Sign in to follow this  
taiwanmarlin

Pitcher hitting 8th in the lineup

I've always thought that a guy like Hechavarria is better served in the 9 hole, than 8th.  He's not hitting well enough to be an asset in the core of the order, but his wheels are good to have on base when our hitters come up. "Typically" the pitcher is an out, so why put him before the pitcher?  Try to flip the order with one less out, and a speedy guy on base.

A lot of teams could use this.  I'm really surprised more don't.

Obviously, if your lineup is strong throughout, this doesn't make much sense, but ours isn't.  Nor are the Braves or Phillies.

Batting the pitcher eighth is a gimmick and makes such a small difference in the long run that it is completely insignificant on a game-to-game basis.

Guest Vince0926
1 hour ago, Arpenschplat said:

Name one offensive hole in our usual lineup.

I can't name one other than a stanton slump and hech at times. I.e. Not many

1 hour ago, Arpenschplat said:

Name one offensive hole in our usual lineup.

Adeiny's first 112 AB this year have been a huge hole at .570 ops. With that said, he should really turn it around at some point. Career high bb%, career low k% and career high ld%

I've always wanted this cause it takes the chances of a pitcher leading off an inning very slim. 

I like the idea of having Hech in the 9 hole with this current lineup. Dietrich isn't your prototypical lead off hitter (speed, more gap to gap power, etc) so having the possibility of Hech hitting before DD could actually be pretty beneficial. Not to mention, with the way Prado is hitting, it would give him a few more RBI opportunities as well. 

1 hour ago, marlins_09 said:

I like the idea of having Hech in the 9 hole with this current lineup. Dietrich isn't your prototypical lead off hitter (speed, more gap to gap power, etc) so having the possibility of Hech hitting before DD could actually be pretty beneficial. Not to mention, with the way Prado is hitting, it would give him a few more RBI opportunities as well. 

I could dig it.