Jose Fernandez Rumor

Jokersgoon

The haul for Jose should and would be astronomical... but at what point though does this team stop trying to get the king's ransom in trades and try getting the world series trophy instead?

When they stop trading away the farm for mediocre players. If there really isn't a good chance for us to sign Jose Fernandez long term then deal him now. Only thing I see is Urias is 19 years old and probably another year away? If they are looking to improve this year in a deal by dealing Fernandez, who do they get back on the pitching side to do that?

The only way I'd live with trading Jose is if it legitimately helped us contend in 2016. Not in 2019 or some crap like that. I wanna be a contender now.

This team has no chance of contending in 2016...so get that out of your system.

The current team is 3 years away without help...and will be the most frustrating thing to watch.

If we did the trade we would be fun to watch and 1 year away.

The only way I'd live with trading Jose is if it legitimately helped us contend in 2016. Not in 2019 or some crap like that. I wanna be a contender now.

Were not gonna be a contender next year no matter what.  We are not spending on the rotation and realistically we can't compete next year.  IF we can completely revitalize the farm system and get the #2 and #4 prospect in all of baseball plus more. you gotta do it.

There's no need to trade Jose this off season.  We still have four years of control over him and he has to pitch an entire healthy season for any team to give up a "kings ransom" for him.  I seriously doubt that he gets traded.  

What they need to worry about is upgrading the rotation for 2016 however they can. They also need to get that new TV deal done.  Not sure when the current one expires.  After that they need to sign Jose to a large contract and keep the fan base happy.  You  know, just common sense stuff.  

I really hope they take the Stanton route and wait it out a little bit longer and try to get a deal done at some point.

Then don't trade him. That's my point. The FO thinks we are a contender for 2016. Trade him to make that possible or keep him and add pieces to make it possible.

We are not a contender whether we trade him or keep him.  We just don't have the money to spend to make that happen.

There's no need to trade Jose this off season.  We still have four years of control over him and he has to pitch an entire healthy season for any team to give up a "kings ransom" for him.  I seriously doubt that he gets traded.  

What they need to worry about is upgrading the rotation for 2016 however they can. They also need to get that new TV deal done.  Not sure when the current one expires.  After that they need to sign Jose to a large contract and keep the fan base happy.  You  know, just common sense stuff.  

I really hope they take the Stanton route and wait it out a little bit longer and try to get a deal done at some point.

this.

We actually have 3 years left of control, had they waited about a week or so in 2013 to call him up we would have had 4. Stupid move by them and it cost us big time now. Considering he has only pitched about a year and a half for us,  being out with TJ and injuries last year as well. TV deal needs to happen for us to really generate some revenue along with naming rights on the stadium. That will be worked on sometime during the 2016 season so they can have it for the 2017 ASG. Even with the TV deal they are trying to re-negotiate years earlier on that.

IF you have the chance to get top guys like that you strike while you can and don't look back, settling and taking throws in and BS is where it hurts you. Look back at the Cabrera deal, they got Maybin and Miller and then a bunch of throw ins that never even panned out. Looking back at that deal the Dodgers offered a good deal and we got stupid greedy and lost out on it.

I still think the leverage is on the side of the Marlins, since the Dodgers might get desperate after losing Grienke. 

Heck they just acquired Chapman and didn't even give up the guys we discussed. More than like it is Peraza heading over to Cincy with another prospect.

Serious question that needs to be asked to Mike Hill at this point...

Stanton's deal is still heavily backloaded, if I'm not mistaken he's making less than $7 million in 2016... several players were traded away at the '15 deadline... both of those things were said to be done to allow the team to invest money in improving the on field product... where is that investment now?

More needs to be made of this.

What is the point of asking him? They are just going to give a BS cookie cutter answer about resources and doing their best to search what works best for the organization. They are pretty much set on staying at $80 million and don't plan on changing that this year. They will continue to cry foul until they get their TV deal.

Why we continue to back load deals so much and never reap the actual benefits of it is beyond me? Just signals that Loria is making his exit before the money on that contract really kicks in.

Here is his contract break down:

2015: $6.5 million2016: $9 million2017: $14.5 million2018: $25 million2019: $26 million2020: $26 million2021: $29 million2022: $29 million2023: $32 million2024: $32 million2025: $32 million2026: $29 million2027: $25 million2028: $25 million option ($10 million buyout)

I agree with you though, with a contract like that right now you gotta push to add more.

An even better question: How would Stanton react? He signed a 13-year, $325 million extension in November 2014, partly under the premise that the Marlins would field competitive teams around him. It would be difficult for the Marlins to fulfill such a pledge if they traded Fernandez.

Anything is possible at the winter meetings. Anything is possible with the Marlins. But as far as trading Jose Fernandez, it’s still a long way from Point A to Point B.

-Ken Rosenthal