Jeter's Payroll Trimming Plan? Trade Stanton, Gordon, and Prado

I can't do another rebuild.  Stanton goes and I'm gone.  First the Stadium was going to resolve the problems.  Then a new owner was going to be the savior.  Instead we get Loria part 2. I don't see any hope.  

You don't know if this new ownership is Loria part 2 just from a Stanton trade. Maybe these guys actually know how to do a rebuild and they get it right. There's more hope now than there was with Loria. 

You don't know if this new ownership is Loria part 2 just from a Stanton trade. Maybe these guys actually know how to do a rebuild and they get it right. There's more hope now than there was with Loria. 

Does it look like they know what they're doing? What makes you give them the benefit of the doubt. Jeter is a cute little guy, but that doesn't make him fit to own a team. Couple that with the fact that he has no money, and there's really not much hope. 

Does it look like they know what they're doing? What makes you give them the benefit of the doubt. Jeter is a cute little guy, but that doesn't make him fit to own a team. Couple that with the fact that he has no money, and there's really not much hope. 

I have no clue if he knows what he's doing but he's not Jeffrey Loria. By that alone I'll give him a chance. It also means zero to me that he's Derek Jeter. He's just not Jeffrey Loria. He hasn't made a single roster move yet and everyone already swears this is gonna turn out as bad as Loria did things. That's such horrible bullshit thinking right there. 

I have no clue if he knows what he's doing but he's not Jeffrey Loria. By that alone I'll give him a chance. It also means zero to me that he's Derek Jeter. He's just not Jeffrey Loria. He hasn't made a single roster move yet and everyone already swears this is gonna turn out as bad as Loria did things. That's such horrible bullshit thinking right there. 

I don't care that it's not Jeffrey Loria. There are quite a lot of incompetent owners in sports, so I don't think it's a stretch to say we might have another one. The new group has been in charge for a month and they've already racked up so many boneheaded  moves it'd give Loria a run for his money.

I don't care that it's not Jeffrey Loria. There are quite a lot of incompetent owners in sports, so I don't think it's a stretch to say we might have another one. The new group has been in charge for a month and they've already racked up so many boneheaded  moves it'd give Loria a run for his money.

A month of Jeter starting to clean up Loria's mess is comparable to 15 years of Jeffrey Loria's shenanigans? 

A month of Jeter starting to clean up Loria's mess is comparable to 15 years of Jeffrey Loria's shenanigans? 

No, but it's silly to defend him because he's not Loria. A bad owner is a bad owner. And the reports coming out don't seem to indicate that Jeter is cleaning up anyone's mess. Keeping Hill, firing the franchise icons and subsequently insulting them with low-ball offers, and now this report of a half-ass rebuild? Seems like Jeter either can't comprehend what Loria's messes are, or he's looking to make his own.

Either way, this is not how a good owner begins his tenure. We'll see during the off-season.

No, but it's silly to defend him because he's not Loria. A bad owner is a bad owner. And the reports coming out don't seem to indicate that Jeter is cleaning up anyone's mess. Keeping Hill, firing the franchise icons and subsequently insulting them with low-ball offers, and now this report of a half-ass rebuild? Seems like Jeter either can't comprehend what Loria's messes are, or he's looking to make his own.

Either way, this is not how a good owner begins his tenure. We'll see during the off-season.

That's fair but I wasn't necessarily "defending" Jeter. I'm absolutely not thrilled with all his moves either. I'm just not ok with everyone labeling him Loria 2.0 a month into his tenure. That's just stupid. 

The way this article makes it sound is the plan (for now) is to off-load Loria's back-loaded deals.  As much as it will suck to trade Stanton, getting his deal off the books solves a lot of financial issues for the franchise.  This isn't Jeter's fault.   Loria knew what he was doing.  He never intended to pay him that money (and Stanton knew it too).  He was always going to make it the next owner's problem.  Unfortunately now is the time to move him.  Jeter is actually lucky that Stanton had a great 2nd half and made his contract trade-able.

Obviously though, Ozuna would have a lot of value and you'd have to explore trading him as well.  My guess is that a lot will depend on what you get back for Stanton.  If they can add say a young starter and a replacement in the OF (maybe one of the Red Sox young OF for example), you can go into next year and try to compete with Yelich, Ozuna, Bour, and Realmuto.  Worse case is you can still move pieces at the deadline.   

How can it get higher? He's either the NL MVP or very close to it, almost hit 60 homers, and his contract isn't getting any cheaper.

A player who, if successful, could walk on his player-option to sign an even bigger contract. 

Couple that with the fact that people know Miami is shedding salary. Fire sale = devaluation. 

Couple that with the fact that Miami is trying to get rid of other unwanted contracts. 

Whatever Stanton trade we see might be awfully disappointing. 

A player who, if successful, could walk on his player-option to sign an even bigger contract. 

Couple that with the fact that people know Miami is shedding salary. Fire sale = devaluation. 

Couple that with the fact that Miami is trying to get rid of other unwanted contracts. 

Whatever Stanton trade we see might be awfully disappointing. 

Agreed with all of those issues. But with the season he just had in terms of both his numbers and finally staying healthy his value may never be any higher than right now even including everything you've pointed out. Yes his contract might have been easier to move a year or two ago but then he also had question marks in terms of health and never having really performed on the field the way he had always been projected to. Now that he's finally proven his health and his numbers it's the best time to trade him. 

Tear the whole team down with the exception of a couple players. Yelich and JT. Makes absolutely no sense to even try to keep this team together even partially. Trading Stanton away leaves a big weakness in our lineup, so we are going to try and keep it alive with Ozuna and others? They thrive when Stanton is firing on all cylinders. You cash in as much as you can on their value, especially Ozuna.

We need pitching... and lots of it! We also need younger players with controllable years that we can build around with. Gordon in the next 2 years will surely start to decline. Prado contract was a mistake but I get why they did it. Loria backloaded the contracts badly and this ownership is cleaning up the mess. Trying to compete again is asking for another 2017 season and it just didn't turn out as expected.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but even if Stanton goes I will still be around. I just HOPE they can rebuild this properly. Because trading away only those 3 players won't get it done. Even if they manage to trade them all away.