So Scoop says it's not certain Bonds returns and that some coaching changes are expected. Ichiro's option will be picked up, and Prado's extension will be announced. 

On a side note, Austin Brice has some weird stats. A 7.07ERA but a WHIP of 1.00, an average against of .173, and only 9 hits in 14 innings with 14 strikeouts. 

From Scoop's article...

The Marlins were 57-48 on July 31, and serious postseason contenders. But they dealt with a string of injuries in August...

Call it overachieving if you'd like but it was for about four months out of six. This cannot be forgotten. Yes we still ended with a losing record and missed the playoffs again but this sure as hell feels different than all the other recent seasons.

This is exactly when I predicted Sept 1st. That record was an aberration. The team has serious holes and there isn't enough $ or available free agents to fill them. I expect 2017 to be the same as 2016.

I can't argue this but I wouldn't be ok with someone just being like "ahh another losing season, just like the rest, this team sucks, and they'll always suck"... there's ways to make this team a serious contender and this season showed that. What those ways are and how to get there, well that's the tough part but it's not my job to figure that out.

Firing bonds would be so dumb. The marlins don't hit for power because it's a line up of slap hitters. Prado/Dee/Hech/Realmuto/Ichiro are suddently going to be taught to have the strength for HRs? Out of our top 9 hitters in PA, only 1 had a ISO above 200 (Stanton) and only two more were above 150 (Yelich and Ozuna). We had just as many guys with sub-100 ISOs as we did with >150 ISOs (Ichiro, Dee, Hech).

Maybe, just maybe, if you construct a team with players that can't hit for power, your team won't hit for power.

Plus the problem was pitching anyway, because most of those guys add value in other areas like defense. The only positional guys that really "hurt" them were Hech (who could have a bounce back year considering his crash in BABIP) and Chris Johnson being the first guy off the bench (how did that last all season?)

We had two relievers with a higher WAR than our best SP not named Jose, which is pretty hilarious http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=20&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

No Jose and this is among the worst rotations in baseball going with in house options (with no ability to trade for a starter and no good starters as FA). They have no realistic chance of competing next year, they had no realistic chance of competing this year when they failed to upgrade the rotation (not that they could anyway), and there is no farm system for future years (and they tragically lost the one piece they were going to use to restock it). There is no denying Squalls point - the future is bleak, and that's already holding onto the longest active streak finish with a losing season and second longest playoff drought. It comes down to praying for Loria to sell after the all star game, and a good owner who'll make good highers coming in.

Firing bonds would be so dumb

They wouldn't be firing him at all. He had a one-year deal and they don't know if he wants to stick around. They want him, that's not the issue.

Firing bonds would be so dumb. The marlins don't hit for power because it's a line up of slap hitters. Prado/Dee/Hech/Realmuto/Ichiro are suddently going to be taught to have the strength for HRs? Out of our top 9 hitters in PA, only 1 had a ISO above 200 (Stanton) and only two more were above 150 (Yelich and Ozuna). We had just as many guys with sub-100 ISOs as we did with >150 ISOs (Ichiro, Dee, Hech).Maybe, just maybe, if you construct a team with players that can't hit for power, your team won't hit for power.

Plus the problem was pitching anyway, because most of those guys add value in other areas like defense. The only positional guys that really "hurt" them were Hech (who could have a bounce back year considering his crash in BABIP) and Chris Johnson being the first guy off the bench (how did that last all season?)

We had two relievers with a higher WAR than our best SP not named Jose, which is pretty hilarious http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=20&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

No Jose and this is among the worst rotations in baseball going with in house options (with no ability to trade for a starter and no good starters as FA). They have no realistic chance of competing next year, they had no realistic chance of competing this year when they failed to upgrade the rotation (not that they could anyway), and there is no farm system for future years (and they tragically lost the one piece they were going to use to restock it). There is no denying Squalls point - the future is bleak, and that's already holding onto the longest active streak finish with a losing season and second longest playoff drought. It comes down to praying for Loria to sell after the all star game, and a good owner who'll make good highers coming in.

With the Jose tragedy, we are in serious trouble pitching wise. The back end of the rotation was the biggest question before it. Now the whole thing is in question without an ace. Hech is also a huge question mark at SS. Put up garbage numbers but as I laid out a month ago had a terribly low BABIP and good batted ball stats but also had shoddy D late. The bench is also short and void of much talent.

Can it be fixed? I say I doubt it. We would have to swing Ozuna, Dee, Castillo and others in order to get close to trading for major league ace material. I think it's more realistic we fire sale again. Trade Ozuna, Dee, possibly Bour, Koehler, Dunn, and others and just go into rebuilding mode. It makes the most logical sense.

I just hope Mike Hill isn't the guy doing the rebuilding.

They can't fire sale now after what the team, the fan base, and the community have just gone through in the past week. Normally I'd say those things don't matter but right now, this offseason would be the absolute worst time to do a fire sale. They will not rebuild.

They can't fire sale now after what the team, the fan base, and the community have just gone through in the past week. Normally I'd say those things don't matter but right now, this offseason would be the absolute worst time to do a fire sale. They will not rebuild.

It's still a business. And we don't have the pieces to do much more than tread water. By the meetings, we will all have started to heal. So I think they should.

It's still a business. And we don't have the pieces to do much more than tread water. By the meetings, we will all have started to heal. So I think they should.

Absolutely it's still a business. But there's still a HUGE part of this business that depends on its relationship with the community and the fanbase. A rebuild right now would be disastrous. It just can't be done now. No way. And I think the team and the front office know that. It would actually be "better" for the team to not rebuild and finish in last place next season than for them to start over and still finish in last place.

It has nothing to do with the Jose tragedy either.

I've gotta think the Jose tragedy is something for them to be mindful of but if it's not that I'm guessing three things...

1. Stanton didn't sign here to be rebuilding two years into his deal (it's like we've forgotten this even happened)

2. Mattingly wasn't brought in to manage a rebuilding team, he came here to win and they'll make an effort at least for another year

3. Loria won't be here *that* much longer and he's probably desperate for a championship before he goes

The reason I say it has nothing to do with the Jose tragedy is that the same plan was plotted out before that unfortunate incident. If anything, this'll just make them do even more since they kinda have to now.