Uncle Leo

Trades - We Be Sellin'

Here's the thing. He's already turned it around. People just aren't noticing because it's not the 9th inning and it's understood that we suck now.

Except that's not true. 

Cishek's value is at an all-time low, may make more sense to hang onto him and see if he turns things around in the second half.  Then we can deal him in the off-season for a better deal.  Never sell low.  Right now we'd get a nothing guy back for him (Turner trade-ish).  If he doesn't turn things around in 2nd half, that same deal will be there or we could just non-tender him.  This is no risk, all reward type thinking here.

The one thing is his salary. If we are only able to get what we'd get now in the offseason, that's a net 3.3m loss. You need to be confident you can get a better trade in the offseason to keep him.

I read that Toronto is looking for starting pitching help.  Maybe we can get Justin Smoak from them.  Between Colabelo and Encarnacion they have other options at first base.  I know Smoak hasn't been great or lived up to his potential but he is having his best season so far, and is just 28.  Seeing as we have a black hole at first base in the entire organization and also the fact that our trading assets don't have the greatest value, this might be worth a flyer and something the Jays would consider. 

Trade Haren back to the Dodgers for one of their OF's / 1B if they can spare one.

Keep the money, make a mockery of it.

Or trade Haren to the Padres for one of their hitters.

If the Dodgers are going to add someone to that rotation it's going to be someone like Cole Hamels, not Haren.

Except that's not true. 

Good analysis would read again.

I'm not going into this again. I've posted Cishek's recent stats and he's not giving up runs anymore. I don't even care if he's on the team or not next year I just hate reading everybody trash Cishek like he's the worst reliever ever this year. It's annoying to read like he didn't bring great value for us the last 4+ years.

It's not all about giving up runs. His WHIP is close to 1.60 or something since he's come back up. That suggests that he's still shaky and could start giving up runs again.

Reading all this kinda makes me think we're not exactly "sellers"... we're "buying for next year"... Does that make sense? 

As long as it's not just a fire sale and we're still making moves with a focus on contending as soon as realistically possible (2016) then this is all good despite the disappointment of this season.

That's the typical Marlins propaganda line. They are never "sellers" but are always "buying" for something, even if it's prospects for a year or two down the road.

Honestly, that's what they should be doing, but I wish the FO would be more straightforward about what they are trying to achieve.

Again, as long as the Marlins refuse to eat some of the salaries of the players they trade, they will continue getting subpar prospects in return (see, e.g., Nolasco, Ricky).  So what's the point, really?