Herald: Several Miami-Dade Commissioners regret approving Marlins Park

SilverBullet

Several of the politicians did say that was the best part and the ones who said they would still approve the ballpark said it was for that very reason. So yeah several agree with this. 

To elaborate a little more, I mean who cares since there’s nothing that can be done to reverse the course of time.  It’s a closed matter so why does Barry Jackson have to write navel gazing pieces like this which have nothing to do with current ownership.  I get covering the suit against loria because it is relevant current events.   But this article was pointless 

Serious question...why do so many people get triggered when the Herald publishes a negative article? Like why does it matter?

I only bring this up because it seems like whenever the Herald publishes something inflammatory about the new ownership, there's always a litany of whining and groaning here. Just curious why people see this as important.

If you’re suggesting we collectively ignore it then I’m game 

Serious question...why do so many people get triggered when the Herald publishes a negative article? Like why does it matter?

I only bring this up because it seems like whenever the Herald publishes something inflammatory about the new ownership, there's always a litany of whining and groaning here. Just curious why people see this as important.

I'll answer it because I know I'm the one that does it often and I'm positive you had me in mind here...

Because the Herald is (to the best of my knowledge) the top/most read newspaper in Miami and it irks me when they write this crap because, if its not true, all it does is spread lies and false information that in turn the public starts to believe as fact. To me, that's horrible horrible journalism. It's one of the reasons we have so many bone headed people in this city that think so poorly of the Marlins. Yes I know the team has been run like shit forever and that's on them but the media posting false information definitely doesn't help either. 

You and I and most people on this forum can figure out when the Herald is correct or not about the Marlins but most people who read the Herald can not do that so I'd love if they stopped spreading false information. I'd love it if the news reported facts and stopped reporting opinions and biases as facts. 

Now to answer your second question... Is it important? Does it trigger me that I lose sleep over it or suddenly can't function in my daily life? No, not at all, contrary to popular belief.

It's not important and it's trivial but this is a forum for Marlins fans to discuss Marlins things including the important things and the not so important things. So I post it to create more discussion on here. I love that I can share this with people on here... including you.

If I was actually as triggered by it as you imply then maybe I'd write to the Herald or respond to Barry Jackson myself, but I don't. 

I don't see where I'm suggesting the Herald be "ignored" by anybody.

You don’t come right out with it but it could be an implicit suggestion.  Either way I find peace in ignoring irritating columns that deal with trivial matters but in this case I could help but read Barry’s article 

EVERY FIRE NEEDS TO BE EXTINGUISHED 

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I am genuinely asking...what exactly are the "lies" and "false information" contained within this article about the stadium funding? I just mostly see quotes from the local politicians expressing dissatisfaction with the current state of the franchise after they were promised the moon when the stadium deal was being negotiated. How exactly is the Herald practicing "horrible horrible journalism" if it's simply relaying information? All of the inflammatory content is contained in quotes for the most part. I don't really see an editorial stance at all here, although I just skimmed it.

I was responding to your general question of why we rag on the Herald and Barry Jackson articles. You are correct that this specific article is almost entirely quotes and is just "relaying information." I did think of this as I was responding to you. 

I also don't quite see why the article as a whole can be dismissed as trivial when there is an ongoing legal dispute about the profits from the sale. And of course there's been a  general concern about the team's financial situation in light of the firesale and there's also the recent complain from the MLBPA.

The things you’ve mentioned, (the lawsuit related to the sale, the offseason trades, and the MLBPA complaint), are all current events which are interesting and certainly warrant a reporters attention and a columnist’s opinion.  I think there has been some very good coverage of these events, but most of that good coverage has been found in other places.  While I didn’t agree with the general tone and implied position of Barry’s series on Project Wolverine, I do think it was very relevant and newsworthy.

However, going back and asking each commissioner if they would still vote for the stadium does not add any layers of nuance to coverage of current events (in my opinion…we’re all entitled to our own I know).  Everyone who reads this forum spends a lot of time absorbing baseball year round.  These commissioners do not.  Their point of view is largely shaped by very old and basic reasoning. For example:

“I thought the stadium would help and create jobs….” – Natacha Seijas

So it took Natacha a decade to realize that what she thought was wrong.  Any reputable economist that isn’t being hired by a professional sports team will show you studies that these endeavors do not help to create quality sustainable jobs for local regular people.  No…it took Bruce Sherman’s purchase and Giancarlo Stanton’s trade for Natacha to say “Wow! This stadium did not create jobs”

“My hope was eventually when the team did change hands that it would go to a deep pocketed group that would be able to keep the team together and work toward building a championship and would put  a quality product on the field….do what John Henry has done in Boston” – Dennis Moss

So Dennis here had a major responsibility as a Commissioner.  He had the ability to put the people’s tax dollars on the line to the tune of $1 billion dollars and from his quote it would seem that he voted yes because he thought when Loria sold the team someone with more money than Loria would buy it and do something that some other rich guy (who incidentally used to own the Marlins) is doing in a much larger and much older market than Miami.  Great reasoning.  If he had said that out loud then maybe another human could have pointed out that it is not uncommon for families to own teams for several decades.

“We had a competitive team and we needed to add pieces” Joe Martinez

No Joe, we didn’t have a competitive team.  Competitive teams win more games than they lose.

“Payroll should be in the midrange and obviously it’s not” – Bruno Barreiro

Bless you Bruno.  At least he has looked up MLB payroll.  But this cuts to what I’m talking about regarding thoughtful and nuanced reporting.  The MLBPA complaint opens up the conversation about revenue sharing between owners and players and when you begin investigating that you will find that payroll SHOULD be reflective of an individual team’s revenue.  Many articles have been written this month about this and they all support the 50/50 split in revenue between players and owners.  While I have not seen a study or article written specifically about the Marlins, it would not shock me to find out that they have a similar 50/50 split and that payroll is low because revenues are low.  Payroll isn’t just what is published on BBRef.  There’s a whole host of expenses born by the team related to retirement benefits, health care, and payroll tax which are all under the payroll umbrella.  While you could certainly have a debate about what constitutes “revenue” I think there are extremely compelling reasons why revenue from things like the sale of BAMTECH should not be included in the figure

So yea, maybe it was a bit harsh for me to say we should tune out the Herald.  They do some good work.  I just think this piece was pointless and misplaced.   Barry Jackson has a certain point of view on how things are going right now.  If he wants to fortify his point of view in the eyes of people with the opposite view then he should write pieces like this one which erode the positions he’s taken already.