Dan Straily to Fish

Bret Hart

Straily would join a Marlins rotation that is also set to feature left-handers Wei-Yin Chen and Adam Conley, newly signed right-hander Edinson Volquez and longtime Marlins righty Tom Koehler. The addition of Straily seems likeliest to bump offseason signee Jeff Locke from the fifth slot in that rotation to the bullpen, which could have a trickle-down effect and bump an out-of-options player like Jose Urena off the roster.

Locke, however, would give Miami a much-needed southpaw option in the ’pen, as Miami previously stood to potentially deploy an all-right-handed relief corps. A.J. RamosKyle BarracloughDavid PhelpsBrad ZieglerJunichi Tazawa and Dustin McGowan all seem like locks to open the season in manager Don Mattingly’s bullpen. The former three constituted an outstanding late-inning trio in 2016, while the latter trio all signed Major League contracts this winter.

Per mlbtraderumors

Makes sense that Locke is now going to the pen to fill the lefty void.I just hope that this trade doesn't hurt us in the end. He pitched against us last year. 

What we gave up aside, I've got two thoughts right now... A) notwithstanding the specifics of this trade, I like to see that Loria and Hill understand there's still work to be done with the 2017 team and they're trying. Whether they're making the right moves is questionable but they're not sitting on their hands doing nothing. B) The Jeff Locke question isn't something to ignore here. I wonder what's the plan or if more shuffling is in order. We have 12 pitchers who are virtually guaranteed roster spots. There is no roster competition here outside of injuries. What happens to Urena? Are more moves coming?

Maybe it's as simple as Locke moving to the pen because he's a lefty and he fills that role for us?

Rotation is set, bullpen is set. Looks like the only open spots are bench and that might be 2 spots up.

Not even two spots. Just one. Ichiro and Ellis are locks. Dietrich and Rojas are as close as you can get to being locks barring something drastic coming up. So one spot left and I feel like it'll be a late signing that gets this spot because it ideally needs to be a righty bat and there's no clear one right now.

Sucks for you. You did all that research into Brice's history yesterday for nothing. or did you know?!?!?

Lol I didn't know. I was reading a story on team China and it said they have more major league options than they ever did and Brice's name was there and I was like huh? I wonder how many good Chinese restaurants they have in Cincinnati.

Not even two spots. Just one. Ichiro and Ellis are locks. Dietrich and Rojas are as close as you can get to being locks barring something drastic coming up. So one spot left and I feel like it'll be a late signing that gets this spot because it ideally needs to be a righty bat and there's no clear one right now.

I hope there isn't a 5th bench spot and they go with 8 bullpen pitchers instead. Keep Urena on the team. 

Very true. Seems like the last spot goes to someone that can play 1st base and corner outfield in a pinch. Could end up being Tyle Moore if he has a good spring.

Ellington will 100% start in AAA with Wittgren. They have options. Last spot is either Locke or Urena (out of options). Most likely Urena.

It's actually most likely Locke since they invested $3 million on him. And, not that I think it matters, but Locke is left-handed.