Final Roster- Your Guesses and What it should actually be?

What is your guys opinions on what the final roster will be and what it should be now that we are getting down to the last camp cuts?

Mine:

Hitters:

C- Realmuto, Mathis (Unfortunately)

1b- Bour/ Johnson-  Would be a great platoon that would allow us to OPS over .800 for the position as a whole.  Will not be a great platoon and show the marlins still don't understand how platoons can help the team as a whole.

2b-  Dee Gordon- not sure why he likes playing here but I'm glad he does.  Should be another very good year for him.  Love dee.

SS-Hech, Rojas-  As much shit as Hech gets here (and I give him the most), he can be an all star if he just can get his OPS to around .750.  He has made huge improvements every year and I expect him to be much improved with the bat yet again, albeit that doesnt make him a good bat.  But good for him being able to stick it out here and improve every year.  He is our long term starter here-

3b- Prado- Hate how we didn't try to improve from Prado here.  Great clubhouse guy from the sounds of it but his numbers from last year were bad and they were only as good as they were cause he had an inflated september.  He is pretty average to below average and seems like the type of guy the marlins love holding onto way too long.

OF- Ozuna, Stanton, Yelich-  This team can be very good this year if things break right and by "if things break right" I mean Stanton stops breaking things.  These 3 need to stay healthy and live up to their potential for us to do anything this year.

Bench- Rojas, Mathis, Ichiro (Cause were the marlins of course and when you can re-sign a guy who is 42 years old coming off a season where he OPS'ed .560 in 400 Ab's you gotta do it), Dietrich Johnson.  Would be a very quality bench if we actually were a real major league team instead of a minor league team looking to sell seats and actually signed a 4th OF instead of a gimmick.

SP- Jose, Chen, Koehler, Cosart, Conley-  Pretty set in stone at this point.  IDK why Conley was not more hyped up coming through the system. He is a high floor guy who performed literally every year except the year he battled injuries.  He is gonna be a #3 type guy for us for years to come.  I can easily see our rotation being a strength of this team for this year.

RP- Ramos, Morris, Dunn, Jackson, Phelps, Breslow, TBD?

So is this pretty much the team?  If so, we actually have great young talent, we just are once again going to be done in by ownership once again because once the inevitable injury happens we have no depth cause we cheap out on moves every offseason that leave us with absolutely no depth.  But once again it will be a lost year that will be chalked up to injuries despite the fact that every team has injuries and we will also throw away games giving guys playing time they don't deserve for monetary reasons.

Uhhh Prado was good last season.

lol are you only looking at his final numbers?  His numbers are incredibly inflated due to a great september that was completely utterly meaningless.

His final OPS of .732 is nothing special for a 3b and that is even an inflated number.  His OPS by month every month before september: .668,.684,.696,.661, .739 followed by a .975 OPS for September.  He also only OPS'ed .695 against righties compared to .856 against lefties.  He is a platoon guy on a good team.  Granted he really crushed it to get us from 26 games under to only 20 games under at the end of the year.  He is not a guy that should have gone the entire offseason without any talk of him losing his job or improving on him.

Who would you have replaced him with?

I would have to look back at guys who were available and what not but that wasn't my point.  I wasn't advocating for anyone in particular, I was saying the fact that he went from game 162 last year to spring training this year with no talk of improving at 3b is a bit ridiculous.  

So much of this teams offseason was based upon september results when the rosters were expanded and we were already 29 games under .500 it is absolutely absurd.  This front office is gonna chalk it up to luck when Prado has a down year without looking into his numbers at all last year.  He was awful at the plate with absolutely no power for 5/6 months of the year last year.

You said you hated how we didn't try to improve at 3B that Prado did a good enough job coming in at 3.1WAR. With feels that strong I imagined you had some candidates in mind that were available.

I'm guessing there wasn't talk because he did just fine on the field and especially off. The marlins love that off the field shit, too. 3B was probably one of the last places the marlins should or would have looked to improve. 

I'd love to see what his WAR was before going off in September in absolutely meaningless games.  

I like Prado, I just think he should be a platoon/utility guy like he used to be used on good teams when he was younger and better instead of an everyday 3b. He's not gonna kill the team but he's incredibly replaceable, especially given that he was completely useless as a hitter until we were 30 games under .500.  He had an OPS of .670 as an everyday 3b up until mid august.

He had a really good sept, but the rest of the season wasn't exactly bad in the way you are trying to portray:

Season

Monthly

G

AB

PA

H

1B

2B

3B

HR

R

RBI

BB

IBB

SO

HBP

SF

SH

GDP

SB

CS

AVG

Mar/Apr

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sept/Oct

1st Half

2nd Half

Season

Monthly

BB%

K%

BB/K

AVG

OBP

SLG

OPS

ISO

BABIP

wRC

wRAA

wOBA

wRC+

Mar/Apr

4.5 %

14.6 %

May

3.1 %

13.3 %

Jun

7.4 %

5.6 %

Jul

5.4 %

14.3 %

Aug

8.3 %

13.2 %

Sept/Oct

11.7 %

10.7 %

1st Half

4.4 %

12.2 %

2nd Half

8.9 %

12.5 %

In June he went on the 15 day DL with a shoulder sprain. His numbers clearly show he was injured. Then he came back and did just fine.

Also, from what I remember, no one better than Prado was available anyways. So no. 

Given that we have no assets cause we are a horseshit organization that doesnt spend money, trades away draft picks, and doesnt invest internationally, ya he was probably the only choice, but a good team of major league quality ownership who doesnt mind spending money or has any kind of farm system could have found an improvement on him. 

I don't want to turn this into a hate on Prado cause I honestly don't mind him, he's a very average player and won't be a complete black hole in the lineup like a guy like Ichiro if he has to start, but he can be improved on.

Yup, but he should be replaced. Him and his 3WAR can just be found simply in free agency for a price the marlins can afford.

I don't evaluate players by your nerd metrics, geek. How was the sound of the crack of his bat last year? 

One of those things that shouldn't ever need to be stated, just known

What if the sentence prior was, "who would you rather have in a hostage situation where the guy taking hostages says he will let everyone go if he ends up being better than a major league player at baseball?" The odds are better that the guy will be better than Solano (most people are) than he will be better than Prado.

Also, I don't know why I wrote this.

Guest Guest
What if the sentence prior was, "who would you rather have in a hostage situation where the guy taking hostages says he will let everyone go if he ends up being better than a major league player at baseball?" The odds are better that the guy will be better than Solano (most people are) than he will be better than Prado.

Also, I don't know why I wrote this.

I got lost while trying to read that. If only I had double-majored at FSU, maybe I'd understand better.

Guest Guest

Roster so far looks like this:

Lineup:

Gordon, Ozuna, Yelich, Stanton, Bour, Realmuto, Prado, Hech

Rotation:

Chen, Jose, TK, Conley, Cosart

Bench:

Mathis, DD, Ichiro, Johnson, Rojas

Pen:

Dunn, Ramos, Phelps, Jackson, Morris

Two spots left

Roster so far looks like this:

Lineup:

Gordon, Ozuna, Yelich, Stanton, Bour, Realmuto, Prado, Hech

Rotation:

Chen, Jose, TK, Conley, Cosart

Bench:

Mathis, DD, Ichiro, Johnson, Rojas

Pen:

Dunn, Ramos, Phelps, Jackson, Morris

Two spots left

Hope we signed Neal Cotts for one spot.

Guest Guest

Gotta figure one more lefty gets in and I'd say Breslow leads the competition there barring some FA signing. Though that's just my gut there. Ege is still alive for that job too. It will not be Hand, I'm confident there.