What to do when Gordon comes back?

Not to be a downer, but I don't think it should matter by 7/30. It will, because this team always overrates its first half performance, but it shouldn't. This team isn't ready to compete and will probably stay at around .500 or the remainder of the season.

I think you are being a bit unfair. We are in the thick of it both in the standings and the tools for predicting success. We aren't gonna be ephemeral. Plus our bullpen is designed to allow us to over play our statistics. So if our statistics say we should be competitive and our bullpen allows us to be better than our statistics than we should still be in the thick of it come the end of the year. This is assuming we make no more moves. If we get 1 mediocre major league starter say a Koehler 2.0 we are a highly competitive squad.

Plus adding Dee will help and you have to think Stanton will improve. However, the flip side is that teams we are competing with, like the Dodgers, add pieces much more easily. Bud Norris would easily be our #3 starter. Cardinals can do the same with a very deep minor league system.

Sent from my iPhone using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

Plus adding Dee will help and you have to think Stanton will improve. However, the flip side is that teams we are competing with, like the Dodgers, add pieces much more easily. Bud Norris would easily be our #3 starter. Cardinals can do the same with a very deep minor league system. Sent from my iPhone using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

The key is Stanton. If he gets back to normal and we add one more pitcher this team watch out. When Stanton is Stanton he makes the whole lineup different. I think we could take a little dip if we don't get Giancarlo back but we could also surge if he comes back with fury and dongs lol.

Gordon comes back and platoons with Dietrich. He plays against LHP and takes over the role that Dietrich was doing that is about as fair as it can be. Rojas will still play when Hech or Prado need a day off.

You guys all know Dee comes back and plays every day, at second base, in the leadoff spot, right? 

Us being in contention makes this not so obvious. He's not eligible for the playoffs. You can't bench Dietrich for two months and then expect him to play well in the playoffs.

The key is Stanton. If he gets back to normal and we add one more pitcher this team watch out. When Stanton is Stanton he makes the whole lineup different. I think we could take a little dip if we don't get Giancarlo back but we could also surge if he comes back with fury and dongs lol.

did anyone else read this as "he comes back with furry dongs" ?

Guest Guest
Plus adding Dee will help and you have to think Stanton will improve. However, the flip side is that teams we are competing with, like the Dodgers, add pieces much more easily. Bud Norris would easily be our #3 starter. Cardinals can do the same with a very deep minor league system.

Sent from my iPhone using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

"You have to think that Stanton will improve."

I think this is simply wishful thinking at this juncture.

DD as a super sub is good for the team. He can spot start 1b, 2b, 3b, and LF, and the defensive positioning can be altered to also cover SS (Dee). You could also alter the OF to cover CF and RF, but Ichiro's played well enough to deserve starts there.

There really isn't a logjam with the weak bench. Having him there will help keep guys fresh and have a good bat off the bench at all times.