How would you improve this team in the offseason?

I was gonna write this in another thread but i figured it is kinda its own thread.  so here it goes.

I was in favor of sending Realmuto down a couple months ago but he has been much improved over the second half.  If he can be between .725 and .750 OPS for his career that would be spectacular from the catcher position with everything else he brings.

And does anybody remember me telling you guys that Hech is actually not all that improved with the bat and he had inflated numbers and you all attacked me for saying he would be under .700 OPS for the season?  He's at .684 OPS for the year and he will likely have an OBP under .300 again.  He has improved but he still has to be the weak link in the lineup of any team he is on.  You can't have him and another hitter worse than him in the same lineup to go along with a pitcher. Hech is fine, but he needs to be our worst hitter every year, especially in the NL, if we will ever have a quality lineup. 

That's why Realmuto's development is very important.  If he can develop into a competent hitter that is a huge step for our lineup, if he can't that leaves us with 3 black holes in the lineup and that will never be a successful team even if we have Stanton and Yelich turns into an all-star.

For me Dietrich is an everyday player and this team isn't too far away.  They need to trim the fat that has been on the roster for way too long.  Mathis, Solano (you know he will be back sometime soon), Dunn, Hand, Don Kelly, Ichiro, and Mcgehee.  These need to be replaced by quality major leaguers.  I think this front office is of the belief every year that you can fill a roster with crap but as long as you have 1 starter at every position in spring training then nothing bad is ever going to go wrong.  One injury every single year and we collapse because we are a shit organization with shit drafting, shit player development, and shit ownership.  The Cardinals seemingly have one of their best players out for the year every year and are in the playoffs every year.  They know how to run a team.

Here is what I would do come the offseason.  Make Dietrich a full time 3b.  Sign a LF like Cespedes.  Trade Ozuna for an everyday 1b or package him with Ramos for Judge or Bird.  Trade Prado and Koehler for a potential power bullpen arm in a few years, they stink. We need a long term 1b so badly and we have since Derek Lee.  Then i'd sign a quality number 2 who has been proven, lets say Johnny Cueto.  That would require money so it won't ever happen but stick with me here.  Then i'd sign a veteran number 5.  I'd prefer both of these signings to be pitchers who don't pitch to contact for once.  After Cueto i'd see if AJ Burnett would be interested in a reunion.    If you can get him on the Mike Morse type contract 2 years 16 million id do it in a second.  I know some of you are gonna say thats an overpay but thats what the free agent market is.  Thats why i think the fact that we didn't use Latos as an asset for anything other than dumping money is idiotic.  8 million per year on the open market really doesnt get you much these days.

Next I would fill out the bench.  Im so fucking tired of us signing shitty veteran  guys to spring training invitations and picking 3 who didn't suck as our bench pieces.  NO, use the bench pieces as if they can bring value to the team. 

So far, I would want our team to look like this

Realmuto, Bird/Judge, Gordon, Hech, Dietrich, Cespedes, Yelich, Stanton.

So for this we would need a 4th outfielder, Bour would be backup 1b/power bat off the bench, backup catcher (most likely Telis), backup middle infielder, and maybe another backup corner infielder.

Rotation as follows:  Jose, Cueto, Burnett, HA*, Cosart  and Nicolino, Conley, Urena, Williams, etc fighting with Cosart for the last spot.

I'd then fix the bullpen by relying on homegrown guys after trading/releasing Dunn, Ramos, Morris, Phelps and replacing them with guys like Wittgren, long reliever can be a prospect, Ellington, etc.

My 2016 dream team

C- Realmuto/Telis

1b- Bird or Judge/ Bour

2b- Gordon

SS- Hech

3b- Dietrich/Free agent bench signing

lf- Cespedes

Cf- Yelich

RF- Stanton

That gives us a lineup of Gordon, Yelich, Stanton, Cespedes, Dietrich, Bird/Judge, Realmuto, Hech.

That is greatly improved, gives us more power and better production further down in the lineup.  With the rotation mentioned earlier and Capps still in the backend of the bullpen I think this can be a successful team.  As I wrote this however it was painfully obvious just how dry our farm system is in every aspect.  Trying to find potential prospects who can contribute was pretty much impossible.  I think we need to scrap this front office and bring in an analytic driven guy but of course there is no chance this happens either.  

How would you guys go about fixing this for next year?  Sorry for the rant.

Didn't read, but improvement starts with a total front office makeover, not just moving people one chair over.

Whatever they do they need to realize the clock is ticking on Fernandez, Ozuna and Hech and not kid themselves that Stanton is still going to be here after the first opt out

Long post and I see where you are going. But what the Marlins are planning on doing per Barry Jackson is focus on addressing the pitching which is basically what @MarlinsLou has been saying over and over. Pitchers they should target are Tier 1/2. Someone like Kazmir and Jordan Zimmerman. Although I think he prices himself way out. You can also try to revisit talks with the Indians for another controllable arm in the off season. So far they are saying Locks for the rotation next year is Fernandez, Koehler, Cosart. These last 2 months anyone who they plan on using for the future needs to pitch now.

Conley and Nicolino pitching against the Redsox is a start. I don't know what the front office does with Ozuna next year, I think they keep him. Offense wise, I am real curious to see what they do. They want Bour to start next year but they arent giving him the at bats that he should be getting with Casey clogging it up. Dietrich is capable of LHP, so if anything you can still platoon him at 1B or 3B. Mathis MUST GO. Just do a Realmuto/Tellis platoon.

Marlins have $55 million committed to the team including the $7 owed to the Salty. Obviously that could go up a little more with arbritation figures rising for players like Dee Gordon as such. But moving Koehler and Dunn would give us about $5 million back.

Didn't read, but improvement starts with a total front office makeover, not just moving people one chair over.

Whatever they do they need to realize the clock is ticking on Fernandez, Ozuna and Hech and not kid themselves that Stanton is still going to be here after the first opt out

From what it seems I really don't think Loria gets rid of Hill and Jennings and the front office people. He is more concerned with getting the old contracts off the books. After this season Guillen and Beinfest contracts come off. You will more than likely see that capable manager we been speculating. Gardenhire, Bud Black, or even Dusty Baker (lol)

Though the Marlins want to keep their key players for 2016, this disaster of a season will spur at least some change in the months ahead.

Our ace beat writer Clark Spencer and I have both heard that the Marlins will make pitching their offseason priority and plan to add two starting pitchers, according to team sources. But as always, finances will provide challenges.

And there’s this: Though owner Jeffrey Loria is always capable of changing his mind, the Marlins are operating under the belief there will be a new manager next season, with Dan Jennings returning to the front office, according to team sources.

The Marlins don’t want to discuss the managerial situation publicly yet, but Laurence Leavy, known as Marlins Man because he wears his Marlins jersey to sporting events across the country, interviewed Jennings for Fox Sports Florida and said Jennings implied to him, off the air, that he will not be the manager next year.

After experimenting with a manager who had never done it beyond high school, the Marlins now prefer to hire an experienced one.

One Marlins player expected to be on the 2016 team mentioned that Bud Black, fired as Padres manager, works well with a young team.

And there are other credible names available --- Ron Gardenhire, Dusty Baker among many others. The preference for an experienced candidate would make it far less likely that Miami would revisit hiringMike Lowell, an idea that was discussed previously.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

True. But his speculation is pretty good for the most part. He seems to get some good info, unlike Frisaro who repeats alot of the crap we already know.

The most important thing in that piece is the reminder that Loria changes his mind often.  Its the reason nobody really knows what will happen.

The most important thing in that piece is the reminder that Loria changes his mind often.  Its the reason nobody really knows what will happen.

Yup you are right. If crap really hits the fan these past couple months, not that it hasn't already. I hope he snaps and guts everything in the front office. Business is business.

I really wish we knew what Stanton truly thinks of all this. And despite what most of you assume, I doubt is just him waiting to bail on this sinking ship . He probably genuinely wants to help fix this problem at least until the opt out. I don't think he just wants to ride this shit storm .out.

I think Stanton realizes the core we have and also realizes the absolute disaster this season was that was mostly due to horrible luck with underperformance and injuries. 

I also think he enjoys going to LIV where girls literally molest him and doing cameos on Ballers. For some reason whenever I watch that show I think of Stanton and low and behold he was in the preview for the next episode. Even though the show is mediocre.

I think Stanton realizes the core we have and also realizes the absolute disaster this season was that was mostly due to horrible luck with underperformance and injuries. 

I also think he enjoys going to LIV where girls literally molest him and doing cameos on Ballers. For some reason whenever I watch that show I think of Stanton and low and behold he was in the preview for the next episode. Even though the show is mediocre.

Nice on the cameo! I watch the show, I actually like it.

I would make Stanton and Jose Fernandez untouchable and make everyone else on the roster available depending on what the return is.

I think that if the team were healthy, it would maybe be a .500 team in terms of talent. That's definitely not good enough. I wouldn't mind selling high on a bunch of these guys, and we definitely have the players to do that.

I like the show and its cool Stanton will be on

If Bour is your starting 1B next year, you're not a contender. We need a big bat at 1B who can provide 30+ HRs and get on base behind Stanton. We also need to spend on two true ace pitchers. If you can upgrade Prado, do it via trade. Find a backup catcher and some bullpen help. 

For now, at least we have the Dolphins soon!

Isnt chris davis a FA.

although he's a boras client soooo...

Yes he is a FA.  Anyone else @UltimaKilo?  I'm not trying to be a jackass, just actually curious because if someone wants them to get someone, they should provide examples.  Can't create a player like MLB The Show.

Respectfully, the Marlins aren't signing Cueto, nor trading Ramos for a young hotshot like Bird/Judge. There are to many moving pieces there and it is too soon to give up on much of the Marlins youth.

Also, complaining about Hech is nuts when he has been the 2nd most valuable SS in baseball this year (2.8 WAR currently). Seriously, 2nd most valuable. He is likely a top 12 option moving forward if the defense is real, and if he hits at all, an absolute monster season is coming. I'm not saying buy him out, I'm just saying set him and forget him right now. He has real value and has beyond earned 2016. Realmuto is also not a problem. Get him a veteran backup or hope Telis is alright, and call it a day. No one they get would be a radical upgrade and worth the money.

They need to trade Koehler and Dunn for younger AA relievers and clear that $6+ million in projected payroll. That'll move them to around $55-57 next year. They will have cleared over $25 million including Latos, Haren, Morse, Cishek, and the comp pick.

They need to take that $25 million, and god willingly add an extra $15-20 minimum and go for two tier 2 SP, a lefty basher to help Bour and Dietrich at 1B, and a legitimate 4th OF.

I would say: Scott Kazmir, Jeff Samardzija, Mike Napoli/lefty basher, and Will Venable/other legitimate veteran guy.

This is the team:

Realmuto, Telis

Napoli, Bour (Dietrich) < - 3 man platoon, Napoli still hammers lefties and obviously upside even if he is getting older. I think this combined would be an adequate 6 hole hitter

Gordon (Rojas, Dietrich)

Hech, Rojas (Prado, Dietrich)

Prado, Dietrich (Rojas)

Yelich (Venable, Prado, Dietrich)

Ozuna, Venable (Yelich)

Stanton (Venable, Prado)

Fernandez, Kazmir, Samardzija, Cosart, Phelps/Hand/Nicolino/Urena (DL-Alvarez)

Ramos, Capps, Morris, and take your pick of a collection of Phelps/Hand/Urena/Conley/Ellington/Flores/Rienzo/Barraclough/Wittgren. Plenty of bullpen arms to emerge. They could use another lefty though, which is what I would target with Koehler/Dunn trades.

Kazmir and Samardzija probably cost $30 combined, Napoli would be pretty cheap after this year, let's say $5, and Venable type probably $3+.

That's probably a bottom 5 payroll in baseball, and projects very nicely if the middle infield produce like 2015, and the outfield produces like 2014.

They just have to spend money and fix their problems. Lucky for them, they don't have many.