Realmuto Trade Rumors

Entendu

He said just those two in the return. He didn’t say as part of a package. That could of course change things. With just those two I agree with the eagle.

That was just me speculating but I did say plus one or two more.  Either way I just wanted some feedback on Smith and Duplantier.

That was just me speculating but I did say plus one or two more.  Either way I just wanted some feedback on Smith and Duplantier.

definitely would be a step down from a deal centered around Robles or Soto.  I think it is more urgent to move JT though then it was to move Yelich.  I think its a little tougher to move catchers in the middle of the year and i think there is 0 chance JT stays here past the 3 years of team control remaining.

I don't think it would be horrible. I know Duplantier was a little old for his league but he demolished the hitters there in both low A and A+ ball.  1.39 ERA 136 IP and 165 K to just 42 BB.  His WHIP was 0.98.  He has front of the rotation stuff from what I have read.  Also, Smith had a .401 OBP and a .318 BA.  He was a first round pick last year and according to scouting reports his defense is above average.  He should also hit for power as he matures.  

The Nationals other package might still be better but I think it's far from a horrible return.  Of course, I could be wrong.  Lol

Smith was also still in A- ball at age 21. He’s only played one season of pro ball. Not saying he won’t be good, just a very unproven prospect for a front line catcher doesn’t move the needle for me 

JT has one more year of control than Ozuna had. The Nats are most likely believing that if the Cards can get away with not including any top 25/50/75 prospects in a deal then they can too. No need to include Robles or Soto. I'm sure they're just thinking they'll wait the Marlins out and sure enough KIEBOOM.     

JT has one more year of control than Ozuna had. The Nats are most likely believing that if the Cards can get away with not including any top 25/50/75 prospects in a deal then they can too. No need to include Robles or Soto. I'm sure they're just thinking they'll wait the Marlins out and sure enough KIEBOOM.     

Yeah but Ozuna is an outfielder, those are a lot easier to find. Not only is catcher an incredibly hard position to find all around talent for, but he’s a top 5 catcher at that. He’s worth a whole lot more than Marcell in my opinion. With that said, I don’t believe we should trade him. sure, whatever we get will hopefully plug a hole, but then they have a huge hole at catcher. Why trade him in the hopes that who they get for him pans out when he already did and is cheap and controllable. Seems like a lateral move. 

I can see this being accurate.

It came from Barry Jackson so i think its probably right.  Hard to tell though considering we dont know whose sources are the best for the new front office/ownership.

They really need to hit this JT trade though.  There could be a package that would be OK if it led with Kieboom and Fedde, but it would have to be a super deep package and im not sure the Nats would do it.  Not sure who else needs a C, but I think you'd just go to another team if you dont get Soto.  

Rockies would make some sense I think.  Trying to go team by team though and its hard to see a fit between a team who needs a C,  has the prospects to get a deal done, and is close enough to contention where making a deal for JT makes sense.  I could see the Padres maybe making an offer and that would be the best fit for us prospects wise.  I wouldnt do it if i were the padres, but just based on some of the guys theyve been in on this offseason it wouldnt surprise me.  Nats really are the perfect fit.  I think they end up seeing the window with Harper possibly closing and end up giving up Soto though.

I know everyone is locked in on the Nats and previously Arizona, but here are a few other teams that could be candidates for J.T.

Red Sox - At some point they will need offensive production from the C position.  Need a righty as well as the line up is lefty heavy. 

Reds - could be closer to contending than most think. Barnhart provides good depth but it’s time to move on from Mesoroco 

Colorado - I know they like Wolters but JT is elite 

Angels - Trying to compete now and having Martin Maldonado in your lineup are antonyms

Curious to hear why.

Because based on our plan, we should be in contention within 3 years. By that time in which JT would proudly sign an extension than or anytime in between like Yelich did at one point with us. Catcher is not an easy position to fill, and our history at that position has proven that.

FYI: just to let your guys know how strong I feel about this, only way I trade a player like JT is if a team is willing to blow up their farm to get him. 

How about we just keep JT, ok?

I’d rather speed up the rebuilding process and suck for less often by trading JT and getting back a return similar to Yelich than prolong the pain for the next 3 to 5 years and have a 30 year old catcher who may have to play 1B for half the season because he’s too old to play full time by the time the team finally becomes competitive.

With that said, I don’t agree to trading JT for one of Robles/Soto straight up because even if whoever we get becomes the next Mike Trout, they’re still just one player. My gut feeling tells me this team is still a handful of players away from having a glimpse of being competitive in the near future (assuming the prospects we’ve received this offseason pan out.)

Alex Avila ended up signing with the D-Backs.  Nats were heavily interested.  We'll see what that means.

I think this will ultimately be what makes the Nats cave.

I wouldn't even consider a package without both Fedde AND Kieboom if Soto or Robles aren't involved.

Because based on our plan, we should be in contention within 3 years. By that time in which JT would proudly sign an extension than or anytime in between like Yelich did at one point with us. Catcher is not an easy position to fill, and our history at that position has proven that.

FYI: just to let your guys know how strong I feel about this, only way I trade a player like JT is if a team is willing to blow up their farm to get him. 

To be honest, all indications thus far are that the Marlins agree with this. 

I’d rather speed up the rebuilding process and suck for less often by trading JT and getting back a return similar to Yelich than prolong the pain for the next 3 to 5 years and have a 30 year old catcher who may have to play 1B for half the season because he’s too old to play full time by the time the team finally becomes competitive.

With that said, I don’t agree to trading JT for one of Robles/Soto straight up because even if whoever we get becomes the next Mike Trout, they’re still just one player. My gut feeling tells me this team is still a handful of players away from having a glimpse of being competitive in the near future (assuming the prospects we’ve received this offseason pan out.)

I know this is said jokingly, but if you think you can get a Trout level player for J.T. you do it without hesitation. It’s asset allocation. You could turn around and trade Sierra or another prospect in that case and get the handful of guys you need when that time comes. At this point it’s all about collecting surplus value 

I know this is said jokingly, but if you think you can get a Trout level player for J.T. you do it without hesitation. It’s asset allocation. You could turn around and trade Sierra or another prospect in that case and get the handful of guys you need when that time comes. At this point it’s all about collecting surplus value 

I can’t argue with that. The only reason I stated it like that is because you look at teams like the Angels with Trout, the Nats with Harper, or us with Stanton, and realize that that 1 single player cant get you to the playoffs alone.

If trading 1 for 1 was to happen and in addition to that you could flip a prospect or 2 for the right pieces you need for future success, than of course where do I sign up.

I just don’t trust Mike Hill to realize that’s what has to be done.

The farm seems to be viewed by most as "average" or "middle of the pack" right now. JT is the only trade chip left that can bring the Marlins a blue chip prospect or close to a sure thing (which some say they still haven't gotten). They should continue to sell of what they can if the want to have anything like a good foundation when (if ever) payroll is to increase.

I can’t argue with that. The only reason I stated it like that is because you look at teams like the Angels with Trout, the Nats with Harper, or us with Stanton, and realize that that 1 single player cant get you to the playoffs alone.

If trading 1 for 1 was to happen and in addition to that you could flip a prospect or 2 for the right pieces you need for future success, than of course where do I sign up.

I just don’t trust Mike Hill to realize that’s what has to be done.

Agree there. 1 player will never be able to win the World Series for a team.  The marlins were in a position to compete with the offense, but they allocated assets poorly (Chen, Latos, Cashner, Straily, Tazawa etc). 

I know it was clear that our farm system was trash, but man. Those moves were all around awful. 

Agree there. 1 player will never be able to win the World Series for a team.  The marlins were in a position to compete with the offense, but they allocated assets poorly (Chen, Latos, Cashner, Straily, Tazawa etc). 

I know it was clear that our farm system was trash, but man. Those moves were all around awful. 

Overall you're right but the Straily trade was not awful even if we gave up Castillo. A young guy who can be a capable starter with years of club control. Maybe the timing wasn't the best but I'll make that trade again.

"It was no secret that Christian Yelich wasn’t happy with the Marlins‘ latest fire sale, and the team felt that Yelich could’ve become a clubhouse distraction had he remained on the roster, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports.  This is why trading Yelich was more of a priority than dealing catcher J.T. Realmuto, as “the Marlins believe Realmuto will be a good soldier if he isn’t traded.”  Of course, Realmuto has reportedly asked for a trade as well, though Miami is reportedly holding out only for a big return if the catcher is to be moved.  Jackson also notes that first baseman Justin Bour (a popular target for teams calling the Marlins) hasn’t asked for a trade."

clubhouse distraction and good soldier !? really !? who knows…

Here is the rest of the article that @taiwanmarlin is referring to:

I hope they keep JT as well. Overwhelming offer is one thing but don't sell low.

A six-pack of Marlins notes on a Tuesday:

▪ The Marlins felt more urgency to trade Christian Yelich than J.T. Realmuto, who also has asked for a trade, because they believed Yelich could become a sour presence in the clubhouse if he wasn’t traded, according to someone with direct knowledge of the team’s thinking.

Yelich was dealt to Milwaukee for four prospects Friday.

While Yelich’s agent went public with his dissatisfaction (with his client’s blessing), Realmuto’s agent (Jeff Berry) has declined to make any public comment and his client has not instructed him to do so.

The Marlins believe Realmuto will be a good soldier if he isn’t traded.

The Marlins feel no obligation to trade Realmuto and would only do it for an overwhelming haul in return. The Washington Nationals reportedly want Realmuto but are unwilling to give up either of their top two prospects.

Realmuto and second baseman Starlin Castro are the remaining Marlins who have expressed interest in being traded.

First baseman Justin Bour has not asked for a trade, according to a close associate.

▪ There was mixed reaction to the Yelich trade.

ESPN’s Jim Bowden tweeted: “Great trade by the Brewers getting Yelich with 5yrs of control and reasonable $58.25m remaining….[Outfielder Lewis] Brinson nor [infielder Insan] Diaz will ever be the complete player that Yelich is and is going to be … at least in my opinion.

“I think this Yelich for Brinson package will turn out with similar results to when I traded Paul O’Neill for Roberto Kelly … Brewers huge win….. Marlins return package way over-rated. [Marlins] making great progress towards landing overall first-round pick in 2019 June Amateur Draft.

Play Video

2:35

Christian Yelich talks about his clutch HR in 7-3 win over Reds

Miami Marlins center fielder Christian Yelich talks about his home run and team's hot hitting in 7-3 win over the Cincinnati Reds.

Andre C. [email protected]

But ESPN.com’s Keith Law said: “The Marlins did a good trade! They got three legitimate prospects back for Christian Yelich, and the fourth isn’t nothing, which makes this the best trade they’ve made in this cash-grab offseason.”

RELATED STORIES FROM MIAMI HERALD

Here’s one area where the Marlins’ payroll purge has been a positive for the franchise

Amid the thick smoke of another fire sale, the Marlins have a new reason for hope

Marlins outfield overhaul complete with trade of Christian Yelich

He said the Marlins received an “above-average everyday center fielder [brinson] plus an above-average outfield prospect [Monte Harrison] plus a solid-average or better second-base prospect [Diaz] plus a potential middle reliever [Jordan Yamamoto] in exchange for Christian Yelich and his very team-friendly contract. That seems like a good haul for the Fish, and very much what they needed after several deals that didn’t bring back enough baseball talent.”

▪  Brinson went only 5 for 47 with 17 strikeouts with the Brewers last season but hit .287 with 89 home runs in 545 career minor-league games. MLB.com rated him the 13th-best prospect in baseball.

MLB.com said that Brinson as a hitter “has come a long way since signing. His swing has cleaned up nicely as he’s progressed without detracting from his plus raw power, while a more consistent and patient approach and improved pitch recognition have resulted in fewer strikeouts and more walks. Brinson’s speed represents yet another plus tool and translates on the basepaths as well as in center field, where it helps him to compensate for what at times can be shaky jumps and reads.

Play Video

1:18

J.T. Realmuto talks about his walk-off homer in 5-4 win over Mets

Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto talks about rallying against the Mets and former teammate AJ Ramos on Tuesday.

Andre C. [email protected]

“Few players in the Minors can match Brinson’s power and speed ceiling, the combination of which could make him a 30-homer/30-steal threat at maturity. Now a member of the rebuilding Marlins, Brinson has the upside to become a long-term staple in the club’s lineup.”

▪  Two of the top position player prospects acquired this winter — Brinson and former Cardinals outfielder Magneuris Sierra — are both center fielders. One could easily slide over to a corner outfield spot.

But acquiring Brinson allows the Marlins to give Sierra more time in the minors to start the season if they choose.

The Marlins need to sign at least one veteran outfielder, perhaps two, to play alongside Brinson (or Sierra) and Derek Dietrich to start the season. Braxton Lee also might get a chance to win a starting job out of spring training.

The Marlins could have had Ichiro Suzuki for $2 million but bypassed picking up his 2018 option; he remains unemployed and looking for work.

In a depressed free agent market, the Marlins should be able to find cheap outfield help close to the start of spring training.

▪  Alex Rodriguez, on an ESPN conference call Friday, told me he gave fleeting consideration to joining one of the Marlins’ ownership groups.

“You never say never,” he said. “For someone who just finished playing, I have two daughters. I just wanted to take a breath before I got back into the game at that level. I never thought about it too much, but I can’t tell you it didn’t run through my mind for a minute because I did receive a lot of phone calls.”

Rodriguez was asked by an out-of-market reporter for his thoughts on the Marlins trading their best players.

He did not answer directly, saying: “It’s been well-documented how much I love the game. I’ve been in Miami for a really long time and I’ve seen this happen more than once. I know the fans down there are extremely hungry for a winner. Miami has the potential to be one of the best baseball markets in the world. The greatest players in the world reside within 500 miles of the stadium.

“The Marlins have a similar opportunity to draft local players. … They have a diverse fan base. I wish them the best. I am hoping the local team does well.”

Fox and ESPN agreed to share A-Rod, with Rodriguez working in the Sunday night booth for ESPN and working in the studio for Fox.

Overall you're right but the Straily trade was not awful even if we gave up Castillo. A young guy who can be a capable starter with years of club control. Maybe the timing wasn't the best but I'll make that trade again.

I agree with you on the motivation/appeal of trading for someone like Straily, I just don’t understand why it was Castillo. Castillo was not only also capable and controllable but also ready to go. It’s not like he was years out, and his projections were great so it’s not like his success was something no one saw coming. I think loria knew he was selling so he told hill to pawn every single guy for whatever he could to try their best to win now, regardless of how it handicapped the team later.