Marlins to honor 1997 champs in home opener Livan, Johnson and Renteria to throw out ceremonial first pitch

It's been 20 years since the Marlins shocked the baseball world with their first World Series title, and the team's home opener on Tuesday will pay homage to the 1997 championship team that beat the Indians in a thrilling seven-game Fall Classic.

Former pitcher and World Series Most Valuable Player Award winner Livan Hernandez, catcher Charles Johnson and shortstop Edgar Renteria -- all members of the 1997 Marlins -- will take part in the ceremonial fir marlins-will-honor-1997-world-series-champions/st pitch before Miami faces Atlanta at Marlins Park at 7:10 p.m. ET, the team announced Monday.http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/article/223427382/marlins-will-honor-1997-world-series-champions/

It's been 20 years since the Marlins shocked the baseball world with their first World Series title, and the team's home opener on Tuesday will pay homage to the 1997 championship team that beat the Indians in a thrilling seven-game Fall Classic.

Former pitcher and World Series Most Valuable Player Award winner Livan Hernandez, catcher Charles Johnson and shortstop Edgar Renteria -- all members of the 1997 Marlins -- will take part in the ceremonial fir marlins-will-honor-1997-world-series-champions/st pitch before Miami faces Atlanta at Marlins Park at 7:10 p.m. ET, the team announced Monday.http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/article/223427382/marlins-will-honor-1997-world-series-champions/

Guess they heard you too SB!

Yes! Exactly what I wanted! I asked this at Fan Fest and I first thought why bother asking because they probably already made their decision and my question won't change anything but then I thought that as stupid as this front office has been at times, and as easy as doing something for the 97 team can be, if they weren't planning anything then maybe me asking in a public forum would at least put the thought out there in public and would put it in their minds and maybe, just maybe something can get done. Now there's no way I can truly take credit for this but considering the sequence of events and the answer Samson gave me that day, I think I can smile feeling pretty good about my decision to ask that question. Now why they haven't sent me tickets to the home opener to celebrate this I don't know.

Yes! Exactly what I wanted! I asked this at Fan Fest and I first thought why bother asking because they probably already made their decision and my question won't change anything but then I thought that as stupid as this front office has been at times, and as easy as doing something for the 97 team can be, if they weren't planning anything then maybe me asking in a public forum would at least put the thought out there in public and would put it in their minds and maybe, just maybe something can get done. Now there's no way I can truly take credit for this but considering the sequence of events and the answer Samson gave me that day, I think I can smile feeling pretty good about my decision to ask that question. Now why they haven't sent me tickets to the home opener to celebrate this I don't know.

giphy.gif&key=0bbbbd05009195758f01da211e2786ed9e4b6c2ea85f7086f398b5a5af582fe3