We removed the player with the 20th worst wRC+ in baseball from the two hole for the 7th worst

Nny

To give you an idea how bad Realmuto has been so far:

He's third in baseball in GB%. Which isn't bad if you hit the ball hard. The players in front of him (Villar and Freeze) have hit a ball softly <7% of the time. Realmuto has 35% of the time, 4th worst in the majors.

He has hit a grand total of 11 balls into the outfield.

He's young and I still believe in him but damn

Wait Realmuto is batting second? I could've sworn it was Prado most recently. I'm guessing Realmuto is 2nd in today's game then.

That's a stupid thing to do. Also, as somebody who has watched Realmuto grow in the minors, he may ultimately just be a decent backup catching option at the major league level. Nothing I've seen from him the last few years gives me confidence in him in the lineup long term.

He's not great but he's not this bad, just slow start.

Obviously he's not a sub .500 OPS hitter, but I'm not sure how high his ceiling really is. He was a near .700 OPS hitter last year as a rookie, so there's decent room for improvement, but he only had one and a half good seasons in the minors with a lot of struggling in between. He doesn't have plate discipline and his bat speed leaves a great deal to be desired. If we can get a 2 WAR catcher every year I'm sure that's fine, but I don't know how much he will ever improve on that.

But we literally have nothing in the system catcher wise, have no assets in the system to trade for somebody else's catcher, and have an owner and front office that'll never spend for an established catcher, so there's really nothing else but to hope that Realmuto hits his potential. But that's a much bigger gamble than we should be relying on. Luckily we're far from a playoff team so not really a stressful environment.

I wish somebody outside of Yelich had plate discipline on this team (Stanton gets walks, but a big reason is because some pitchers are careful with him). I feel we have to be near the bottom in league walk's the past two years.

It's also worth pointing out that, while his traditional fielding ability is good, his pitch framing is terrible. He was 4th worst last year, currently 5th worst this year.

I do still think he'll be fine. Good enough production from a C, but just too many holes to be more than averageish.

Not sure what's up with Realmuto, but I think he'll be fine. He's hitting under .200 now, but he's more of a .270-.280 guy.

I think he's more of a mid to low .200s guy. He's not a good hitter. We can just excuse it a little because he plays solid defense, runs well, and is a catcher. 

Guest Vince0926
Salty's 1.114 OPS makes Realmuto's start scrotum crushing for me.  

well when you leave the marlins, usually....you know the rest.

Guest Vince0926
Yeah because salty was a 1.000 OPS player before and after the marlins. The guy isn't good, and it has nothing to do with the marlins. 

it seems like post marlins are the fortunate ones.

Guest Vince0926

based on my COL theory, there are few marlins I would think have sucked regardless where they went and anybody else can have with no regrets. morse comes to mind, hermida, etc.

Guest Vince0926
Seems and is are two different things. Do you have a list of players in that crazy memory of yours that were better after they left the fish?

I'm at bit sickly today so I'm not thinking straight, but I feel there are more players in recent memory that shine more than they were here in the COL era (2012). I feel hanley, salty, latos, hand, etc. now there have been some players that have gotten here that have sucked ever since like bell, brantly. so after more thinking instead of 85% of all marlins do well post-fish, I think it could be about 70%.

Guest Vince0926
hanley - was PHENOMINAL for the marlins for 5 years. His 2011 and 2012 (partial) seasons with the marlins were mediocre. Since leaving, he was very good (but not better than he was with the fish) for 1 season and then good the following. 2015 he was bad and 2016 looks just as bad. Conclusion, C0L denied.

salty - The marlins signed him after his one and only good season. Maybe this is what you're confusing. The marlins in recent memory (2012ish) have signed players coming off career years and when they come back down to earth, suddenly its C0L. I guess you can say the FO is really bad so C0L, but that isn't culture. Thats poor management that can be fixed with a personnel change. Anyways, before the marlins he had one good season in 2011. His 2015 year with the fish wasn't even that bad. It just wasn't good. Conclusion, C0L denied.

latos - He had 4 good seasons and then got hurt. Shit happens. He was a risk and hope for bounceback. He didn't do so here or elsewhere. He's started this season off lucky. Check his peripherals, but benefit of the doubt given, C0L plausible if he sustains success over 2 seasons.

hand - Seriously? He's a relief pitcher now and is walking everyone. Conclusion, C0L denied. 

eovaldi - 2014 with the marlins vs 2015 with the yankees. Eovaldi was basically the same pitcher, but ended up with more wins. Why? Run support. The yanks doubled his run support. Literally doubled it. All of Eovaldi's stats are basically the same. Conclusion, C0L denied.

Andrew miller - Sucks as a starter here and elsewhere. Redsox tried him out of the pen and he still wasn't that good after 2 seasons. It took him until 2014, 4 years after the marlins, for him to be valuable. Conclusion, C0L denied.

hatcher - LOL. What? He had his "career" year in 2014 with the fish, and honestly sucks just as bad with the dodgers. Conclusion, C0L denied.

thanks for your input but I read your description of hanley and threw up. no really, I literally just threw up. sick.

culture is the whole landscape if you will. ownership, failed minor leaguers, failed team, "the marlins way", "of course it happens to us", if you will. predictableness, if you will.