Article: 2016-17 Top 50 MLB Free Agents With Predictions

sdg210

Travis Wood is definitely a new idea I hadn't considered yet. Hasn't been a starter in two years but is coming off a career year as a reliever. Success as a reliever makes him cheaper to acquire than the top starting pitching options. Still, it is far from a certainty he repeats that performance as a starter. Last time he started regularly he was worse than a replacement level player.

Don't know if I say flat out no to the idea, but it would definitely be further down on the list. 

Joe Blanton is the exact same story as Wood, only it has been three years since he's been a regular starter. 

Given choice from the top 50, I'd personally rather give looks at Volquez and Dickey on one year deals. It is a lot safer than Wood on a three year deal and I think there is the same chance if not more that they're successful than Wood/Blanton. I'd also include Peavy/De La Rosa among options in this group for 1 year deals.

Marlins can't fix the starting rotation with free agent signings this offseason. They can put a band aid on but there's longer term problems. 

The plan should involve using Ozuna, Dietrich, Telis, Hechavarria, Koehler, and whoever else outside of the core players to acquire either a #2 or high end #3 pitcher (I'd use Ramos to get another starter but the Marlins don't seem to be going that way). Go and sign two of Volquez/Dickey/Peavy/De La Rosa to one year deals. The rotation then looks like...

1. Chen

2. Conley

3. Pitcher acquired via trade

4. 1-year deal starter

5. 1-year deal starter

With Austin Brice, Justin Nicolino, Kendry Flores, Jose Urena and Jake Esch as backup options. Dillon Peters could actually join this group in September with a great season. Koehler could very easily take that 4th rotation spot and the Marlins only go and sign 1 starter and it isn't too big a difference. 

That should be the template for this offseason. Doesn't fix the problem, something that can't be fixed in a single season or even three. But it is the best they can do given the circumstances.

I rather have Doug Fister over Peavey/Dickey

Actually forgot to mention Fister in my post there. I've said before he's the first guy you go after. 

Possibly signing Fister and somebody like Jason Hammel or Edinson Volquez and add them to a traded for guy with, say, the ability of Trevor Bauer (he was worth more wins than Ozuna this year)

There may not be stand out options, but there areas to improve the rotation to potentially an above .500 record.

I rather have Doug Fister over Peavey/Dickey

Should be some competition for Fister though in this market ? 

The best the Marlins can do is pull of a miracle trade for Bauer (don't see it) and then pick up at least one guy like Fister,  Volquez, Wood, Andersson .. 

This would still make the Marlins a sub .500 team. There is really no doubt about it. I'm very exited to see where the bookies put the over/under next season though. 76.5 ? 

I really think the Bauer trade makes sense. Both players are the same age, have similar inconsistencies in their careers, and both rebounded in 2016. It makes perfect sense for Miami. The question would be whether the Indians see Ozuna as an upgrade over either Chisenhall or Guyer (Naquin and Brantley will be starting next season without a doubt). I'd really like to see Miami press the issue on it.

dammit dim you just said we'd screw up Bauer.  I can't keep up.

also the Cards have a ton of pitching.  maybe try for a bounce-back guy in Garcia or Wacha?

It's an internal debate I'm having with myself. The trade makes sense but I've become numb to trusting the coaching staff given how they've handled some pitchers of the past. I really think Bauer has all the tools to be successful, he's just a bit of a wild card. 

As for Garcia/Wacha, Garcia is going to make $11.5 million next year and $12 million after that so it would be a definite no for him given his current numbers. 

Wacha is interesting, and he's only just now arbitration eligible. He is estimated to get $3.2 million, which isn't bad at all. The bigger question is would the Cardinals trade him at a low value. The Marlins would not give up Ozuna in a trade for Wacha. It would likely be a deal centered more around a Marlins top prospect like Luis Castillo or a Derek Dietrich, both guys I'm not sure they'd want. I'm not sure how much of a fit the Cardinals are.

I really think the Bauer trade makes sense. Both players are the same age, have similar inconsistencies in their careers, and both rebounded in 2016. It makes perfect sense for Miami. The question would be whether the Indians see Ozuna as an upgrade over either Chisenhall or Guyer (Naquin and Brantley will be starting next season without a doubt). I'd really like to see Miami press the issue on it.

The question is not if Ozuna is an upgrade that is evident but if he  would not cause trouble in the locker room He may just getting a reputation as a head case and a bit of a problem in the clubhouse

Actually forgot to mention Fister in my post there. I've said before he's the first guy you go after. 

Possibly signing Fister and somebody like Jason Hammel or Edinson Volquez and add them to a traded for guy with, say, the ability of Trevor Bauer (he was worth more wins than Ozuna this year)

There may not be stand out options, but there areas to improve the rotation to potentially an above .500 record.

Jason Hammel would be another nice addition. Hellickson would have been nice but he's going to get overpaid plus the draft pick that's too much 

Ozuna, I think. But when? Why? And how so?

I think there has been a bit of back and forth between Ozuna and the FO specially with the demotion in mid-season which rightfully was viewed by Ozuna as mean of keeping him away from arbitration.

Also the disdain  the Marlins have for Scott Boros has not helped either, Ozuna has been singled-out for it, much more so than any other of Boros clients (JF16 RIP)

I think Ozuna is a great guy, I love him as a player much more than many others here. However the FO has done their fair share of  spurning in order to maintain a strong upper-hand in future contract bargaining. That has may have tarnished Ozuna's image league-widein reality he mostly suffers from Scott Borositis  many player have found themselves black-balled  because oh it,