Why has Derek Jeter received so much hate?

I agree with fish20 on this one... some of you keep bringing up the Latin music thing as if it's Jeter's one and only idea to bring in more fans. Jeter isn't that stupid. 

Well what else has he proposed though? I suppose there was the allegation where Jeter assumed that his legendary status would be a crowd draw.

Obviously the most important thing is sustained winning and Jeter is attempting to achieve that. But that won't happen for several years at least and the Marlins need to start catering to locals sooner than that to start generating at least decent turnout at the ballpark.

I do agree that some sort of rebuild was necessary and that is largely the result of Jose dying and several depth depleting trades and bad signings. 

He certainly could have handled many things better but at the same time I am not confident that this ownership group has what it takes especially when you find out about ridiculously unrealistic plans like Project Wolverine. 

Hard to believe that Loria has seemed better at times. 

Is it because he’s a former Yankee?

No, because the 1st thing he did was to basically fuck over every fan of the team.....I'm not talking about Stanton either, anyone with a brain knew that was coming. But the keeping of Michael Hill - it's a kick right in the heart. Because to Marlins fans it doesn't seem so far to really be a serious attempt to build a winning franchise....what it looks like is they are shredding contracts, then not improving the farm system, and in hopes that lousy MLB team + perpetually lousey farm system, means payroll stays minimal forever & Derek boy gets his investment money back + millions more when he sells his share to Sherman or someone else. It's a scam the way I see it....I could be wrong, but then I could be right too.

It seems that MLB just wants to torture South Fla more before they contract the team, and of course blame the fans for it 100%.

I mean, why aren't fans just flocking to the beautiful new stadium (that's going into it's 7th year of operation....so not so new anymore)...6 winning seasons in 25 played, but we have two WS titles so we're supposed to be happy & mindlessly flocking to the stadium. If they had expected that, why didn't they just install drool buckets for each seat ? 

Now buster olney, who im not sure why but seems to have an irrational hatred for Jeter, is criticizing him for not being at the winter meetings.  People do realize jeter isnt our GM or president of baseball operations, right?  He is the organization CEO and he has less than a 1% stake in the team, but he isnt making baseball decisions.  He might be giving general guidance as to the direction he wants Denbo and Hill to take the team, but this is just more irrational criticism of Jeter.  It would like being mad at Jeffrey Loria for not going to the winter meetings.  I'd prefer my owner to stay the hell away from the winter meetings or at the very least not meddle in the decision making of the baseball people.

The Winter Meetings, are for the owners ......do you live on Mars or something ?

Everyone says how inexperienced Jeter is at owning a baseball team so isn't it smart for him to NOT be at the meetings and just let his actual front office do their jobs?

that would be fine, if it was a competent FO....but with Mike Hill there.....yeeeeeeeesh

The Winter Meetings, are for the owners ......do you live on Mars or something ?

This is false. The Winter Meetings are not for owners. Most owners skip them. The Winter Meetings are for those who make trades and other roster construction moves aka GMs and those with similar duties. There are separate meetings that are for owners specifically.  

I'd love to know why South Florida acts like they care so much when there's a fire sale if they are completely indifferent to the team every other time in between. It's been 5 years since the last thing that could even be considered a fire sale and the fans haven't supported the team since then right? So why NOW do they suddenly throw up their arms in outrage? It's ridiculous. 

We want to support the team, but people keep getting kicked in the nads by the Marlins & MLB. NO fanbase in MLB has had to endure the shitshow we've had for the most part of 20 years. Don't bring up the Cubs, that is a different animal altogether

I think this ownership group needs some more time to see what happens. 

I understand penguino’s viewpoint, but, so far, most fans are criticizing trades that were probably inevitable regardless of the ownership group.

True but's just the WORST way they could have started. Yes they had to do it, but it just makes the majority of potential fans skeptical of everything they do.

stop giving that moron coverage. no one cares his opinion about anything and people keep interviewing him as if he is some pulse of the fan base.

His opinion is different than yours so lets not give him any attention? That "moron" at least puts his money where his mouth is.  He has every right to speak his mind.  If he were in favor of these "morons" running the show you would love the guy regardless of whether he does it for attention or not.  So he's not a shill for the new owners? Bad Marlins Man, bad!!  

Do me a favor, when this "rebuild" goes sour, (I hope to God I'm wrong) please don't ever bash this group.  You are not on the "lets give them a chance" crowd, you are in the "blindly all in" crowd.

His opinion is different than yours so lets not give him any attention? That "moron" at least puts his money where his mouth is.  He has every right to speak his mind.  If he were in favor of these "morons" running the show you would love the guy regardless of whether he does it for attention or not.  So he's not a shill for the new owners? Bad Marlins Man, bad!!  

Do me a favor, when this "rebuild" goes sour, (I hope to God I'm wrong) please don't ever bash this group.  You are not on the "lets give them a chance" crowd, you are in the "blindly all in" crowd.

I dont give a shit what his opinion is, it's that he thinks any one else cares about it that's the issue.  No one ever said he didnt have a right to speak his mind, I was complaining that reporters keep interviewing him as if his opinion is some sort of important topic or represents the thoughts of marlins fans.  What he did at the Jeter thing embarrassed me as a marlins fan because he is such a self important blow hard.

I could care less if he had the same opinion as me, I think he is an attention seeking gas bag who thinks he is a million times more important than he actually is.

Also, im not blindly all in.  As i've said numerous times, if this ownership group doesnt invest in the draft and IFA to aid the rebuild i will crush them.  Im just not going to bash them 2 months into their tenure as owners without having seen them play a game or have a year to evaluate the moves theyve made.

A couple more things:

The choice to tear this down is unquestionably the correct choice.  But this idea that the Marlins routinely “fire sell” is  both exaggerated and also should have no bearing on the decision to do it with this team.  It really isn’t about Stantons contract, or the batting order in general.  It is more about the utter sh-t show on the pitching side, a handful of awful contracts there too, and the pathetic farm.  A lot of casual sports fans tend to think the winter of 97 happened three times when really it was once.  The 2003 team was given two additional years to compete for division titles before pieces were sold off.  The free agents signed for the 2012 season shouldn’t have been signed to begin with.  The famous trade with the Blue Jays which prompted Stanton’s “now I’m pissed” tweet was actually the correct decision. 

What if the Marlins hadn’t traded Anthony DeSclafani for Mat Latos?

What if the Marlins hadn’t traded Luis Castillo for Dan Straily?

What if the Marlins hadn’t signed Volquez, Tazawa, and Chen to contracts that provide no value to the team?

These aren’t Jeter’s problems, but he is tasked to solve the problem and personally I’m not confident he has the tools to do it simply because he has no experience working in successful front offices in MLB.  Is Michael Hill responsible?  Maybe.  Or maybe Loria was more involved in baseball ops decisions than we realize.  Incredible things can happen on a whim.  Even Jeter’s own playing career was affected by small choices.  The Reds were all set to draft Jeter out of high school.  The scouting all pointed towards drafting him but some old stodgy scout vetoed the whole thing on draft day and they decided to go with Chad Mottolla instead.  Look at those dominos fall!

3 of the starting hitters off the 2003 team were not back in ‘04 (Pudge, Lee and Encarnacion). They also lost 14-game-winner Redman and  closer Urbina - who they had just gave up Adrian Gonzalez to acquire. So they didn’t give the ‘03 team a real chance to stay together. In ‘05 they won 83 games and they sold everything not nailed down except Cabrera and not-yet-arb-eligible D-Train. And those two soon followed.

Shouldn’t Neal Huntington and the Pirates receive the same criticism this offseason?

Seems like they have the same offseason plan, but nobody cares. To be fair...

that's because Marlins owner has made the Marlins the clowns of MLB

Shouldn’t Neal Huntington and the Pirates receive the same criticism this offseason?

Seems like they have the same offseason plan, but nobody cares. To be fair...

The Pirates ownership has been even more pathetic than the Marlins in their cheapness.  

They failed to take advantage of what they had, and should have been all in 3-4 years ago instead of essentially doing nothing.