Dolphins' owner comments on Jeter

Admin

“Miami is a great city. It's not a great sports town," Ross said. [The Marlins] haven't been winning. [Jeter] has to start all over again. I think you have to be patient and give him the time it's going to take to build a winner. He's a very smart, capable guy. He was a great baseball player. Hopefully he'll be a great executive. The best way to get a fan base is to win. Winning solves all solutions."

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article203664119.html

Guest CHRISTYTOD

If "the best way to get a fan base is winning", how do the Dolphins have one? He should practice what he preaches and mind his own. (disgruntled Dolphins fan for decades)

If "the best way to get a fan base is winning", how do the Dolphins have one? He should practice what he preaches and mind his own. (disgruntled Dolphins fan for decades)

the dolphins have some of the lowest tv ratings across the nfl and had some of the lowest for the super bowl.  their fans are passionate but also incredibly fair weather.  Im a dolphins fan and ive become fair weather through sheer incompetence and mediocrity but ive become fair weather and thats really hard for me to do.

Guest CHRISTYTOD
the dolphins have some of the lowest tv ratings across the nfl and had some of the lowest for the super bowl.  their fans are passionate but also incredibly fair weather.  Im a dolphins fan and ive become fair weather through sheer incompetence and mediocrity but ive become fair weather and thats really hard for me to do.

Same.......just saying that Ross isn't an expert on winning, so he should probably not weigh in!  Last time our Phins won it all, I was 7.  That is unacceptable! lol

The Dolphins have a fanbase because of how long they've been around and it's the first sport most long time Miamians associate with. I've seen the same cycle every year for the 29 years I've lived here. The entire city becomes Dolphin fans at the start of the season then they tune out when the team finally shows they suck. With that said, they kinda have what the Marlins envy, a fairly sturdy fanbase throughout the city that wants them to succeed. And even though most will tell you "the Dolphins suck" they have their fans who support them. In general they have that positive reputation that the Marlins don't have. Whenever the Dolphins have a run of serious success the city will be right behind them. This is what the Marlins need. 

Same.......just saying that Ross isn't an expert on winning, so he should probably not weigh in!  Last time our Phins won it all, I was 7.  That is unacceptable! lol

What does him being an expert on winning have to do with the pretty obvious fact of this team pretty much exclusively only supporting teams when they are winning?

The Dolphins have a fanbase because of how long they've been around and it's the first sport most long time Miamians associate with. I've seen the same cycle every year for the 29 years I've lived here. The entire city becomes Dolphin fans at the start of the season then they tune out when the team finally shows they suck. With that said, they kinda have what the Marlins envy, a fairly sturdy fanbase throughout the city that wants them to succeed. And even though most will tell you "the Dolphins suck" they have their fans who support them. In general they have that positive reputation that the Marlins don't have. Whenever the Dolphins have a run of serious success the city will be right behind them. This is what the Marlins need. 

agreed aside from the general point that they have a positive reputation.  I think they have an unbelievably (and deserved) negative reputation.

agreed aside from the general point that they have a positive reputation.  I think they have an unbelievably (and deserved) negative reputation.

You know I thought twice when I wrote that because the wording seemed wrong but I know what I meant. There is a negative reputation but there is a more, um, less negative vibe as well. Or more of a hope for positivity?

When the NFL season is gonna start I feel like people are more amped up and kinda hoping that maybe this is the year.

I say this in relation to the Marlins where most people are like "ah whatever, let me know if they make the playoffs and until then forget it."