Nefi Ogando Called Up

Not that I hate the move, but I weep for Ellington.

Ellington has some things to work on though. In just 10 innings, he's allowed 9 walks and 2 home runs. He'll be a solid reliever soon, but I don't think he would be right now. Ogando is a strike thrower, which will be a nice thing to have in the bullpen. If I weep for anyone, it's for Wittgren.

Wittgren has a very low ceiling, but a high floor, so I understand.  Ellington had a proven stint of success last year, though.  He allowed baserunners, but not runs.  I am concerned about the two homers in the span you mentioned, because not too many hitters had solid contact off of him last year, and the sample was big enough for that to matter.  And yeah, I like bringing Ogando up.

That's very hard to sustain though. Allowing baserunners and not runs can usually be chalked up to luck, not skill. If Ellington is able to bear down and get guys out when there are men on base, why can't he do it with the bases empty? He'll be a solid late inning guy when he throws more strikes. Until then, he should continue to work on his game in the minors. (Agreed about the home runs, by the way, he seems to be giving up much harder contact this season, which is concerning.) 

Ellington does need to get his control together but I believe Ogando throws hard so its surprising he doesn't have more strikeouts. 

Eh, Nathan Eovaldi throws harder and he can't strike anybody out either (small 2016 sample size notwithstanding.) Big league hitters can catch up to any fastball if it isn't set up by something with movement or offspeed. 

Eovaldi's fastball is unbelievably flat.  His success relies solely on the development of his secondary pitches, which is why we should have kept him.  It hurts to not have him around to be a #5 or a long reliever who makes spot starts.

I actually love the Eovaldi trade for us. We got Martin Prado and David Phelps and gave up Eovaldi, the shell of Garrett Jones, and Domingo German, who hasn't pitched since 2014. We also got the Yankees to pay almost all of Prado's salary. It's one of the few trades we've won lately. 

I actually love the Eovaldi trade for us. We got Martin Prado and David Phelps and gave up Eovaldi, the shell of Garrett Jones, and Domingo German, who hasn't pitched since 2014. We also got the Yankees to pay almost all of Prado's salary. It's one of the few trades we've won lately. 

This. Even if you like Eovaldi, it was a good trade for us.

I love what we got.  Martin Prado is ranked right behind Arenado, Donaldson, and Machado, as far as I'm concerned; and David Phelps is not only doing an incredible job this year, but he was also our most reliable starter for the first two or three months of last season.  I just feel we could have gotten them without losing Eovaldi.

I love Prado, but:

Carpenter, Duffy, Beltre, Longoria, Seager, Frazier, and Moustakas all need to be on that list too.