Police confirmed Jose was behind the wheel

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article138834953.html

“Fernandez operated [the boat] with his normal faculties impaired, in a reckless manner, at an extreme high rate of speed, in the darkness of the night, in an area with known navigational hazards such as rock jetties and channel markers,” the report concluded.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article138834953.html#storylink=cpy

Okay, let's say Jose had survived, but the other two men had died. Then we would have to see Jose as "at fault" right? Is it somewhat excused as just a mistake because his life was also lost?

If Jose had survived, there's a small chance that he would have seen jail time.

I think it's more than a small chance. Negligent manslaughter comes with a minimum 12 month prison stay, if I am reading things correctly.

I don't know what the minimum sentencing requirements are in Florida, but I'm sure he would have gotten celebrity treatment.

Legitimately curious about people's opinions on this:

Is it time to stop thinking so highly of Jose?

It's still really tough.  Young kid with no fear and all that.  It's terribly irresponsible.  I've had terribly irresponsible moments in my life and that was as a shy kid with no money.  I can't imagine the kind of trouble you could get into as a cocky millionaire in your 20s.  (apparently this kind)

I wish he'd been around long enough to see his daughter born, that kind of thing can get you to grow up awfully quick.

It's still really tough.  Young kid with no fear and all that.  It's terribly irresponsible.  I've had terribly irresponsible moments in my life and that was as a shy kid with no money.  I can't imagine the kind of trouble you could get into as a cocky millionaire in your 20s.  (apparently this kind)

I wish he'd been around long enough to see his daughter born, that kind of thing can get you to grow up awfully quick.

well said

We all make mistakes, sometimes horrible mistakes. This was a mistake, and it just is harder to accept because two other men died. I doubt he meant to take anyone with him or to kill himself. But, the fact is if he was driving (and it appears he was), he was responsible for the death of two others. He was responsible for leaving his daughter without a father. That's a horrible mistake. He paid with his life, the ultimate price.

I think all the honors should remain and he should be remembered for the positive moments too and not just how it all ended.