Derek Jeter: "First Day of a New Era"

SilverBullet

One positive is getting to see Jeter’s wife, who in my humble opinion, is one of the most beautiful women on the planet. I bet she is thrilled that Jeter will be in Miami so much considering she is from the US Virgin Islands. 

Other than that, hard to read what will happen after today. I would start by paying down 50% of the contracts to Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, and Chen just to get rid of them, if possible. At least it would save some money. 

If my wife of ten years would constantly beat me and cheat on me, and I finally had the courage to leave her, but then my new wife beats me and cheats on me during our honeymoon, at that point I would have lost all faith in women and would be forced to switch to men, animals, or asexuality. 

What a great metaphor !!

Stanton and Ozuna are good as gone.  Stanton to get payroll down and Ozuna to help build rotation.

I fear there are many Marlins fans and baseball fans in general that believe the Marlins could get a HUGE haul for Stanton. 

But you’re dead right; trading Stanton would be a pure salary dump. 

If my wife of ten years would constantly beat me and cheat on me, and I finally had the courage to leave her, but then my new wife beats me and cheats on me during our honeymoon, at that point I would have lost all faith in women and would be forced to switch to men, animals, or asexuality. 

I don't think this is the best analogy. 

For a fan base that has gone through multiple fire sales through horrible owners, how can the last straw be one more fire sale from a potentially great new ownership group? 

LORIA IS GONE... even if it takes another fire sale we now have a serious chance to be great... why is that so hard to see? 

It may hurt at first but all I've ever wanted was a consistently competitive Marlins team. I'm ready to wait this one out because there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

People should give the new front office a chance.  This team hasn't even had a winning record since 2009.  No play offs since 2003.  They've gone through multiple fire sales.  They have traded future hall of famers.  And now...just NOW...people threaten to stop being a fan of the team if the new ownership so much as sneezes.  Really?  You didn't leave under Loria but you want to leave now??  (This message is obviously not directed toward the person I quoted).

People think the ownership can just pull money out of their butts.  If the new ownership has to get rid of players it will be because of the stupid mistakes of the Loria ownership team, not because they want to do it.  They are being handed one of the worst financial situations in baseball and they cannot just ride the magic school bus into Hogwarts to fix it.

People think the ownership can just pull money out of their butts.  If the new ownership has to get rid of players it will be because of the stupid mistakes of the Loria ownership team, not because they want to do it.  They are being handed one of the worst financial situations in baseball and they cannot just ride the magic school bus into Hogwarts to fix it.

So what this new owner needs to do now was to save money to keep this franchise alive !? not do their best to win games because this franchise would be bankrupt if they spend the money that needed to keep this core !?

So what this new owner needs to do now was to save money to keep this franchise alive !? not do their best to win games because this franchise would be bankrupt if they spend the money that needed to keep this core !?

If you are losing money why would you spend more money to buy things that you can't afford? 

Fox Sports Fla better think long and hard about the ratings in store for them on Marlins telecasts if Stanton goes and the team ends up losing 95 or more games with the core largely gone. Better for them, and for the team, for the TV rights package to be renegotiated now, and the possible additional Marlins TV revenue to maybe help in keeping G and some of the core pieces with the team. I fully get that Ozuna will have to be traded for pitching.

If Stanton is salary dumped, I honestly don't see this franchise recovering with the fans for a very long time, if ever.   

Stanton because home run leader, just barely missed 60 bombs, best and healthiest season he's ever had after not finishing a season healthy and arguably underperforming every other year... and of course he might be the reigning MVP. There are probably several other lesser reasons as well. 

Not even close to Cabrera really. 

I fear there are many Marlins fans and baseball fans in general that believe the Marlins could get a HUGE haul for Stanton

I'm just not sure about that, the biggest thing the other team is giving is taking that contract, I just don't see teams shelling out all that money AND trading top prospects.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

The Cabrera trade was famously botched but that is in the past. The Stanton trade would definitely hurt a lot more. The impact of him not being in the lineup is definitely felt. If you can move the Dee Gordon contract, do it. Dietrich finished up the year really well I would like him back as well as Rojas. The other two contracts they should try to move is Zeigler and Prado because they still have value even if you have to absorb about 60% of it.

Stanton would hurt more cuz I have a bad feeling we won't get much back for him. Cabrera brought in an amazing haul at the time although only bradenhop panned out for the Marlins. Also we all knew miggy was gonna leave, he had no contract and our payroll was like 20 mil or something. I just love Stanton so much :'(

Here's my question though, who would/did hurt more when traded, Miguel Cabrera or Stanton? 

The thing about Stanton and Cabrera is that neither (this assumes Stanton is moved on) trade would/did come as a surprise.  This isn’t winter 1997 we’re talking about here.  The handwriting was on the wall with Cabrera. 

In Cabrera you have a player that spent parts of five seasons (720 games) with the organization and accumulated 19.5 WAR with the club (as computed by Fangraphs).  His high mark on wRC+ was 153, and aside from earning $7 million in his final year with the Marlins, the team never paid him more than 500k. 

In Stanton you have a player that spent part of eight seasons (986 games)  with the organization and accumulated 34.1 WAR with the club (as computed by Fangraphs).  His high mark on WRC+ is 151 (2014), his contract was famously extended.

Without getting too far into the weeds on productivity and all that they’re both clearly valuable, young, exciting, and productive players.  On one hand we’ve gotten the Giancarlo experience longer and the contract extensions (while backloaded) did give some people the idea that maybe there was a chance the team was going to put some pieces around a core.  It’s strange how quickly that contract turned him into a liability in the eyes of the people covering league transactions (losing sight of current productivity).  We were fortunate to get a full season of him this year which really only happened two other times.  The circumstances today aren’t the same as they were ten years ago when Cabrera was moved.  Teams are extending players differently.  The Marlins organization is not as deep today.  The baseball ops people made some choices (specifically around pitching) which were disasterous for our current MLB roster.  It has really painted any GM who runs this team into a corner.  Whereas, with Cabrera it was a function of knowing we didn’t spend and just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Basically even though it is tempting to compare the players because of age and productivity, there are too many things that are different about baseball to make them comparable situations. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.