Stanton chasing history

DTrain

25 games left

more Home Runs to go

It would be historic and would help ease the pain of a substantial collapse (losing 3 of 4 at home vs the worst team in baseball at a crucial time in the season).

Something for the tortured fans of the Marlins to cling to.

You never know if he'll get the opportunity to do this again in a Marlins uniform. 

I believe.

Fair enough

But they're not winning games. This is the next best thing and it's potentially monumental.

Agree. The season is over. All you can hope for is Jeter doesn't let this stumble effect his goals for this team. I think a potential core on offense is in place. Stanton's season is historical, and in the long haul it is what will be remembered about this Marlins year.

73 is still the record to me.

Either way, 62 is impressive.

No doubt 73 is the record. 

Agreed. 73 is the number to beat. That's how you earn the title of undisputed champion. 

A clean Bonds may very well have hit 62 but not 73.  73 is beyond ridiculous. 

The undisputed clean record, however, is Maris 61.  

Then you have people saying his isn't either because it was a longer season than Ruth had.

Then you have those saying Ruth's isn't enough because it was only white players.

If you pick and choose the record, there's always some reason to say it isn't the clean or legit record.

The undisputed clean record, however, is Maris 61.  

Maris is undisputed, yes. Bonds is disputed, yes. 

To be the undisputed champion, you remove all doubts. All doubts include the disputed records set. It's impossible to measure the exact number of HRs Bonds hit due to PEDs versus what he would have hit. It's possible they had no implication. It's also possible they doubled his output. 

Then you have people saying his isn't either because it was a longer season than Ruth had.

Then you have those saying Ruth's isn't enough because it was only white players.

If you pick and choose the record, there's always some reason to say it isn't the clean or legit record.

Yeah but being proven to have been using steroids is a pretty significant way to dispute the record. The rest are just being picky. 

Also, has anyone calculated how many Stanton would have had if he had the same pace in April May and June as he has had since July? I know it's not realistic to keep it up all season but he'd have been on pace to top 73 right? 

61 is the record. Ruth playing with only (white) players was out of his control. Maris having a longer season was out of his control. Bonds intentionally cheated. It kills me to say this too because Bonds was my favorite non Marlin growing up.

(Just looked up Bonds numbers, he had a .609 OBP in 2004 0_0 )

Bonds is the greatest player of all-time because of steroids. Without a doubt, and without steroids, he would still be a top 10 player of all-time. It's like any sport. How do you know someone is cheating? They beat everyone else that is also cheating.

Yes but I don't think he gets to 73 that year without steroids so the number itself is flawed and is why getting to 61+ is still significant even if someone did once get to 73. 

Yes but I don't think he gets to 73 that year without steroids so the number itself is flawed and is why getting to 61+ is still significant even if someone did once get to 73. 

In my books ,McGuire, Sosa, those records are void. RESET everything. The record is 61 by Maris. I think Stanton will get to 59 this year. So close. He will start a slump very soon unfortunately