Is there an exciting player in this organization?

Erick

SS: Joe Dunand, Jupiter Hammerheads (Class A Advanced)

(Marlins' No. 18 prospect)

.372/.429/.628, 10 G, 12 R, 16 H, 3 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 5 BB, 7 K

Reminiscent of his uncle, Alex Rodriguez, Dunand is a shortstop packed with plenty of raw power. He finished his 2017 pro debut with a three-game cameo with Class A Advanced Jupiter, and has thrived there at the start of this season. He paces the Florida State League in total bases (27) and hits while being tied for first in runs. It's a small 18-game sample size, but Dunand now has a .371/.446/.643 slash line as a pro.

I don't think we are in a position to say anything about our minor league teams. All of our best prospects are in A+ to double A. You can make projections, and statements about what they might do, but you can't say much with high confidence. If half of them have a good year we will have a top farm, and a stacked triple a. if one or two of them light up there respective league we will have our can't miss prospects. Remember Anderson wasn't highly thought of till literally this last winter. 

Brinson is 22, I'm not going to claim bust on him for at least another year. Personally I think it's all in his head. if we were winning, and someone else took the star role, I think he would be hitting. We just don't have that.

I don't think we are in a position to say anything about our minor league teams. All of our best prospects are in A+ to double A. You can make projections, and statements about what they might do, but you can't say much with high confidence. If half of them have a good year we will have a top farm, and a stacked triple a. if one or two of them light up there respective league we will have our can't miss prospects. Remember Anderson wasn't highly thought of till literally this last winter. 

Brinson is 22, I'm not going to claim bust on him for at least another year. Personally I think it's all in his head. if we were winning, and someone else took the star role, I think he would be hitting. We just don't have that.

Brinson is going to be 24 in a couple weeks.  But you make excellent points about our prospects currently sitting in the lower levels of the minors.  So much can happen with all of those player in 2-3 years time.  Anderson's perceived value may have been inflated by the fact that he was the best we had before the winter trades (I do like him though). Everyone should relax on Brinson.  If he was in AAA working through this his struggles would be as under the radar as Sierra's currently are

Brinson is going to be 24 in a couple weeks.  But you make excellent points about our prospects currently sitting in the lower levels of the minors.  So much can happen with all of those player in 2-3 years time.  Anderson's perceived value may have been inflated by the fact that he was the best we had before the winter trades (I do like him though). Everyone should relax on Brinson.  If he was in AAA working through this his struggles would be as under the radar as Sierra's currently are

One thing about Brinson that is really the problem for him. He had good triple a numbers. Sierra never hit. Has never hit. Brinson has, and I think right now that is why we are all worried about his slump. I think we are all worried about makeup rather than skill.

Well, they still haven't gone through their first draft yet, so, eh. That's the last element of bringing in talent to the organization that the new ownership group hasn't done yet. That's what some of these teams that we're trying to emulate did, like Houston and Washington. 

If they (the Marlins) can get some studs at the top of the draft, that could make an impact. And yes studs, because they will obviously need more than one, and they will most likely have a chance to get more than one considering they should be picking at the top of the draft for multiple drafts in a row, like what Houston and Washington did.

One thing about Brinson that is really the problem for him. He had good triple a numbers. Sierra never hit. Has never hit. Brinson has, and I think right now that is why we are all worried about his slump. I think we are all worried about makeup rather than skill.

Didn’t Brinson play triple A in CO Springs?  That’s like the most hitter friendly locale in all of AAA

Well this article fits this thread... this guy picks who he thinks is the most exciting guy on each team right now. Admitting that who is exciting is subjective he basically says he picked the one guy on each team that makes you stop what you're doing and pay attention when they take the mound or come up to bat... for us he chose Tayron Guerrero for how hard he throws and because he's probably "terrifying" to step into the batter's box against.

https://www.mlb.com/news/most-exciting-player-on-every-mlb-team/c-272094326

Didn’t Brinson play triple A in CO Springs?  That’s like the most hitter friendly locale in all of AAA

yeah, fair. So send him down then? I guess that's where we are at, help him improve what needs to be improved and see if he can take a few deep breaths and address his problems.

Austin Dean is another one that is intriguing. He might have the best eye in the farm.

Good lord he's been in our system for seven years.

Also inaccurate, 187 walks in 2300+ PA. He's not striking out at an insane rate, but he doesn't have any power or speed. He's basically Donovan Solano.

yeah, fair. So send him down then? I guess that's where we are at, help him improve what needs to be improved and see if he can take a few deep breaths and address his problems.

I think he should have been sent down when Shuck was recalled.  We have a group of guys getting close to being back on the team in Straily, Chen, Prado, and Riddle.  Moves will be made.  Brinson may survive it though. Riddle is not a guarantee for the 25 man roster.  The two pitchers will bump two other pitchers.  Prado is the one that could affect Brinson depending on how they plan on deploying Prado.  Telis is out of options so he seems unlikely to go down.  Yadiel Rivera makes sense but that would leave Rojas as the only guy on the team capable of playing SS.  That leaves Brinson and Shuck.  I’d prefer to see Brinson to go down.  This spring the big concern was gaining that extra year of control by holding him down.  At this point that is secondary to getting him back on track developmentally.  Whether that is better to be done in New Orleans or with the big league club I do not know.

One more interesting note on Brinson, he has surpassed is plate appearances from last year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=14352&position=OF

Walk rate is WAY down.  K rate is the same.  BABIP is slightly up but still terrible.  His wRC+ is -14. 

That would be nice.   He turns 23 in September and he is still playing there in Jupiter.   It’s probably too early to make that call but if he continues to hit well and gets a promotion to AA it will be interesting to see if they keep him there.  Jax could have an Isan Diaz Joe Dunand MI.  

can he stick at ss?

His bat will play at 3rd base as well.  As long as he hits he will have a position.  By the time he's ready we can move Anderson to 1st base and have Dunand at 3b.  Who knows, he might be able to stick at SS.  That would awesome.  There's also James Nelson who can play 3rd and 1st but doesn't quite the have pop of Dunand.  

Seriously,how about Stone Garrett ?

He had a really bad season in Jupiter last year.  He was however coming off of that injury where he was stabbed in the hand by Naylor so maybe that played a part in it.  He's off to a really nice start this year in Jupiter.  Still only 22.  He has the tools.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.