Jeter has extra financial incentive to make Marlins profitable

Admin

I want to wrap myself around the concept that running a sports franchise is about mostly profitability-at least in Jeter's case it is as the bonuses are not tied in to winning but only profitability.  Sports franchises are not run like a regular business, you do want profits, but in many cases striving for one makes the other less likely.  Project wolverine says a $68 million profit and more to come.  So, when the team makes a run and has a shot to pick up an expensive signing (think Verlander for Houston) to push them over the top, hey, that cuts in to the profit and if they miss the playoffs, that is money lost, profits lost and the bottom line, Jeter loses bonus money.  Sounds like a conflict.

Project Wolverine was strictly documents provided to potential investors about the projection of profits. It was supposed to be only seen by them because others would focus on non-financial questions which was not what this is about. It is a shame it got leaked, because people can't grasp the fact it focuses on finances and only finances for a reason. There is no way to determine Jeter's interest in winning from these documents, it was never going to be their purpose.

But it was provided as a document to motivate additional investment and investors would hold Jeter accountable.  I am sure it was loaded with disclaimers like "none of this may ever happen so be sure you can afford to lose money".  But we still have to address Jeter's first priority, limited profits and a better ball club, or better profits, less success on the field and more bonus.  My point is, it is a conflict of interest.