Jose on offseason stories about his attitude...

Marlins ace Jose Fernandez admits he was hurt by offseason stories (from WINZ’s Andy Slater and others) quoting teammates anonymously and suggesting some of them don’t like him.

“A lot of teammates called me [about that] and said, ‘We don’t know what’s going on,'" he said. "It’s not the case. If that was the case, it would be obvious. I’ve learned a lot. I try to be a good teammate, trying to teach [the young players]. [Former Marlins pitcher] Dan Haren taught me so much. You will make mistakes.”

Not every teammate gets along, and Fernandez’s brashness and cockiness have undoubtedly rubbed some the wrong way, as Slater correctly noted.

But Fernandez seemed more subdued early in camp.

He said he’s pleased he wasn’t traded: “I love being a Marlin. I love pitching at home [where he’s 17-0]. I’m really happy. If we can work out [a contract beyond 2018], great.”

From Barry Jackson... Jose says he's made mistakes as a teammate but a lot of teammates disagree with the reports about his clubhouse behavior. Jose also ends by not ruling out the possiblity of an extension here. I don't think it means he'd settle for a hometown discount but if the Marlins can find the money I think Jose would take it.

I still refuse to believe that Jose is actively going out of his way to be obnoxious, not on the basis of how good he seems on camera, but in the context of his life story and the steps he took to get where he is.  It is so easy to spread libel about people nowadays, and it gains legitimacy immediately, for no reason.

I think it's pretty much understood now that Jose's attitude rubs some the wrong way but it isn't something he does on purpose, it isn't a true clubhouse problem, it's something he's trying to fix, and the media reports were overblown by former players with an axe to grind and a radio host looking to make a mountain out of an ant hill.

Or at least that's the way I read it now, someone stop me if I'm wrong.

From Barry Jackson... Jose says he's made mistakes as a teammate but a lot of teammates disagree with the reports about his clubhouse behavior. Jose also ends by not ruling out the possiblity of an extension here. I don't think it means he'd settle for a hometown discount but if the Marlins can find the money I think Jose would take it.

Just give him all the TV deal and ballpark naming right money.