Marlins backloaded Kenley Jansen contract offer

taiwanmarlin

http://www.fishstripes.com/2017/3/14/14929254/marlins-rumors-kenley-jansen-backloaded

"Jansen would have been paid $7 million, $9 milllion, $11 million and about $25 million in the last two years of the deal, according to Heyman. Giancarlo Stanton’s extension was also backloaded, but he determined it would benefit the team if he took less money initially."

But why Loria needed to backload this contract if the first year salary was only what he needs to pay ?

But why Loria needed to backload this contract if the first year salary was only what he needs to pay ?

You answered your own question here.

Anyways, I don't have a problem with them backloading deals. Not sure why people make that sound so negative. If it really is better for the team to do so then so what? The player has to agree to it, they're not forced into it. And they still get their money eventually, it's not like the team is withholding money from them. It's obviously not the best move to backload your entire roster but if a team wants to do it and a player agrees to it then it's fine. It's probably because its Loria that everyone assumes its a bad thing but I'm sure other teams backload deals here and there. 

Anyways, I don't have a problem with them backloading deals. Not sure why people make that sound so negative. If it really is better for the team to do so then so what? The player has to agree to it, they're not forced into it. And they still get their money eventually, it's not like the team is withholding money from them. It's obviously not the best move to backload your entire roster but if a team wants to do it and a player agrees to it then it's fine. It's probably because its Loria that everyone assumes its a bad thing but I'm sure other teams backload deals here and there. 

It's a bad thing if you lost a bidding war due to this,right !?

The Nationals have been doing a lot of that lately. See the Scherzer and Strasburg contracts. Anything they are offering to free agents are also back loaded. What you don't see often is front loaded contracts only one I know of right now is the Johnny Peralta. He is in the last year of the front loaded 4 year contract.

Paying $25 million for a closer would have been asinine. I am glad we dodged that bullet.

The Nationals have been doing a lot of that lately. See the Scherzer and Strasburg contracts. Anything they are offering to free agents are also back loaded. What you don't see often is front loaded contracts only one I know of right now is the Johnny Peralta. He is in the last year of the front loaded 4 year contract.

Paying $25 million for a closer would have been asinine. I am glad we dodged that bullet.

I believe players would accept the backloaded contracts for GOOD teams,obviously we're not.

I believe players would accept the backloaded contracts for GOOD teams,obviously we're not.

Yeah many players would. But when you are back loading multiple contracts and they are all set to rise about the same time it becomes an issue for a team like the Marlins.

When Loria sells this could all change, who knows. This also pending the TV deal and stadium naming rights.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.