Which has been the most disappointing Marlins season ever?

I don't equate "most disappointing" with "most losses." Instead, I feel that the most disappointing squads were those that were expected to compete -- if not win it all -- and fell short. In other words, ownership pulled out the checkbook for a change, but the team still failed to meet expectations. 

That being said, in my view, the most disappointing teams have been:

1. 2005 - Signing Carlos Delgado to a mammoth contract had "we want to win a championship" written all over it. The team was uniquely positioned to win the division given that they still had most of the holdovers from 2003. The Marlins were in the hunt until September, when they fizzled out for good.

2. 2012 - A new ballpark. A new manager. New uniforms. A slew of big-name signings including Jose Reyes, Heath Bell, Carlos Lee, and Mark Buehrle. All of that amounted to an atrocious 68-94 record, good for dead last in the division.

Honorable Mentions:

3. 2004 - Some might make the case for 2004, but I think most of us knew that without Derrek Lee and Pudge Rodriguez, our chances of repeating had greatly diminished. 

4. 1998 - It was pretty obvious that we wouldn't be able to keep all the talent that brought us a championship in '97. Because the gradual dismantling commenced in the offseason, many were skeptical that this franchise would win it all again in 1998.

Do you agree with this list? Or do you think there were other seasons that wound up being even more disappointing than these?

Definitely some combination of 2005 and 2012 lead the way here along with varying degrees of disappointment between 2015 and 2017 which were three seasons where the teams weren't "great" but were deceiving enough for us to believe they could have been better than they were. It's pretty astonishing that we didn't even finish at .500 any of those three seasons.

Also, honorable mention: 2010. Again, we weren't "great" but the way 2009 went I think 2010 has to be considered a disappointment for the tremendous step backwards that we took that season. 

I think the offseason heading into 2012 was the most disappointing.  The previous 15 years this market was told by every owner that the stadium was what was holding the franchise back.  So 2012 was supposed to be the major turning point for the club. 

In one week’s time in December they signed Bell ($27 million), Reyes ($106 million), and Buherle ($58 million).  That’s $191 million to three guys in a weeks time coming from a team that the previous season had lost 90 games with a  $58 million payroll.  It could have been worse if Albert Pujols had given them their way.  Until that winter every decision was made with as much financial prudence as possible.  It was that December that it became very clear that Loria’s group didn’t know how to spend money on a baseball-first operation and they were going to just spend to spend.  This was reinforced several times over since then. 

Austin Dean heading to the Fish. Why not! Happy to see him get his chance.

This year will be the most painful. Reasons are obvious, to those like me pissed at what happened to the team. My viewership is down about 90%. Compounded in that Severino/Hollingsworth (or is Hollingsworth/Severino?)  don't offer a compelling reason to stick around. 

2016. We were 9 over at the end of July, 57-48, only a few games out of first, with a really good chance to make the playoffs. Then the calendar turns to August, Stanton gets hurt again, Ramos gets hurt, Phelps gets hurt, and Bour takes forever getting back. Even Dietrich went down. We just ran out of guys. I went to two games the week of 9/19 - the 9/20 game and the 9/24 game. The 9/20 game we won 1-0, behind probably the best pitching performance I'd ever seen (and I was at the Halladay perfect game), and we won a pretty exciting game on 9/24. 9/24 was a Saturday night, there was a pretty good crowd and a great atmosphere, and I'll always remember how I felt going home. I felt like if only the team was able to stay on the field in August things might have been different, but the sky's the limit for the team going forward.

And then 9/25 happened. The worst, ever.

2012 was very frustrating, and having everything slip through our fingers in '05 was pretty bad too. But we had a pretty good baseball team for most of '16, and it ended in the worst way possible.

If this year is considered a disappointment you have no clue how a rebuild works. 

it involves trading your more exspensive established guys for some up-and-coming prospects with a fair amount of upside right? 

......So wait, we're not rebuilding then since they only did the first half of that equation? Your statement is very confusing.

2012 was the most disappointing considering it was the first year of the new park and that was easily the most miserable and dysfunctional team to watch.  This year so far is runner-up considering I actually found the team enjoyable to watch last season.  That offense was a treat to watch on the field and the guys looked like they were genuinely having fun out there.  To have that blown-up after finally getting a new owner after waiting for what feels like an eternity?  Yeah, that was a dick move to the remaining fans and just flat out retarded PR-wise to a community that already didn't trust Loria and co. First impressions count and perhaps no more so than in the Marlins scenario. 

Anyway, 1.) 2012,  2.) 2018,  3.)1998

it involves trading your more exspensive established guys for some up-and-coming prospects with a fair amount of upside right? 

......So wait, we're not rebuilding then since they only did the first half of that equation? Your statement is very confusing.

That has nothing to do with my statement. My point, if my interpretation of a disappointment of a season is falling below expectations, is that no one should be disappointed by this season because no one should have expected any more than a last place team. 

With that said, if anyone wants to call 2018 a disappointment on the fact that it just sucks to lose Stanton Yelich Ozuna and Gordon and to have a worse team out there this year than yea that's a fair form of disappointment. 

Wins and losses aside, if our young players don't start performing, it'll be a disappointing year. 

only real young guy we have that really matters for the future is Brinson and Anderson to an extent.  Everyone else is just filler for the other guys we've gotten to continue to develop.  We wont start seeing the real young guys for another few months and then at the beginning to the middle of next year, plus the guys we draft/have drafted that havent really begun to climb the minors yet.

If this year is considered a disappointment you have no clue how a rebuild works. 

I don’t think you know what disappointment means. 

I’ll explain.  

Our RF hit 59 HR’s last year and OPS’d over 1.000

He’s not on our team this year. 

That is very disappointing to me this year. 

To be disappointed, you have to expect something better beforehand. You expected a playoff run this year cause I sure didn't.

Or maybe he expected one of Brinson, Monte, Diaz or Devers to be providing some type of production at their respective levels. I understand it’s early, which is why expectations were maybe one of them could provide a glimmer of hope. Nope, nada 

I don’t think you know what disappointment means. 

I’ll explain.  

Our RF hit 59 HR’s last year and OPS’d over 1.000

He’s not on our team this year. 

That is very disappointing to me this year. 

Check my next post after the one you quoted, I went back and gave you that form of disappointment. 

2016. We were 9 over at the end of July, 57-48, only a few games out of first, with a really good chance to make the playoffs. Then the calendar turns to August, Stanton gets hurt again, Ramos gets hurt, Phelps gets hurt, and Bour takes forever getting back. Even Dietrich went down. We just ran out of guys.

But we had a pretty good baseball team for most of '16, and it ended in the worst way possible.

Another thing I'd like to add on here, Stanton slumping most of 2016. I imagine that was a few more games we could have won that year.

Dee getting popped for PEDs as well hurt, although the team did really well without him, as evidenced - 57-48 at the end of July. Dee missed most of that time period.

This is 100% where our front office's lack of insight absolutely destroyed us. No depth to call up from the minors to replace anyone, having to rely on the Donovan Solano's of the world.