Jose Fernandez dies in boating accident

HanleyDavidson

It's been noted that he'd been out on that boat often.  He loved fishing (dunno if they were fishing on this outing or not), and some are into night fishing.  Or else just relaxing on the boat on night.  They were headed back and Marine & Fire Rescue mentioned, it can be confusing coming into Government Cut there at night, there's just no lights to go by & people relying solely on GPS while going full speed is probably not the safest way to go.

Also if I'm not mistaken, the boat was discovered on routine patrol around 3:15, so it's not clear how long before that the crash actually occurred.

I didn't see the game on Saturday - was Jose being his usual fun self or were there any noticeable signs on the telecast that something was bothering him?

I was at the game on Friday and he looked happy. He was tossing balls to fans and joking with teammates pretty much the whole time. 

Here's my take on the talk about Jose having been emotionally troubled while he was on that boat.

My guess is that the only reason why people are bringing this up is that they are wondering about whether or not this was a suicide, but if Jose were seriously going to do that, surely he would choose another method than driving a 30-foot boat into a jetty with two other people on it.

I think we can safely rule suicide out (assuming that's what some people are thinking).

Hopefully this is harmless. It's entirely possible that he just hit up that spot and remained sober whilst doing so.

Agreed. Hopefully whoever was piloting the boat also was sober since they said it wasn't Jose.

Am I crazy or did someone in this thread report (second-hand) that Fernandez was seen there around 1:30am? I feel like I knew yesterday evening that he was allegedly seen there before the crash and I hadn't read it on any news sites.

I may have missed that post if so, I don't recall it. Tough thing to search for too.

In the movie A League of Their Own, Tom Hanks said the immortal words, "there's no crying in baseball".  But yesterday we as a community know it's not true. Yesterday, today, and many days to come so many of us will be crying/mourning the death of  Jose Fernandez.  An awesome pitcher and human being.  Always a smile on his face and a kind word to a player who made an error or struck out.  He epitomized baseball and needs to be emulated to his caring for his fellow man.  He touched so many, many lives.

Like the movie title, Jose was in A League of His Own. 

And I for one don't know how I am going to get through tonight and the days to follow.  Most likely only as a community we can. Words can't describe what he meant to all of us.  And obviously we can't imagine the grief the family and the other families are going through now.  There is no solace for them or for us.  Their lives are changed forever.  And maybe in some small way ours have too.

In the future all of us can look at Jose clips seeing his lively, spirited, and animated personality, and the horror of the accident will fade.  And we'll remember the great times he gave us in the dugout and on the mound.

To all of you and the baseball community at large as well as his family and friends, my condolences.

In the movie A League of Their Own, Tom Hanks said the immortal words, "there's no crying in baseball".  But yesterday we as a community know it's not true. Yesterday, today, and many days to come so many of us will be crying/mourning the death of  Jose Fernandez.  An awesome pitcher and human being.  Always a smile on his face and a kind word to a player who made an error or struck out.  He epitomized baseball and needs to be emulated to his caring for his fellow man.  He touched so many, many lives.

Like the movie title, Jose was in A League of His Own. 

And I for one don't know how I am going to get through tonight and the days to follow.  Most likely only as a community we can. Words can't describe what he meant to all of us.  And obviously we can't imagine the grief the family and the other families are going through now.  There is no solace for them or for us.  Their lives are changed forever.  And maybe in some small way ours have too.

In the future all of us can look at Jose clips seeing his lively, spirited, and animated personality, and the horror of the accident will fade.  And we'll remember the great times he gave us in the dugout and on the mound.

To all of you and the baseball community at large as well as his family and friends, my condolences.

Well said.

It's crazy how a man (man? Who am I kidding? He was a kid) that most of us (if not all of us) have never met feels like family, but here we are.

Well, I believe the Coast Guard said that they figured the boat was heading pack to the port when it struck the jetty, right? If they were at bar around 2am that means that they were only out on the water for like an hour or so. That sounds more like a joy ride than a fishing trip to me.

I think it's inevitable that the toxicology report finds that a couple of them were drunk. Perhaps that explains the friends messages about not going too far from the coast and also questioning the idea of going out on the boat?

Also how do they know that Jose wasn't driving the boat? This fact doesn't make a difference at all but I don't get how they can assert that.

Also how do they know that Jose wasn't driving the boat? This fact doesn't make a difference at all but I don't get how they can assert that.

From what I gathered, they are making an assumption because he had never piloted it before. Though honestly, that would make me think it WAS him because it'd explain the possible reason for not knowing a familiar area. But again I really hate speculating.

I almost see no way they can figure out who was driving. And while normally him being out at a party before it would mean nothing, the time is weird because that would mean he was at the party around 1 and then went out on the boat around 2-3 am. That's not a normal time to go out on a fishing trip. It's not like the fishing trip started at 10 pm I'm saying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.