We should keep Looper

I know a lot of you guys aren't big fans of Looper, but there aren't any better closers on the market, except for Foulke who is out of our price range anyways. I say come in with Looper as closer same as last year, and maybe we'll be able to pick up a big name closer in July like we did last year. There is no need to waste money because we feel that we have to make the bullpen better if there aren't any quality relievers available.

We should keep looper. Farmerfran is right, their arent many closers out there on the Market.

The only thing wrong with looper is his pitch selection. He can throw 98 MPH but if you consistantly throw it they will hit you hard. He needs to improve his breaking pitches. He cant live off his fastball....

I think his problem is in his head, he has the mechanics and stuff to be a successful closer (damn he demonstrated just that, most of the season).

You know a guy we Should Bring up?

Vlad Nunez. I think he has gotten his act together and can pitch like the old Vlady. I really used to like this guy, he had great pitches.

is he even with us anymore?

No

Benitez is an option, as is Al Levine who was with the D-Rays and traded to the Royals late in 2003.

Al Levine in 2003

W 3 L 6 ERA 2.79

Pitching & Defense

Levine worked hard on offseason conditioning and picked up a modest boost on his velocity, though he cannot live on a 90-MPH fastball alone. He gets better results with a sinking 85-MPH fastball than a straight 90-MPH fastball, but his slider is his best pitch. The Angels believe he is useful against all hitters, but his statistics were much better against righthanders (.229 opposing batting average, .299 opposing slugging percentage) than against lefthanders (.288, .470). He is adequate at holding runners on base and is below average as a fielder.

He made under $1 million in 2003 I believe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5642

Benitez is an option, as is Al Levine who was with the D-Rays and traded to the Royals late in 2003.

Al Levine in 2003

W 3 L 6 ERA 2.79

Pitching & Defense

Levine worked hard on offseason conditioning and picked up a modest boost on his velocity, though he cannot live on a 90-MPH fastball alone. He gets better results with a sinking 85-MPH fastball than a straight 90-MPH fastball, but his slider is his best pitch. The Angels believe he is useful against all hitters, but his statistics were much better against righthanders (.229 opposing batting average, .299 opposing slugging percentage) than against lefthanders (.288, .470). He is adequate at holding runners on base and is below average as a fielder.

I figured you'd say Benitez. I tell you this if we make a playoff run, I don't want Benitez coming in, in the 9th.

As for Levine, he's a good pitcher, but not exactly closer material.

Al Levine in 2003

W 3 L 6 ERA 2.79

Pitching & Defense

I figured you'd say Benitez. I tell you this if we make a playoff run, I don't want Benitez coming in, in the 9th.

As for Levine, he's a good pitcher, but not exactly closer material. Well, we apparantly felt the same way about Looper this year (Urbina trade). I think we're trying to get solid guys for the pen, and if we're in it come June and our pen isn't holding it together, we'll be able to go out and get some guys like we did this year with Urbina and Fox. Remember, pitchers, especially relievers are among the most traded players during the season, if we need one it'll be easier to go out and get a reliever than say a right-fielder or a catcher. And I am a big proponent of Benitez becoming our closer if Looper doesn't stay...