Sign in to follow this  
CoastieMike

Reignite Jose trade talks? (BR article)

Glad it's just stretching a thought into a "thinking out loud" article and not trying to be something legit. The problem with BR is that too many people will link to an article like that as if it's the truth. Even then, that's not BR's fault but yeah, the confusion between what's news, a blog, an opinion piece, etc, is astounding.

Going by history, they'll trade him prior to next season. Cabs, D-Train, Hanley, Beckett, and Lee were all traded with two years remaining of club control/contract. JJ is only guy I can think of they traded with only one year left, and that was a special case with the new stadium.

However, I don't think they trade him until after next year. The next two years are this core's competition window. They're still cheap with holes that are pretty easy to fill (if they were willing to spend resources). As we can see with how much trading away Lee and Cabs hurt us during those competition windows, I'm hoping they learn from those mistakes.

2018 is not just the last season of Jose, but also Ramos, Capps, and Hech (they did at least re-up Dee). I think they're banking on Chen opting out prior to considering he'd only make $10m that year, and Stanton's contract balloons. We're currently looking at a $120m payroll that year, if they make no changes. Prior to 2018 is when the firesale "rebuild" is, so it makes the most sense to wait until then.

It's nice rooting for a team where the fan discussion is when best it'll be to trade away your star player.

I also loved this bit about Andrew Friedman

"consistently preaching the value of depth, refusing to acknowledge public panic, emphasizing the long-term sustainability of the organization while still competing in the present"

The Marlins have been the complete antithesis to every single one of those. :high5

I went to FSU and got 3 degrees so I can confirm this means the Marlins are shopping Jose

Guest Vince0926
14 minutes ago, Admin said:

I went to FSU and got 3 degrees so I can confirm this means the Marlins are shopping Jose

Yup July 31 he will be gone unless the Marlins are 5 out of the wild card. That's how I tend to look at things 

1 minute ago, Vince0926 said:

Yup July 31 he will be gone unless the Marlins are 5 out of the wild card. That's how I tend to look at things 

Should I be angry about this !?

Guest Vince0926
16 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Should I be angry about this !?

No because my gut says he's not happy. Like when I told one job I had, that I was unhappy and would be seeking a better job in the fall. Sure enough I left that job in the fall.

......and no I wasn't fired.

51 minutes ago, Vince0926 said:

What if we're 5.5 games back?!