Marlins Acquire Fernando Rodney

Why we trade for Rodney!? we're seller and the Braves was more like the buyer than us,what a fucking asshole team.

Because we are a half game out of the wildcard, have the best defensive infield in the game, the 2nd best for average offense (with Dee coming back and Stanton slumping) and the 6th best bullpen even with guys like Dunn and McGowan.

Yeah we are buyers

Not going to say Paddack is the next Jose. But, for all the media who say this was a low level prospect that was years away, here is the comparison of Jose and Paddack in Greensboro. Jose was dominating in the majors a year later. Small sample size for Paddack, I know.

[ATTACH]983._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Paddack.thumb.jpg.9bc3452d8ee5eb0a9141b90b52acfa2d.jpg

Even if Paddack makes it to majors (small probability given short history of success, obstacles, etc.) and becomes successful in majors (even smaller probability), it will still take 3-5 years. Therefore, if you plan to die in the next 3 years this is a VERY good deal.

his polish, plus pitches & dominance suggests he'll be in mlb in 1 to 2 years

You know, the bottom line is that they have to make this kind of trade and be in all in mode right now because this franchise is run so poorly.  Had they drafted better and spent more money on International FA's, our system wouldn't be so bare.  Also, knowing that you probably won't extend Jose you have to give yourself a window of 2 years to go for it while we still have him.  It's just a snowball of bad decisions and they try to compensate with trades like this which only keep the snowball rolling.  

I will give them credit when it's due and the fact that they locked up Stanton, Yelich, & Dee long term is a good sign that they are trying to change their ways and operate smartly as a low budget team should.  They've also tried to lock up Ozuna, Fernandez, & Hech with little luck but at least the effort was made.  

Still, all in all, I would say that Mike Hill has to go.  Promote Benedict and put him in charge of the whole thing.  Or go out and get some smart young executive with advanced metrics knowledge from another franchise and give it a shot.  The mentality of this FO is and has been for years very old school and old school just isn't cutting it.  

I'm not an advanced metric guy per say but I guess I am coming around.  I can't complain that the FO are dinosaurs and be a dinosaur myself. But, I'll never do WAR.  Because, Fuck WAR! It's stupid.  The other metrics I can handle.  LOL 

You know, the bottom line is that they have to make this kind of trade and be in all in mode right now because this franchise is run so poorly.  Had they drafted better and spent more money on International FA's, our system wouldn't be so bare.  Also, knowing that you probably won't extend Jose you have to give yourself a window of 2 years to go for it while we still have him.  It's just a snowball of bad decisions and they try to compensate with trades like this which only keep the snowball rolling.  

I will give them credit when it's due and the fact that they locked up Stanton, Yelich, & Dee long term is a good sign that they are trying to change their ways and operate smartly as a low budget team should.  They've also tried to lock up Ozuna, Fernandez, & Hech with little luck but at least the effort was made.  

Still, all in all, I would say that Mike Hill has to go.  Promote Benedict and put him in charge of the whole thing.  Or go out and get some smart young executive with advanced metrics knowledge from another franchise and give it a shot.  The mentality of this FO is and has been for years very old school and old school just isn't cutting it.  

I'm not an advanced metric guy per say but I guess I am coming around.  I can't complain that the FO are dinosaurs and be a dinosaur myself. But, I'll never do WAR.  Because, Fuck WAR! It's stupid.  The other metrics I can handle.  LOL 

They need a good baseball guy that's not worried about making Loria upset because they spend some money. I'm not saying anything against advanced metrics, I'm just saying get a baseball guy whether it's scouting expertise or advanced metrics driven. The Chen signing is classic Marlins. Finally give a guy big money and it's based off of the past with little to no foresight. They see he succeeded in the AL East and assume he can keep it up because it's a great hitting division. But they did not do a good job of predicting his future value which is all that matter in his deal with us. Past performance is important, but when signing a guy to a big contract, you must be very confident in what he is going to become. Chen was an average #2 at times, below average at others. You have to expectat a slight decline and with a guy like Chen, that puts him in that ehh #3, good #4 role. I understand the market was bare, but it would've been nice to spend the money on a guy like Napoli who would've been a perfect platoon partner for Bour, and Rodney so we didn't have to deal paddack for him. Obviously we would still be looking for another pitcher, but honestly I'm that scenario you could package Dee, paddack and a few end peices and actually have a shot for a guy to come in and fill the #2 rotation slot rather than just throwing 3/4s at the wall and seeing what sticks. Just my 2 cents.

I'm buying a Rodney jersey just to troll you all

You better do it quick. Before we fall out of contention in the next 30 days and unload him to a real contender by the deadline in exchange for a prospect who is much, much worse than Paddack.  

They need a good baseball guy that's not worried about making Loria upset because they spend some money. I'm not saying anything against advanced metrics, I'm just saying get a baseball guy whether it's scouting expertise or advanced metrics driven. The Chen signing is classic Marlins. Finally give a guy big money and it's based off of the past with little to no foresight. They see he succeeded in the AL East and assume he can keep it up because it's a great hitting division. But they did not do a good job of predicting his future value which is all that matter in his deal with us. Past performance is important, but when signing a guy to a big contract, you must be very confident in what he is going to become. Chen was an average #2 at times, below average at others. You have to expectat a slight decline and with a guy like Chen, that puts him in that ehh #3, good #4 role. I understand the market was bare, but it would've been nice to spend the money on a guy like Napoli who would've been a perfect platoon partner for Bour, and Rodney so we didn't have to deal paddack for him. Obviously we would still be looking for another pitcher, but honestly I'm that scenario you could package Dee, paddack and a few end peices and actually have a shot for a guy to come in and fill the #2 rotation slot rather than just throwing 3/4s at the wall and seeing what sticks. Just my 2 cents.

Just how long time between "we love Dee" and "let's trade Dee".