Uncle Leo

Trades - We Be Sellin'

Although the trade deadline is looming, I would still like to see how the rotation of Fernandez, Alvarez, Cosart, Latos, and Koehler do for the rest of the season.

Wishful thinking.

What's the point of holding onto Latos unless they plan to re-sign him?  I mean they may but I just doubt it right now.

Latos is definitely a wild card.  If he throws well tonight and in his next couple of starts, he could still be traded given a higher perceived value.  Realistically, I predict Latos and his salary get dumped and Urena stays in the rotation.

Ideally Latos improves from here on out, we win every game he starts including tonight, his value rises, and we then trade him for a nice piece of 2016. That's the perfect scenario with Latos right there. If you wanna extend it to Latos himself that would likely help him get a nice free agent contract whether it's with us or not.

The other factor to all this is an abysmal offense.  With Jose, Alvarez, and Cosart getting healthier, do the Fish trade the likes of Latos, Haren, Cishek, and Prado in exchange for some instant offense?

See . . . who says watching a team with a losing record is no fun?

jesus.   that is bananas right there.

Loria finally goes out & spends a little and they all bomb.  He's going to retreat back into his shell again.

You probably nailed it. 

What's the point of holding onto Latos unless they plan to re-sign him?  I mean they may but I just doubt it right now.

The only reason would be getting a comp pick at the end of the year.

But then you need to be sure that

1) The comp pick is better than what he would get in a trade

2) He will be viable for a comp pick

3) He won't accept arbitration

If he's building up steam and you think someone might be desperate and will pony up more in August, you could also skip the July 31st deadline and hope for a good deal then. But trading him before the trade deadline makes the most sense unless you're looking to extend him.

Obviously the one year guys like Haren and Latos should be and will be dealt for the maximum return.

The only people under club control past this year they should trade are Cishek and Morse. Other than that keep all the talent you can on the roster stocked up for next year and beyond. No point in trading Kohler, Hand or anyone else that gives us more value than their possible return. Even Prado is super valuable considering his versatility and the fact that we have him at a discount thanks to the Yanks.

Yea but could we realistically get for Morse and Cishek? Throw in Lorias desire to never pay any salary to maybe improve on the return and you're left with ... ? Nada. If anything we'd have to give something away to entice someone to take on Morse at this point. He really has no value. Playing like shit, no pop, hurt his finger and now back, will be a year older... Cishek still has some hope but Morse... If we released him no one would pick him up, much less give us anything in return. Only shot is if he comes back tearing it up and someone desperately needs a L bat but I don't see it happening

imo :

real Keepers:  stanton, fernandez, yelich, capps and dee

sort of Keepers:  ozuna, hech and alvarez  

get Rid of asap:  haren (t-value) morse (junk)

upgrade catcher 1st base center relief pitching and hitting coach ... oh yeah and maybe get a real manager?

BTW: for those hopeful on Morse - He stunk up the minor leagues K-ing 16 times (in only 34 ab's) and now is crying about a sore back.