Jeter's business plan projects big profits

Admin

I’m not sure what’s the best part of Project Wolverine. Is it the part where they say they’re going to make 68 million at a 90 million payroll - which means that they could have kept everyone except Dee, added a pitcher or two and still made money? Or is it that they anticipated trading off at least half the team and still increasing attendance? Maybe they called it Project Wolverine because the idea is to kill all SoFla business and move the team to Ann Arbor...

From a baseball sense, I agree with this fire sale. But the reason this team isn’t a sustainable high payroll team that can afford to stay relevant is that they have no asses in the seats. There are no asses in the seats because of how cynical the typical fan is regarding the intentions of this team, and this has done nothing but validate that thought. So for that reason, any new ownership needed to have come in, build on the solid core, and at least get the public perception of the team going in a positive direction. People say that no one came despite home run chases, mvp season, etc but honestly thats not what these people want. They wanted something new to be proud of. Loria was finally gone, we finally had something to convince people it was gonna be different. But they fucked it. I mean seriously, this wolverine nonsense is absurd. 

I’m not sure what’s the best part of Project Wolverine. Is it the part where they say they’re going to make 68 million at a 90 million payroll - which means that they could have kept everyone except Dee, added a pitcher or two and still made money? Or is it that they anticipated trading off at least half the team and still increasing attendance? Maybe they called it Project Wolverine because the idea is to kill all SoFla business and move the team to Ann Arbor...

Keeping everyone but Dee and adding one or two of Chatwood/Chacin level pitchers to this team (which is what they could have afforded with this hypothetical budget) would not turn them into a contender. Not happening under any scenario. Criticize their goals of increasing attendance, which do seem specious at best and I agree with you it's silly, but the keeping together the team narrative isn't an informed one. The decision to trade out the guys is unarguably the right move. That team was never going to win without Fernandez and healthy Chen/Volquez. It's sad, but it is what is is. Loria drove the farm into the ground through lack of spending on picks and IFA, and they need to shed all of their assets that have under 5 years of club control to bring in young pitching and build around Yelich.

So to answer your question, it's the attendance. They should have expected the backlash even if its the smart baseball move. None of this matters if they build a longterm winner in 2-3 years though, which is what their focus should be. Blame Loria at every opportunity and be cold hearted building a longterm sustainable winner.

From a baseball sense, I agree with this fire sale. But the reason this team isn’t a sustainable high payroll team that can afford to stay relevant is that they have no asses in the seats. There are no asses in the seats because of how cynical the typical fan is regarding the intentions of this team, and this has done nothing but validate that thought. So for that reason, any new ownership needed to have come in, build on the solid core, and at least get the public perception of the team going in a positive direction. People say that no one came despite home run chases, mvp season, etc but honestly thats not what these people want. They wanted something new to be proud of. Loria was finally gone, we finally had something to convince people it was gonna be different. But they fucked it. I mean seriously, this wolverine nonsense is absurd. 

They would have had to added $60 million in payroll to keep building on this core and give them a fighting chance, and then it would have likely all fallen apart just like 98 because its non sustainable for more than a year or two. Maybe 97/03 would have happened again, which I mean would be great, but likely not and then the cycle repeats itself and we're back to where we are now.

I agree with your comment they need to get the public perception of the team going in a positive direction. They need to sell this rebuild significantly better and not have Jeter being semi-sarcastic in a town hall saying it needs to happen with a smirk. He's right, but this shouldn't be that hard of a sell when Straily is your ace and your 4th/5th SP are Peters and Caleb Smith? No offense to them, but that's not Verlander/Keuchel/McCullers.

I just can't see how throwing money on a losing team inspires confidence.

Regardless, I think the move is signing Realmuto for 5 years so you have something positive to talk about and focus on him and Yelich being the new core. It's not fixing things overnight, but it's a start and shows a longterm vision that you're building even when selling. 

So the Marlins had planned on getting a new TV contract and at the same time gut the roster.  

Why would providers bid for that shit product to those levels?

This ownership group couldnt have been that fucking stupid could they?

Based on their actions so far, and their response to the negative media backlash, yes, I think they are just dumb

I mentioned this before but they could probably offset the looming attendance nightmare over the next three seasons or so at least a tiny bit by providing some "fan service" and making some cosmetic changes. They could try to bring back Ichiro, see if they can convince Rich and/or Tommy to return to the booth, rebrand the uniforms/logos/colors. Or try to figure out a ticket/concessions price structure that makes better business sense for a lousy team with no star players.

I know some people are dismissive of the PR stuff, but if Jeter works on some of these minor things they would perhaps stabilize interest among the casual fans at least somewhat. The problem is that Jeter appears to be banking mostly on his own celebrity status as a crowd draw but outside of the NYC transplants living in South Florida, not many other fans care about stuff like that.

It's likely that this stuff would hardly move the needle, but I think the results would be more measurable than "playing more Latin music at the ballpark."

I wanna agree with this but the first thing Jeter did was show that he wasn't about easy fan service. Ichiro, Waltz, even Conine and McKeon would have been easy keepers for fan service. Then again, maybe not? Trading away Stanton Gordon and Ozuna probably wouldn't have been offset by casual fans going "Well ill keep going to games because at least they still have Ichiro!" 

They will sell out the games against Boston and New York (Yanks) next year to boost the overall attendance but the average will be interesting otherwise.

You think so? Sellouts? Those games always get higher attendance but I'd argue there's always still a significant chunk of Marlins fans there. Or what I'm saying is, I don't think Yankee and Red Sox games are gonna sell out here.