Volquez released

Admin

I've never understood how contracts need to be paid by the team even if the player gets injured and can't play. That is ridiculously ass backwards. I get the contract being guaranteed even if two years into a 7 year deal the dude shits the bed, but they shouldn't have to pay for someone who misses a whole year due to tommy john. That should be an insurance policy that comes out of the player's money - the same way we all have to pay Geico. It's honestly bad for the sport when a team takes a risk on a player and the player succumbs to injury and wrecks the team's payroll. 

Ok, that's my vent for the night. 

I've never understood how contracts need to be paid by the team even if the player gets injured and can't play. That is ridiculously ass backwards. I get the contract being guaranteed even if two years into a 7 year deal the dude shits the bed, but they shouldn't have to pay for someone who misses a whole year due to tommy john. That should be an insurance policy that comes out of the player's money - the same way we all have to pay Geico. It's honestly bad for the sport when a team takes a risk on a player and the player succumbs to injury and wrecks the team's payroll. 

Ok, that's my vent for the night. 

Actually, if an employee gets hurt at work he gets paid through a worker's compensation policy that the employer must purchase by law.  I am assuming that pro sports don't fall under workers compensation laws but it should still be the responsibility of the team to insure their assets.

Actually, if an employee gets hurt at work he gets paid through a worker's compensation policy that the employer must purchase by law.  I am assuming that pro sports don't fall under workers compensation laws but it should still be the responsibility of the team to insure their assets.

I guess I was reffering to getting injured in general, not at work. But you’re right, if you get injured at work workers comp comes into play and virtually 100% of the time they are injured “at work” in sports. Still think the way it’s setup now in baseball is a little out of whack. 

Some of you seem kind of upset that the Marlins released Volquez. I'm actually happy about it. Keep in mind, by releasing him, they are agreeing to pay his entire salary. The Marlins could have easily "included" Volquez in a Yelich or Realmuto deal, dumping his contract on another team and getting a lighter return for the main player in the deal. Honestly, that's what I thought was happening once I saw the players we got back from the Cardinals for Ozuna.