Bryce Harper says baseball is boring, needs more stars like Jose Fernandez

Washington Nationals slugger Bryce Harper is one of the flashiest and most exciting players in Major League Baseball, and the reigning National League MVP is hopeful his style will become more commonplace.

In an interview with Tim Keown of ESPN The Magazine, the 23-year-old superstar called baseball a "tired sport" and stressed the importance of allowing young players to show their personality:

You can't do what people in other sports do. I'm not saying baseball is, you know, boring or anything like that, but it's the excitement of the young guys who are coming into the game now who have flair. If that's Matt Harvey or Jacob deGrom or Manny Machado or Joc Pederson or Andrew McCutchen or Yasiel Puig—there's so many guys in the game now who are so much fun.

Harper specifically pointed toward Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez as the type of player whom others should emulate in order to make the game more fun:

Jose Fernandez is a great example. Jose Fernandez will strike you out and stare you down into the dugout and pump his fist. And if you hit a homer and pimp it? He doesn't care. Because you got him. That's part of the game. It's not the old feeling—hoorah ... if you pimp a homer, I'm going to hit you right in the teeth. No. If a guy pimps a homer for a game-winning shot ... I mean—sorry.

Found this interesting since he specifically names Jose Fernandez as an example. This goes with the age old argument of tradition vs new school excitement. Thoughts?

Agreed 100%. Stop being emotionless turds. Stop reacting so defensively and violently when someone shows a drop of emotion. Start celebrating yourself and what your team does. Hit a bomb. FLIP DAT BAT SON, but don't yell into the opposing teams dugout. K a dude and make him look like a fool at the plate? PUMP YO FIST and let him know you got em. Be a human on the field, because pretty soon that will be all that separates you from being replaced by a fucking robot team. 

Damn I'm bored at work. 

Robot teams dont sound so bad

Guest Vince0926
Koehler is one of my favorite Marlins, but I wanted to slap the shit out of him that day.

My wife went to that game. The crowd cheered.

Guest Vince0926
Swag in baseball? I'm all for it.

Joey Bats bat flip was probably the greatest moment in baseball in the last 20 years. 

But again it's all fun and games until one team gets butthurt and your star player is getting a fastball up and in.

You meant 12 years, buddy!

Guest Vince0926

Before I was born, late one night, my papa said everything's alright

The doctor laughed, my 'ma laid down, with her stomach bouncing all around

Cause the bebop stork was about to arrive

Mama gave birth to the hand-jive

Bat flips and stare downs should be ok and so should a pitcher not getting ejected for plunking the guy that was show boating. It's easy to do the Bautista thing when you don't have to worry about the pitcher throwing at you for doing it. That's what's great about hockey. You want to showboat after a goal the guy can always hit you and fight you later on in the game. 

Guest Vince0926
The Bautista bat flip moment is one of the best I've ever seen. W/out that bat flip, its just a good memory. The flip and how he did it sealed that moment for all time. 

Culture of winning. Bautista knew dyson was on the Marlins and did what he did. In other news, he hates ex teammates Mathis and Reyes and used to shit in mark buehrle's shoes.

Culture of winning. Bautista knew dyson was on the Marlins and did what he did. In other news, he hates ex teammates Mathis and Reyes and used to shit in mark buehrle's shoes.

So if it was against a pitcher with no ties to the Marlins he wouldn't have done the bat flip right?

Good thing Johan Santana wasn't the pitcher then.

Washington Nationals slugger Bryce Harper is one of the flashiest and most exciting players in Major League Baseball, and the reigning National League MVP is hopeful his style will become more commonplace.

In an interview with Tim Keown of ESPN The Magazine, the 23-year-old superstar called baseball a "tired sport" and stressed the importance of allowing young players to show their personality:

You can't do what people in other sports do. I'm not saying baseball is, you know, boring or anything like that, but it's the excitement of the young guys who are coming into the game now who have flair. If that's Matt Harvey or Jacob deGrom or Manny Machado or Joc Pederson or Andrew McCutchen or Yasiel Puig—there's so many guys in the game now who are so much fun.

Harper specifically pointed toward Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez as the type of player whom others should emulate in order to make the game more fun:

Jose Fernandez is a great example. Jose Fernandez will strike you out and stare you down into the dugout and pump his fist. And if you hit a homer and pimp it? He doesn't care. Because you got him. That's part of the game. It's not the old feeling—hoorah ... if you pimp a homer, I'm going to hit you right in the teeth. No. If a guy pimps a homer for a game-winning shot ... I mean—sorry.

Found this interesting since he specifically names Jose Fernandez as an example. This goes with the age old argument of tradition vs new school excitement. Thoughts?

If you read the article he specifically says he does not call baseball boring just the players.