Marlins decline option on Ichiro

I would have kept him and not just for nostalgia reasons. The 500k buyout cuts down on the salary savings and I think that a player with his outfield versatility would be useful on the roster after trading Stanton and Ozuna (although they might be too stupid to trade Ozuna). He also gives you the "veteran leadership" stuff once you revert to a young, rebuilding core of players,

Yeah with the buyout and a min salary that replaces him, they'll save less than a million with this move and the player taking the spot isn't likely going to make an impact.

for this team he makes sense and yet doesn't make sense.  He's versatile for the OF role, especially with the impeding departure and utter destruction of the best OF in baseball this past season and with what will likely be a youthful roster, the veteran leadership would be nice - plus he'd likely be able to be signed at less than 2 mil if he really wants to keep playing. 

All of that said, as much as I have a man crush on Ichiro his bat leaves much to be desired at this point in his career and they might as well start throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks once they blow up the roster instead of running a nearly 50yr old singles hitter out there.  It won't be much of a loss aside from the handful of hardcore Ichiro fans that went to see him all the time and some of the moronic casual "fans" that just see the name Ichiro and think it's some massive blow to the team.

This is a dumb Marlins move.  The more things change the more they stay the same it seems.

27 pinch hits, can play all 3 outfield spots during the 65 games we’ll win during year 1 of the REBUILD and after the $500K buyout and what you’ll pay his replacement, it’s a very small savings.

This off season is going to be the worst. 

Are you sure they're operating much better than us? That's highly debatable. Ask their fans about that. Pretty sure they sell off their best players more often than we do. 

And both stadiums are considered dumps as well. I've never seen a fan envious of the A's situation before.

And both stadiums are considered dumps as well. I've never seen a fan envious of the A's situation before.

With the As too I feel like they sell off their players twice a year. Every winter and every trade deadline it's the same story. They never really seem to go to the next step of rebuilding. Seemingly ever.