How much money are they paying Chen??

Assuming he exercises his option after next season (no reason why he wouldn't), the Marlins owe him a guaranteed $80 million. He will be earning $15.5 million next season. Ouch.

This is when the Marlins failure to have a decent farm system really hurts.

I was actually just looking and his advanced metrics suck too so take back what I said about his peripherals looking fine. 

It's all in the HR. He's posting among his best K/BB of his career.

And considering his HR rates were considerably lower in a hitters ball park in the AL east, I think they'll go down here. He's been really bad so far, but two months is a bit early to say a multi year contract is a bust.

By the way,how much do the ChiSox paid the "unbelievable suck" Shields ?

I don't feel like looking into how much they're paying him, but his last four starts, WOW.

11.1 innings [less than 3 innings a start on average], 24.62 ERA, .485 average against ... OPS of 1.441 o_O

White Sox got him at the worst possible time.

I was actually just looking and his advanced metrics suck too so take back what I said about his peripherals looking fine. 

How far off are they from his career numbers ?

i agree with most on here that unless he's injured or something there's no reason why he can't still improve this year. He isn't particularly old and doesn't have an injury history that would be a cause for alarm. Obviously there's something he's doing wrong whether it's his mechanics or whatever. Also he hasn't been as bad as nicolino all year. But his last few starts have been terrible. 

His inability to finish off hitters was a big issue yesterday. In that 6 run inning last night for the Rockies he had a couple of 0-2 counts where he either hit the batter or walked the guy. Even the hit he gave up to Hundley he was ahead in the count. The HR ball has also hit him badly although at least they are just solo home runs.

If he opts in after next season with pitching the way he is then we are screwed.

Regarding the AL East/ballpark thing, I wouldn't be surprised if the HR totals are up because his velocity is down.

It doesn't seem like just an issue of bad luck. His velocity is down a full mph which usually has a correlation with a worse ERA.

Especially with his style of pitching, he's around the zone with his fastball a lot. Not overly surprising that he's allowing more HR's.

If you look at his hit hard %, he's getting hit much harder this year than any other year of his career.