Fabulous SI article on Stanton being traded to the Yankees

SilverBullet

I really enjoyed this read but it also stood out to me that it wasn't so much about swooning over Stanton being a Yankee but more about Stanton discussing his time and his ending with the Marlins. Also gives Stanton's side of the trade talks. A lot of great quotes in here...

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/03/20/giancarlo-stanton-aaron-judge-new-york-yankees

I found it interesting that Stanton said to keep the 17 team together but that it would be ok to blow it up if they weren't contending at the halfway point. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that's almost admitting that there was no sure way to contend in '18. Like it was clearly a gamble. To me that provides more evidence that Jeter wasn't crazy in thinking we couldn't contend in 18.

I found it interesting that Stanton said to keep the 17 team together but that it would be ok to blow it up if they weren't contending at the halfway point. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that's almost admitting that there was no sure way to contend in '18. Like it was clearly a gamble. To me that provides more evidence that Jeter wasn't crazy in thinking we couldn't contend in 18.

Yeah that is the line that stood out to me the most in the whole article that by the way was extremely well written. I definitely respect Hill and Jeter for sticking to the guns and also Stanton for having no filter and saying what he needed to say.

This was inevitable and I do wish Stanton the best. But him out in LF just looks very uncomfortable. Really wish they could make Judge and Stanton play in the same OF minus the whole DH thing. Never been a fan of that. It would take some adjustments but they can make that workout.

I got something different out of it.  I took it to mean that he had confidence that they could compete if they added some pitching.  If he was wrong then blow it up.  I think Stanton really believed in the core of that team.  Either way, we will each have our own take on it.  What bothers me is the ultimatum given to Stanton.  Jeter is an arrogant snob and a prick.  I will always maintain #FuckJeter.  Hopefully the Marlins can compete in spite of him.  #Marlinslifer #NeverJeter. 

What an ignorant statement. If the team he helped construct succeeds, it most certainly is due in part to him. He made those tough calls. If they work, he should get the credit for it. I know you'll blame him if they fail since you're preemptively doing it so you can't have it both ways.

I know he will get the credit if they succeed.  That's not whay I meant.  What I should have said is that I hope the Marlins succeed in spite of my disdain for him.  I can't wish for him to fail becuase it would mean the Marlins fail.  I'm separating my feelings of him from the Marlins.  I disagreed with the firesale but I have come to terms with it.  What I disagree with even more is the way he goes about doing those things.  I just think he's a dick but I love the Marlins.  

I know he will get the credit if they succeed.  That's not whay I meant.  What I should have said is that I hope the Marlins succeed in spite of my disdain for him.  I can't wish for him to fail becuase it would mean the Marlins fail.  I'm separating my feelings of him from the Marlins.  I disagreed with the firesale but I have come to terms with it.  What I disagree with even more is the way he goes about doing those things.  I just think he's a dick but I love the Marlins.  

This is fair. You can get back on the boat with me now. 

Also, Stanton is wrong about what he thought the team would've done. It's a proven fact. 

His idea was to sign those two mythical starting pitchers right? So he's just as stupid as the rest.

He knew the team would be taking a loss financially, but this team had the offense in spades. He's not wrong that with a couple more arms, the team could have [key word could] competed. We can't pretend the arms weren't there, because they were, it was just a matter of being willing to sign them, knowing there's be a monetary loss for the time being. G even said to blow it up if they weren't competing, he understood, and not "as stupid as the rest" as you say, Mr. Eagle.