Jose Fernandez Rumor

Jokersgoon

I'd rather go with our young guys and figure out if they stink with a cheap backup plans than sign Kennedy for 15 mill a year.  Would we be better with Kennedy?  Probably.  But we need to be efficient with our money and spending 15 mill on a pitcher we know to be ok-above average and nothing more is not an efficient use of our money.

I'd rather go with our young guys and figure out if they stink with a cheap backup plans than sign Kennedy for 15 mill a year.  Would we be better with Kennedy?  Probably.  But we need to be efficient with our money and spending 15 mill on a pitcher we know to be ok-above average and nothing more is not an efficient use of our money.

Our young guys are really really bad though and they're not going to get better (except maybe conloey). Koehler is absolutley terrible. He will not survive as a starter in 2016. 

Kennedy is not franchise changing obviously, but he is is super solid piece to have. If they actually did get a bauer/matz/shelby miller type for ozuna then that would be a really acceptable 1-2-3. 

Our young guys are really really bad though and they're not going to get better (except maybe conloey). Koehler is absolutley terrible. He will not survive as a starter in 2016. 

Kennedy is not franchise changing obviously, but he is is super solid piece to have. If they actually did get a bauer/matz/shelby miller type for ozuna then that would be a really acceptable 1-2-3. 

Conley has the potential to be good as does nicolino despite the lack of strikeouts. Ian Kennedy at 15 million Ina horrible use of our limited assets.  He is an average pitcher who appears to be volatile in his consistency.  Not worth 15 million for the lowest payroll in baseball at all.

“The cost is so overwhelming that I don’t think he is really available,” one executive said.

Essentially only a team going for it all would trade for Fernandez. However, the Marlins are currently committed to trying to win in 2016, so to give up their No. 1 starter, they would need multiple players back who can help next season. Thus, an acquiring team would have to rob from its 2016 club to obtain Fernandez, which makes it – in the words of one executive – “a tough bridge to cross.”

Another executive capitalized “HUGE” in a text message to say he could only see a deal going down in a “HUGE scenario.” Translation: An acquiring team would have to be willing to give up high-end, controllable players who are viable in 2016.

Conley has the potential to be good as does nicolino despite the lack of strikeouts. Ian Kennedy at 15 million Ina horrible use of our limited assets.  He is an average pitcher who appears to be volatile in his consistency.  Not worth 15 million for the lowest payroll in baseball at all.

There's nothing in Nicolino's previous or current make-up that suggests he will ever be a viable MLB starter. His pitches stink. 

I agree on conley big time. He's a change up away from be very good

I'm with Erick on this one. The team as currently constructed isn't competing next year, there's absolutely no chance of us resigning Jose within the next three years, and there are holes on the team that need to be fixed. Obviously a good team finds a way to keep a player like Jose Fernandez on the team forever, but if the team would be able to get 2 of Seager/Urias/Pederson along with some good younger players in their system, I feel like the Marlins would do it. We can keep Jose until 2018 and then let him leave, but if the team doesn't want to spend money, then it's just three years of Jose wasting his time with losing teams before leaving for a big free agent contract. Our farm system is also so bad that we can't trade for any players that could help on the major league level. The Marlins have constructed their team so poorly that they have to make the decision to either start spending large amounts of money or trade away some of their top players to replenish the major league and farm teams. From the looks of it, it seems the Marlins decided that they may go the trading players route.

There's nothing in Nicolino's previous or current make-up that suggests he will ever be a viable MLB starter. His pitches stink. 

I agree on conley big time. He's a change up away from be very good

Theres nothing in his makeup except for his success at every level he's been in.

I'm with Erick on this one. The team as currently constructed isn't competing next year, there's absolutely no chance of us resigning Jose within the next three years, and there are holes on the team that need to be fixed. Obviously a good team finds a way to keep a player like Jose Fernandez on the team forever, but if the team would be able to get 2 of Seager/Urias/Pederson along with some good younger players in their system, I feel like the Marlins would do it. We can keep Jose until 2018 and then let him leave, but if the team doesn't want to spend money, then it's just three years of Jose wasting his time with losing teams before leaving for a big free agent contract. Our farm system is also so bad that we can't trade for any players that could help on the major league level. The Marlins have constructed their team so poorly that they have to make the decision to either start spending large amounts of money or trade away some of their top players to replenish the major league and farm teams. From the looks of it, it seems the Marlins decided that they may go the trading players route.

None of this would be a problem if Loria would just increase payroll just a reasonable amount. Its like after 2012 he decided not spending a single penny more was the way to go. No one is asking him to spend like the Dodgers and Yankees but come on, you sign your star to a backloaded contract and you have your own ballpark in which you promised that both would lead to higher payrolls but still nothing? Shit man.