Hech traded to Rays

marlins_09

JUNE 23, 6:32pm: The Cardinals don’t seem to be pursuing Hechavarria at this point, ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick tweets. It seems the push from the Marlins’ side is driven by an ownership effort to save salary rather than a baseball ops assessment, Crasnick also notes on Twitter.

To save salary…yea,why not,it's the Marlins…

JUNE 23, 6:32pm: The Cardinals don’t seem to be pursuing Hechavarria at this point, ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick tweets. It seems the push from the Marlins’ side is driven by an ownership effort to save salary rather than a baseball ops assessment, Crasnick also notes on Twitter.

To save salary…yea,why not,it's the Marlins…

Hechavarria isn't going to bring back a useful prospect most likely, so they may as well shed the salary or what's even the point of making a trade

Yea they might as well shed his entire salary in this potential trade but I think there's a strong argument that this is not just a salary dump and there is a legit baseball reason for this trade and that reason is clearly JT Riddle.

If Riddle hadn't been doing what he's been doing this past month this trade absolutely doesn't happen right now. And a salary dump of about 4 million? Even the Marlins can afford that. The Marlins have a younger and cheaper option at short now, so yeah might as well move the perennially underachieving Hech now but this is not just a salary dump.

I also think this trade would still be happening if the team was in first place and 20 games over 500, assuming the same situation played out with Hech and Rojas' injuries and Riddle getting the playing time. 

4 million was just as much as 40 million to cheap ass Loria…

Not when it came to Chen, Tazawa, Zeigler etc. It's not as much of a salary dump as it is a value move. Riddle is making pennies on the dollar and producing at a similar rate. Now let's see if they choose the right team/prospects 

I believe with the bad performance from Riddle in this month,Hech would stay…

Bad Riddle is pretty much the same as regular Hech. If they can get anything for Hech they still should do so. At least Riddle can improve, Hech will never be as good as he was in 2015 ever again. 

It's cool that they're trading Hech, but I certainly hope it has nothing to do with believing in Riddle because Riddle isn't good either. He has a -0.2 fWAR and he's not even a prospect. He was bad in the minors too. 

Could Riddle be any worse than Hech I think is the question right now. 

Could Riddle be any worse than Hech I think is the question right now. 

That all depends how you think he'll grade out defensively imo.

Offensively, they seem about the same, but I doubt he grades out better than Hech defensively.

For what it's worth, I do hope they trade Hech because I've wanted him traded for a long time anyway. It's a shame we didn't trade him after his 3 WAR season. 

I don't think Riddle is any worse than Hech right now even with the defensive question marks. But I do think Riddle at least has a chance to improve while Hech isn't likely to ever figure it out at this point. So if you can get something for Hech and get rid of his salary while having Riddle and Rojas replace his roster spot, you jump on that now and hope that either Riddle figures it out or eventually you get a new SS. Point is there's no reason to keep Hech at this point. 

I don't think Riddle is any worse than Hech right now even with the defensive question marks. But I do think Riddle at least has a chance to improve while Hech isn't likely to ever figure it out at this point. So if you can get something for Hech and get rid of his salary while having Riddle and Rojas replace his roster spot, you jump on that now and hope that either Riddle figures it out or eventually you get a new SS. Point is there's no reason to keep Hech at this point. 

I agree. I just also hope we get a new SS eventually. 

Honestly, I'd prefer to give Dee at SS/Dietrich at 2B a try to see if Dietrich can produce some offense. At least against RHP, Dietrich's production at 2B (career .765 .OPS against RHP) is above average. And Dee looked fine at SS the few games they tried him there this year. 

I don't see Riddle improving much based on his track record in the minor leagues. At least Dietrich has hit before. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/06/trade-rumblings-pirates-hechavarria-gyorko-harvey.html

The Orioles are reportedly out of the running for Marlins shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria, and ESPN’s Buster Olney (subscription required) writes that a lack of payroll flexibility may have scuttled Baltimore’s chances.  From the Marlins’ standpoint, the O’s wanted to move a comparably salary in a trade to fit Hechavarria’s remaining salary (around $2.17MM for the year) into the budget.  It isn’t clear whether the O’s are lacking in flexibility altogether, or simply weren’t willing to stretch payroll for Hechavarria, who is a quality defender but has delivered virtual replacement-level value in three of the last four seasons.

I agree. I just also hope we get a new SS eventually. 

Honestly, I'd prefer to give Dee at SS/Dietrich at 2B a try to see if Dietrich can produce some offense. At least against RHP, Dietrich's production at 2B (career .765 .OPS against RHP) is above average. And Dee looked fine at SS the few games they tried him there this year. 

I don't see Riddle improving much based on his track record in the minor leagues. At least Dietrich has hit before. 

Judge wasn't a power prospect either and looks what he's doing at MLB level. Give the kid a chance 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.