How would you improve this team in the offseason?

fish14

These are the incoming FA 1st basemen citing mlbtraderumors.com:

Jeff Baker (35)

Chris Davis (30)

Edwin Encarnacion (33) – $10MM club option with a $2MM buyout

Garrett Jones (35)

Justin Morneau (35) – $9MM mutual option with a $750K buyout

Mike Napoli (34)

Steve Pearce (33)

Sean Rodriguez (31)

yeah, not pretty.

Guest Vince0926

Jeff Baker (35)

Chris Davis (30)

Garrett Jones (35)

Mike Napoli (34)

Steve Pearce (33)

Sean Rodriguez (31)

yeah, not pretty.

Steve Pearce 

Jeff Baker (35)

Chris Davis (30)

Garrett Jones (35)

Mike Napoli (34)

Steve Pearce (33)

Sean Rodriguez (31)

yeah, not pretty.

Baker.... next

Davis, ok he fits what was wanted by Kilo but will be overpaid probably and result in a bad contract

Edwin's option will obviously be picked up

Jones.... ha

Morneau... he's not the power threat Kilo wanted

Napoli...  he's not the power threat Kilo wanted

Pearce...  he's not the power threat Kilo wanted

Rod....  he's not the power threat Kilo wanted

So yeah like I said, its nice to say what the team could use but if that guy doesn't actually exist how is it the Marlins' fault if they don't sign him?

That's the difficulty here, even if the Marlins really wanted players like Kazmir, even if they're willing to increase payroll, there's twenty nine other teams out there. It's very hard to get all of your targeted players.

What?  No.  If a player doesn't sign with Miami, it means they didn't offer enough cause they are cheap bastards.

Samardzija's value will never be lower than this season. For us to compete, this team needs to get value in our free agent signings. Samardzija is the perfect kind of signing for a team like us this offseason.

Samardzija has six starts where he's given up 5 ER or more, 4 starts of allowing 7 ER or more, with two of them being in his last two starts. Yes, that absolutely sucks and shows he's having a Ricky Nolasco season. But on the other hand, 19 of his 23 starts have been 6 innings or more, 16!!!! starts of 7 innings or more. The biggest thing we lack on the current team is guys who can go deep into games regularly. Samardzija can do that without any issue.

He could very well suck if we sign him, but he's the kind of guy we need to take chances on. He'd come at a reasonable cost after a season like this. A move to the National League will probably do wonders for him, and he has the potential to be that #2 we need.

I agree with dim, I don't know if Samardzija is the answer but I'd welcome him because he's an upgrade for us now. Especially with our health concerns heading into next year.

Then again, after Saltalamacchia, Hechavarria, and now Barraclough, I'm not so sure my phone's auto correct can deal with Samardzija. Throw in Dombrowski and its all down hill from there.

Everyone hates when the Marlins go and sell low and buy high, yet the biggest name I hear people wanting is Kazmir. Yeah, Kazmir's been absolutely great this year. But that great number means he'll make top top top dollar in free agency. This season has been an absolute breakout from what he's been doing recently. He hasn't thrown for 200 innings since 2007. He'll probably make near $100 million this offseason while Samardzija is likely looking at a one year "prove it" deal with a national league team in a pitcher friendly park.

Kazmir's going to go to one of the top teams with the most money in the baseball world. I respect and understand that. We can't and shouldn't be trying to attain these players. Samardzija is similar to the Latos deal we did this season. Yes, the Latos deal didn't work out, but I'd do that trade over again 100 times because there was a significant chance of him becoming a #2 starter caliber player again. I don't believe Samardzija has the same injury concerns that Latos has, so this move would be more likely to pay off, AND we wouldn't be giving up long term flexibility or prospects to get him. It makes all the sense in the world to me.