Austin Wates released

Admin

Austin Wates was coming off a huge amount of momentum when we traded for him. Low K, high BB numbers with a good mix of contact ability and a nice approach at the plate. The biggest problem that the Marlins FO overlooked was the lack of any power. That one season in AA where he posted an .871 OPS was the only time he showed any ability to hit more than just singles. When that contact skill took a nosedive (batting average from .310 to .299 to .252 to .236), and he walked more than half as much as he did the previous seasons, that low power started to really show itself.

Definitely traded for Wates at his highest value and are now letting him go at his lowest. He's 27 years old and hasn't posted an OPS over .650 since joining the Marlins. I don't know if it was coaching or just a player falling back to where he should be, but just never fit with the Zephyrs. A good showing in 2014 and I have a feeling he would've gotten plate appearances in the majors to open 2015. It really sucks that 2 of the 3 guys we got in the Cosart trade are gone now, and we gave away a solid prospect in Colin Moran (will likely make majors), a top notch defensive OFer with room to grow in Marisnick (already in majors), and somebody who is already being considered one of the best young prospects in baseball after posting ridiculously good numbers in A and A+ ball in Francis Martes. I'm not even mentioning the compensatory pick that turned in Daz Cameron, one of the most talked about prospects of the draft.

When it's all set and done, that Cosart trade could possibly be pointed towards as a major turning point for the both the Marlins and Astros franchises. There's a chance the Astros could end up with four major leaguers from the Marlins in that trade, where the Marlins have nobody left from the trade by 2017.

Marisnick is a 4th OF/defensive replacement type player.  there are usually  a healthy amount of those available to sign every year.  his bat (aside from his hot start last year) never really did too much even playing in Minute Maid (or whatever it's called now). 

Also, I never liked the comparison of "oh well those guys will be major leaguers one day" simply because people like the Solano brothers can be considered major leaguers.  Getting to the bigs is one thing, show me actual SUSTAINED success at the big league level before you say boom or bust. 

Marisnick, Kike Hernandez, Austin Barnes, man we traded away the future NL All-Star team.  We blow.

Don't understand why you are so quick to trash the players we trade away just because they aren't Marlins anymore. Hernandez is 24 years old with a high ceiling, Barnes is going to make a great utility player at worst, and Marisnick is a top tier defensive outfielder with room to improve at the plate. You don't have to be giving away future Hall of Famers to be upset with the players you give away. I'm pretty sure there are tons of World Series teams out there with few All Stars.

The trades we have made have hurt the teams long term future, and players like Canha, Barnes, Hernandez, Heaney, Desclafani, German, etc... are all just examples of a decent farm system that we gave away in trades that didn't work out. You shouldn't be ostracizing fans who are open to reminding everyone that the lack of depth both in the majors and the minors is a result of all these moves over the past few years. It isn't a bad thing to talk about how the team gave away players who are performing admirably with other teams for guys who are either struggling or aren't even on the Marlins anymore (you can keep bringing up Gordon, which is cool because it is an even trade, but we've been burned a lot recently).