Brinson wanted to be a Marlin as a kid

SonOfJack

that's really cool.  He went to high school like 10 minutes from my house.  I have a few friends who are still friends with him.  Seems like a really good dude too.  Hope he works out and we can build around him.

Yeah I was reading up on him and checking over his twitter. He seems like a legit nice dude.

MIAMI--Lewis Brinson was understandably excited when he got the call informing him he was selected for the Futures Game.

As soon as the Brewers prospect and Fort Lauderdale native realized it meant he would get to play in his hometown ballpark, his excitement grew even more.

"This is great," said Brinson, beaming from ear-to-ear standing in front of the Marlins dugout. "Being from Florida, this is a great opportunity for us to play in front of our families and friends and the people we grew up with and helped us get to where we are today. It's going to be a lot of fun."

The excitement for the native Floridians went beyond just the fact they were playing. Brinson, who grew up attending Marlins games and was nine years old when they won the 2003 World Series, saw it as an opportunity to mingle with his childhood heroes serving as coaches for the game.

"I grew up watching these guys with the Marlins," Brinson said. "Charles Johnson, Cliff Floyd, this is what I was looking forward to. Meeting all these Marlins legends and greats. I saw Pudge Rodriguez in the hotel yesterday, that was great. I'm just looking forward to picking these guys brains from the day that we have them.

"Juan Pierre, I'm hoping he's somewhere around here so I can meet him. He was my idol. I was a center fielder growing up, I'd always try to sit in center field, yell his name, ask for a ball, watch his mannerisms. I modeled myself after him. Obviously we're a little different build, but I definitely looked up to him."

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/florida-roots-run-deep-at-futures-game/#M6qDJpDQRiswYRMx.99