Loria could be named Ambassador to France

Admin

looks like the deal is over if Loria takes the ambassador job..

they want to avoid the appearance of quid pro quo.

I don't get it. What's the problem? If Loria is leaving here why can't he go be ambassador or do whatever else he wants next? I would have thought being ambassador was a bigger problem or conflict if he was staying as the owner here. Not sure how these things are related.

I don't get it. What's the problem? If Loria is leaving here why can't he go be ambassador or do whatever else he wants next? I would have thought being ambassador was a bigger problem or conflict if he was staying as the owner here. Not sure how these things are related.

The perception will be that Loria sold the team to get the Ambassador position. 

And if the DeVos appointment is any indication...this is probably what is happening.

Loria gunna Loria.

The perception will be that Loria sold the team to get the Ambassador position. 

While I don't think that's true, who cares if it is? Why would that be a problem? I must be missing something here because how is that a bad thing? A business owner can sell his business for whatever reason. As long as Loria goes, he goes.

Still nobody has even answered as to what the ambassador to France even does. Sounds like a fake position with no real duties.

In the strictest sense, U.S. ambassadors represent the President of the United States in an official capacity in foreign nations and communities. They are charged with protecting and promoting national interests, maintaining diplomacy, organizing visits, welcoming visitors, and supporting resolutions.

In the strictest sense, U.S. ambassadors represent the President of the United States in an official capacity in foreign nations and communities. They are charged with protecting and promoting national interests, maintaining diplomacy, organizing visits, welcoming visitors, and supporting resolutions.

I feel like you just copied that from somewhere but I could be wrong.

While I don't think that's true, who cares if it is? Why would that be a problem? I must be missing something here because how is that a bad thing? A business owner can sell his business for whatever reason. As long as Loria goes, he goes.

You don't want some one to be able to leverage political gains against altruism in business dealings. 

As a brand, MLB would want to protect the integrity of its company. As a nation, we shouldn't be selling postions to the highest bidder.

Here is why that could be an issue:

Take for example your job. Imagine you were up for a promotion, one you might have spent your career working towards. However, an unqualified new hire, or outside hire, offered your boss 10 grand for the job.

Is that fair? Better yet...is that ethical? 

As far as legality, it is called "quid pro quo". It goes along the same vein as insider trading (see Martha Stewart). You don't want cronyism or secret bribes mucking up your political system. 

Have you seen "Shawshank Redemption?" The warden is accepting payoffs so he doesn't use his inmates to undercut local businesses. The assumption with Loria is that he would sell or cut a more favorable deal to be an Ambassador.

Overtime: This is why we want transparency in politics, why we need campaign finance reform, and why lobbyists are bad. Ironically, the suggestion of these types of improprieties is also what dismantled Unions in the US. 

You don't want some one to be able to leverage political gains against altruism in business dealings. 

As a brand, MLB would want to protect the integrity of its company. As a nation, we shouldn't be selling postions to the highest bidder.

Here is why that could be an issue:

Take for example your job. Imagine you were up for a promotion, one you might have spent your career working towards. However, an unqualified new hire, or outside hire, offered your boss 10 grand for the job.

Is that fair? Better yet...is that ethical? 

As far as legality, it is called "quid pro quo". It goes along the same vein as insider trading (see Martha Stewart). You don't want cronyism or secret bribes mucking up your political system. 

Have you seen "Shawshank Redemption?" The warden is accepting payoffs so he doesn't use his inmates to undercut local businesses. The assumption with Loria is that he would sell or cut a more favorable deal to be an Ambassador.

Overtime: This is why we want transparency in politics, why we need campaign finance reform, and why lobbyists are bad. Ironically, the suggestion of these types of improprieties is also what dismantled Unions in the US. 

Well this is well explained. Thanks.

Just for clarity, this is because the Marlins sale would be to the Kushner family right? Because if Loria sold the Marlins to someone else and then still got the ambassador position then it'd be ok right?

What our former owner doing after he sold the team was what I most less care about.

Unfortunately, that sentiment speaks volumes. Whether, you are an United States citizen, or not. 

You should care.

While I hate how the Marlins are run, I have my limits on the lengths I would go to replace the ownership. I wouldn't kill or steal from someone to get my way. I have scruples. At the end of the day if Loria is able to leverage the sale of the team for political gain...that is dangerous and should be prevented. 

Look at this way, what about the purchaser of the team...Would you want a war criminal to purchase the team? Or someone who in-turn dismantles the team?

Let's not forget this is entertainment. At the end of the day, The Marlins are the distraction from life and not life itself