Marlins vs Rays

TaiwanMarlins

Would MLB have 30 teams today if they contracted Minnesota and Montreal?

I think I even saw something where the Twins and Oakland would comboine and Montreal will go into a dispersal draft of some sort-

Or was it MTL would combine with the Marlins.

Think Seals/Barons/North Stars/Sharks

Did some reading up on Loria and the Expos. He got there in 99. Fans stopped coming in 95, seven of the nine seasons they had after 94 they couldn't even draw a million fans. Loria went in and demanded a new ballpark and the city didn't give it to him. When he bought the Marlins he took the Expos coaching staff and front office and literally much of their equipment down to even computers.

So the way I interpret it is Loria is the last guy running out of a burning building and he's seen running out holding a flat screen TV so he looks like a thief and a bad guy. But what's also clear to me is that he didn't start the fire that burned the building down.

Loria didn't do much good for the Expos but he didn't kill the Expos.

The mid 90s ownership/front office, the fan base after 1994, and Selig/MLB after 2002 killed the Expos way more than Loria did.

Found this on Expos Wiki

When Loria took control, he let it be known that Brochu's low-budget approach—or as he called it, "business as usual"—was over.[136] He promised to rebuild the Expos with "a winning attitude and winning players" in an effort to bring the team back to where it had been only six years earlier.[137] To that end, he drafted a new partnership agreement that gave him the right to call for cash investments in exchange for team equity—an option that had been unavailable to Brochu. Most of the minority partners, though, continued to treat their participation as a public-relations gesture and remained uninterested in investing additional money. When Loria issued a cash call in May 2000, the only other partners to increase their contributions were Coutu, Loblaw, and Stephen Bronfman. Rather than contribute more money, the minority partners proposed trading Guererro. Loria instantly vetoed this suggestion.[138]

As Loria increased his own financial contribution over the next two years, most of the other partners failed to do likewise, which resulted in Loria raising his share in the franchise to 92 percent.[139][140][141] Speaking in retrospect, one of the minority partners, Mark Routtenberg, said that he was both "fooled" and "used" by Loria, and called him a carpetbagger.[142]

Would MLB have 30 teams today if they contracted Minnesota and Montreal?

I think I even saw something where the Twins and Oakland would comboine and Montreal will go into a dispersal draft of some sort-

Or was it MTL would combine with the Marlins.

Think Seals/Barons/North Stars/Sharks

I think MLB would still have 30 teams today without a doubt. I personally just can't see one of the "big four" leagues, in this day and age, having less than 30 teams. For whatever reason, 30 became the magic number in the late 90's/early 2000's and a league having 28 teams just wouldn't look right.

Yes I know the NFL has 32 and the NHL will have 31 starting next year. I'm saying I couldn't see a major American sports league having any less than 30, having more >30 is obviously feasible.

"The Rays were the mystery team who submitted the highest bid forSergio Romo‘s services.  Previous reports indicated that the Rays were in the mix for Romo and that the reliever declined a higher offer to stay on the west coast and sign with the Dodgers for a one-year, $3MM deal. "

Florida teams lost one more game in the "FA bidding war between the California teams vs. Florida teams series",we lost all games in this series before for the Pujols(Angels),Wilson(Angels),Cespedes(Athletics) and Jansen(Dodgers).