Baseball Prospectus | Cold Takes: How The Marlins

sdg210

Pretty sure he had a monster season in 2012. 

Nowhere near what he's done this season. He's on a 49 HR pace this year. And because of his counting totals this year, it'll likely lead him to a contract that extends him to the years past the wrong side of 30. I wouldn't even consider Trumbo, honestly. 

My concern, honestly, is that Stanton regresses and becomes Mark Trumbo (power hitter who should probably be DH'ing). To Stanton's credit, at least he can draw a walk to keep his .OBP at respectable levels. 

Seriously though, if Stanton regresses as a player (which is certainly possible with his boom or bust profile), this franchise is doomed. 

there's nothing to suggest that is true though. If anything the opposite.

I agree. All numbers I've seen shown he's grown as a hitter in his career. He went from a regular low .800 OPS guy for the first three years of his minor league career to a breakthrough in 2014. He's maintained solid contact rates, increased his power numbers and has recently bringing his on-base percentage back to where he had it early in his career (.350 OBP area).

I know I mentioned him as a trade candidate earlier, but looking deeper into things I really believe in Bour as a player. He's a solid contributor whose presence away from the lineup has been felt horribly (as evidence by guys like Prado, Francoer, and Johnson in the middle of the lineup). 

I stand by trading Ozuna, and I still firmly believe there needs to be a shortstop replacement, regardless of how unlikely that is. 

If the Marlins traded Stanton how would they make up for the massive loss of power from the lineup? Or are the Marlins going to continue singling teams to death?

If we don't make the playoffs next year, oh well. I'm at the point where I really don't think this is a playoff team, and I'd like to start over a bit. You're dismissing the type of return we'd get for Stanton and how we'd allocate Stanton's money to help the rest of the team. Stanton could bring back 3-4 intriguing young players that could improve the overall talent/depth of the team.

Is this team, as currently constructed, a playoff team next year with Stanton? You're down on this ownership, and seemingly down on this team in general so I'd guess your answer is no. 

By trading Ozuna for a SP, signing a guy like Fowler, and making another couple of moves, the talent level of the team remains mostly the same. That's an offseason without major changes. So, you're basically saying that the current team is a playoff team. That's weird coming from the guy who made the "Sept 1" prediction when the team was still mostly healthy.

You guys (squall/el penguino) want the team to remain mostly the same, but you put down the talent level of the team more often than not. So, I don't get it. I think the team needs to make a major change or two. As currently constructed, they're pretty mediocre, and they're set up for long-term mediocrity. Putting a band-aid on the team in free agency won't help matters much either because the problems are greater than that. 

No, this is not a playoff team as constructed but I don't see that as reason to trade Stanton.

Sure, the Marlins could get a nice package for Stanton, but the number of teams that would take on that contract is low.

Getting rid of someone with his power is a pretty big deal if you cannot readily replace it.

Playoffs are a longshot next season as the core stands now. I think the first move would be to stop making trades in desperation where the buy high and sell low.

Stanton shouldn't be traded until after 2017. He's under contract for just $14.5 million next season. Still an incredible value for a player of his caliber. The 2018 season is when he's scheduled to make $25 million, and he's not even able to possibly exercise his opt out until after the 2020 season. The team would essentially be taking on a 3 year, $77 million deal with a possible 7 years, $210 million tacked on if Stanton accepts. 

I actually think the Marlins will pay Stanton $25 million in 2018 and trade him after that. At age 28 he's bound to have the best season of his career and will have teams clamoring for him even with that god awful back-end contract looming. 

I don't think we should or even have to think about a Stanton trade for another season or two. His value is low at the moment. He's had back-to-back .950+ OPS seasons and is coming off an .800 OPS year. I honestly see 2017 as the end of the current team's window, so it doesn't hurt to see if Stanton can come back, be consistent, stay healthy all year and lead the team to a playoff spot. 

I was looking at an old post and remembered making a recommendation back in early 2015 that Stanton should move to 1st base to mitigate injury concerns. It was just funny seeing that and how he's gotten injured in 2015 and 2016 now.

If the front office wants to really think outside of the box and want to keep Stanton healthy, they should consider trading Bour and moving Stanton to 1st base permanently. I know injuries in the field haven't been his problem but it would be a way to keep him from exerting too much effort in the field and focusing primarily on his offense. 

Can we at least let Capps pitch a game for SD before labeling that deal as the worst move ever?

Well it's not the worst move ever. But, no, we can't let Capps pitch for SD before labeling it an awful deal. 

Capps is a substantial asset, even while injured.  Yes, the fact that he's recovering from TJ and the remote possibility that he might not be as effective as before dimish his value somewhat. But the point is that even if the MARLINS did not want to take the risk on his recovery, other teams absolutely would have, and he could have been a valuable trade chip.

Instead we gave him away just so we didn't have to pay a measly 2.5 million.  So yes, it was one of the worst moves ever even if Capps doesn't pitch for SD.

I was looking at an old post and remembered making a recommendation back in early 2015 that Stanton should move to 1st base to mitigate injury concerns. It was just funny seeing that and how he's gotten injured in 2015 and 2016 now.

If the front office wants to really think outside of the box and want to keep Stanton healthy, they should consider trading Bour and moving Stanton to 1st base permanently. I know injuries in the field haven't been his problem but it would be a way to keep him from exerting too much effort in the field and focusing primarily on his offense. 

Wouldn't he have gotten hurt this year regardless no matter what position he played?

Has he had any injuries recently directly related to playing outfield?

Sent from my iPhone using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

In the post your quoting I directly say that I know his injuries so far haven't been related to being in the field. It's more of a thought that I'd rather have him 1. Stay Healthy 2. Focus on hitting and not worrying about playing the field too much 3. Improve as a hitter.