the previous deal). Do you actually think he'll get more than $30 million a year, because even with inflation that isn't going to happen without a few 50-60 home run seasons.

For Stanton to get the money you think he'd get after an opt out is unprecedented in definitely unlikely to happen. The only player making close to the AAV Stanton will get those seven years in Clayton Kershaw. Given his injury history, I find it incredibly doubtful that he'll opt out of a guaranteed $210 million after the age of 30. Only ten players in baseball history have ever made that kind of money in a contract, and he'll be guaranteed that up until the age of 37. It just feels like Stanton took the money to set himself up for life, whether or not he likes our front office. We could become a team sent to the middle of Alaska and Stanton would still take the $210 million.

What kind of contract are you imagining? Even with player contract inflation, his contract is incredibly incredibly favorable to him the last 7 years after the opt out clause and far more than anything every other player is making in baseball (to offset the team friendly contract the first 6). After the opt out, it's a 7 year, $210 million deal. Based on what you're saying, you think he'd get something like 10 years, $300 million after an opt out (to make the contract even in amount to the previous deal). Do you actually think he'll get more than $30 million a year, because even with inflation that isn't going to happen without a few 50-60 home run seasons.

For Stanton to get the money you think he'd get after an opt out is unprecedented in definitely unlikely to happen. The only player making close to the AAV Stanton will get those seven years in Clayton Kershaw. Given his injury history, I find it incredibly doubtful that he'll opt out of a guaranteed $210 million after the age of 30. Only ten players in baseball history have ever made that kind of money in a contract, and he'll be guaranteed that up until the age of 37. It just feels like Stanton took the money to set himself up for life, whether or not he likes our front office. We could become a team sent to the middle of Alaska and Stanton would still take the $210 million.

10 yrs 300-350 mil easy 

It has nothing to do with South Florida and baseball; nobody in any city, or any sport, wants to see a perpetual bottom feeder. Coupled with the deep disdain towards ownership / management and perpetual talent drain, it's very difficult to get butts in the seats. 

We all agree that 90-100 million is not astronomical, it's very reasonable for baseball and still a low payroll. The Heat will be spending over 130+ million this in salary this year, the Dolphins 145 million and Panthers 60 million. 

Baseball is not a "build through the draft" sport. You need a smart front office that can pull off trades and lure free agents, not just rely on a farm systems. 

Loria isn't Airson or Ross, both of which are owners who are willing to spend to win. Obviously Loria is "only" worth $500 million, so spending much more than the team revenue isn't likely to ever happen so long as he is still the owner. 

Loria wants to luck out and build a winner mostly through the farm, which will then put fans in the seats so he can spend. The reality is that is very difficult to do. Spend some money now, build a teams that can contend for more than one year and they will have everyone's attention. 

The Panthers made it to the playoffs a couple of years ago and the arena was packed, yet the next year came and they returned to irrelevancy and the poor attendance returned. The difference is you can build through the draft in hockey and the Panthers are looking strong going into the season. The Heat and Dolphins will also field strong teams, while the Marlins aren't getting any better. :(

Even if he's awesome every year until the opt out I can't see the fn Marlins giving him an even higher deal if he opts out. It would come off a little dickish to say "I've got 200 million guaranteed, now I want more" and I don't think the Marlins give in to that. Another team could do it but not Miami. I could be wrong though.

It has nothing to do with South Florida and baseball; nobody in any city, or any sport, wants to see a perpetual bottom feeder. Coupled with the deep disdain towards ownership / management and perpetual talent drain, it's very difficult to get butts in the seats. 

We all agree that 90-100 million is not astronomical, it's very reasonable for baseball and still a low payroll. The Heat will be spending over 130+ million this in salary this year, the Dolphins 145 million and Panthers 60 million. 

Baseball is not a "build through the draft" sport. You need a smart front office that can pull off trades and lure free agents, not just rely on a farm systems. 

Loria isn't Airson or Ross, both of which are owners who are willing to spend to win. Obviously Loria is "only" worth $500 million, so spending much more than the team revenue isn't likely to ever happen so long as he is still the owner. 

Loria wants to luck out and build a winner mostly through the farm, which will then put fans in the seats so he can spend. The reality is that is very difficult to do. Spend some money now, build a teams that can contend for more than one year and they will have everyone's attention. 

The Panthers made it to the playoffs a couple of years ago and the arena was packed, yet the next year came and they returned to irrelevancy and the poor attendance returned. The difference is you can build through the draft in hockey and the Panthers are looking strong going into the season. The Heat and Dolphins will also field strong teams, while the Marlins aren't getting any better. :(

the cubs and astros are the latest examples that would like to disagree with that