Hill says no major changes needed

Guest Guest

That the [slightly] lowered velocity and him being injured was the cause of his poor performance this year - injury probably also would hurt his location, hang a lot more pitches.

was referring to the point that the less than 1 mph difference in velocity makes a big difference for fly ball pitchers.

if Hill gets fired he will get hired by the nationals just look what DJ is doing over there, 3rd straight Division title

Jennings isn't their GM, he's an assistant to their GM, Mike Rizzo. Jennings probably has very little pull there.

Forget everything else, if we flipped our record against the worst team in the league (and 2nd worst in the Majors) to 11-7 rather than 7-11, we would be 81-74 and only 1 game out of a wildcard spot with 7 games to go.  Sucking against Atlanta all season long has absolutely killed us this year.

Forget everything else, if we flipped our record against the worst team in the league (and 2nd worst in the Majors) to 11-7 rather than 7-11, we would be 81-74 and only 1 game out of a wildcard spot with 7 games to go.  Sucking against Atlanta all season long has absolutely killed us this year.

Flip our record against Atlanta and in Interleague [6-14 ... 14-6!] 89 wins ...

But oh well, here we are. :'(

I should remind everyone that at the team's best point in the season, it was on pace to win only 84.5 games. In other words, this team has been inherently mediocre all season and only appears to have been "in it" because the rest of the NL has been kind of weak. 

Hill should be fired. The team's problems run much deeper than injuries. Loria will probably buy that though and keep Hill around, despite his two trades with San Diego being downright embarrassing.

Thanks for the reminder. 

Luckily someone reminded you about the stretch from April 24th to AUGUST 1st when the team was a wrecking ball.  

Anyway, the great 2016 Marlins Myth was that this was a team that was lacking pitching. Sooooooo much crying about Carter Capps, Fernando Rodney etc. 

Bullshit. 

This was a completely anemic offense that was bottom three in runs and slugging.  Lack of slugging and runs (and to a lesser extent injuries) are unequivocally the primary reasons why this team did not secure a Wild Card berth. 

We need to trade Stanton and start rebuilding. 

That's impossible now. Jose was the heart of the city. Stanton isn't that, but he's the closest thing to that left now. Regardless of anything I've said in the past, Stanton cannot be traded anytime soon. The team needs a central person to rely on, and he's that guy alone now.

I'll be rooting for this team more than ever now honestly, but I don't see how they plan on not being terrible for a long time. They were mediocre, at best, with Jose. Imagine without him, and there's no farm system in sight. I don't even feel like talking baseball today, but just realistically, they probably need to start over. 

Hopefully they find some magic next year and do well. Would be a great story.

Yeah, it's the prudent thing to do but I don't think you can rebuild this offseason. It'd be a sucker punch to a fan base that can't breathe. They would need a lot just to get back to be a .500 team, but I think you're in a position where you have to try. And they can still blow it up in July