He went on a very stupid rant about the slide rule causing players to "embarrass the game".

"What are they supposed to do? Just stop running a tail off so that the game doesn't get taken by the umpires?"

I don't know man, maybe they should just SLIDE INTO SECOND BASE INSTEAD OF INTO THE SECOND BASEMAN.

They are running into second base. That's what he's complaining about. It's a clear difference between running into second base and making contact with the second baseman out of happenstance than to intentionally take out the second baseman. Thus far this season everyone is being penalized for simply sliding into the base.

Rich was also pointing out how teams who weren't even going for a double play are being awarded double plays because of the way the rule is written. Batters are beating out plays to first and are being called out. that's horrible.

Yeah and it'll be changed soon I think

Unless I'm mistaken, they have been penalized in situations where they didn't slide into the base. I'm an Astros fan so I watched as Rasmus made zero attempt to actually touch the bag. 

Batista also made zero attempt to touch the bag earlier in the week.

These guys are trying to break up the double play, not reach base safely. I've never understood why it's alright to take out guys at some bases (2nd and home) and not others (1st and 3rd). It's completely nonsensical.

Unless I'm mistaken, they have been penalized in situations where they didn't slide into the base. I'm an Astros fan so I watched as Rasmus made zero attempt to actually touch the bag. 

Batista also made zero attempt to touch the bag earlier in the week.

These guys are trying to break up the double play, not reach base safely. I've never understood why it's alright to take out guys at some bases (2nd and home) and not others (1st and 3rd). It's completely nonsensical.

Have you always been an Astros fan, or did Loria's antics push you away?