Paul Severino named new Play by Play guy

Yep. That's in the article too. FOX Sports made both the hiring of Severino and the firing of Waltz but both were done with the influence of the team. 

I'd still bet that without the "influence" of the team, Rich Waltz would still have a job.

Same goes for Tommy Hutton.

I'd still bet that without the "influence" of the team, Rich Waltz would still have a job.

Same goes for Tommy Hutton.

Well hutton it was confirmed that the team didnt like him criticizing the team, which is so absurd to me.  I dont think Waltz was a team move.  What sense does it make for the first move you make to fire the long time broadcaster?

My guess would be that Jeter was watching a fair amount of Marlins games from Tampa while the sale process was going down to familiarize himself with the organization. For whatever reason he decided he didn't like Waltz's style and wanted him replaced. I think Waltz was terrific but his dry humor might not be for everyone. Jeter hardly even needs to lift a finger to orchestrate this, so it's silly to suggest that it's something that he wouldn't be bothered with if he felt strongly about it.

Remember that since day one there have been rumors about Jeter trying to tear down the HR sculpture, so it definitely seems like he's opinionated on "off the field" stuff to the same extent that Loria was and willing to put in a little effort to get things changed or replaced.

Again, the scenario I have in mind could be dead wrong, but I think it's the most plausible explanation as to why Waltz got canned. If you read some of the rumors in the press and the tweets by producer Frank Forte, it seems like FS Florida adored Waltz and it's suspicious that they would can him. It's also hard for me to believe that Waltz would be making any more money than Severino would, given how nationally recognizable Severino is. Maybe Jeter insisted on somebody more "prestigious" in order to rebrand the franchise?

Preston Wilson has other gigs, but I think that was likely more of a FS Florida decision. I think they realized that he was awful and gave him several chances to improve. The writing on the wall for his departure was probably there since the hired Hollandsworth.

FS Florida is also probably aware of how unpopular Wilson was. He had some supporters, but overall was clearly vehemently disliked.

I think Hollandsworth is decent.  I think he likes the sound of his own voice way too much, but Preston Wilson sucks.  He's a decent studio guy but i hate him as the play by play guy.

Wilson didn't do play-by-play except once that I can remember. He was a color analyst

but is he actually worth listening to? Joe Buck is a "big time name" too but Christ-in-a-handbasket he's awful.

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but is there anyone worse than Aaron Boone ? I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard. Is it just me?

I may be biased because he came across as an A#1 jackass when he played for the Winston Salem Spirits in the minors, many moons ago along with my least favorite MLB player of all time Julian Tavarez.