Marlins Revoke Andy Slater’s Press Credential

This is a bad look for the Marlins! Essentially, they are saying any journalist who criticizes the team too harshly can get their press credential taken away. Have the Marlins ever heard of “Freedom of the Press”? I get the Marlins are a private business, but Andy Slater has had press credentials for 7 years, according to his comments on the Dan LeBatard show. Now, because Slater went with Marlins Man to the British Virgin Islands to expose them, they revoke his credentials?! I call bullsh*t! Shame on you, Marlins!

[ATTACH]1968._xfImport[/ATTACH]

76EB31A6-756C-4A58-9D96-0BA3894C32ED.thumb.jpeg.cfa50e418291302f995c1b795e89657a.jpeg

1. Andy Slater’s Marlins press credential isn’t responsible for any quality Marlins content which I cannot live without

2. Andy Slater didn’t “expose” the Marlins, nor do his actions qualify as a “scoop” as is implied in his tweet.  Anyone with a pulse knows that a company with a registered address in the Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, or Bermuda does so for very specific reasons and their “presence” is literally a PO Box.

3. Andy Slater isn’t being silenced.  He can still do whatever it is he does for the audience he serves.

4. The Marlins have every right to revoke credentials from people as they see fit.  They aren’t the first team to do this nor will they be the last.

Marlins issue credentials on a day by day basis, they rejected him once or twice but they also have issued him passes since this day. They also stated he'll be issued a pass if he requests another game as well so this is a non-story and misreported.

Isn't this also old?

@SonOfJack so you're saying this happened long ago but he has since gotten it back? 

Geez if so then yes this is garbage and means nothing.

He's been issued credentials since he did the video and since the day he was denied a pass yes. They rejected him and never said it was for this, he just decided it was. For all he knows they just had too much press that day already assigned.

Andy Slater and Craig Mish are both embarrassments to the journalism profession. They are the epitome of "better first than right" and will post unsourced rumors as facts, hoping that they're right, then deleting if they're not. But they make sure to let everyone know when they guess right. Ugh. 

Andy Slater and Craig Mish are both embarrassments to the journalism profession. They are the epitome of "better first than right" and will post unsourced rumors as facts, hoping that they're right, then deleting if they're not. But they make sure to let everyone know when they guess right. Ugh. 

Yeah and now I kinda hope they do stop issuing him credentials, since he was a drama queen and acted like it already happened.

Yeah and now I kinda hope they do stop issuing him credentials, since he was a drama queen and acted like it already happened.

"MAYBE they'll take away my credentials...better report it as fact...gotta get those clicks. Don't forget to follow me on Twitter!"

-Andy Slater's thought process.

"     "

-Craig Mish's thought process. 

I hate how the national media is spreading this story and leaving out the response from the Marlins. Not to mention, excluding the fact that Slater couldn't have his "pass" revoked since a "pass" didn't exist for him in the first place. His station would apply for the credentials on a game by game basis as needed. They make it sound like he had an actual ID card granting access to all games as press and the Marlins took it away.

And then when I post about situations like this and complain about how the media is spreading lies and false information I get asked why I'm "triggered" and why this stuff "bothers me" and why I'm kissing Jeter's ass or whatever. 

The media is clearly 100% wrong here but apparently it's ok to keep letting them lie about something I actually am knowledgeable about and care about. Within a reasonable confine of those who would care, I won't shut up about it. 

With that said this stuff always makes me wonder how often the media is lying about things that I am not knowledgeable about and I just hear it and think it's true. It's probably so often it's not even funny. 

Slater’s story was disingenuous. Corporations all across the country incorporate in jurisdictions that have favorable corporate laws, such as BVI or Delaware. It was misleading to present it as some shocker that there isn’t an actual office there. Place of incorporation and principal place of business are two completely separate issues. 

https://deadspin.com/petty-ass-derek-jeter-yanks-credentials-from-radio-host-1826168084/amp?__twitter_impression=true

This kind of contradicts what is being said on this thread.  He initially had credentials for seven years before this season and they changed it before the season started.  Then after the BVI story he has been denied every time he has applied. I don't know who is lying, Slater or the Marlins but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Slater because #FuckJeter.  

I will say this, I know many of you are young liberals and while this is not political, just think about how you felt when Trump threatened to revoke press credentials to some White House correspondents. This is just as petty.  Whether Slater is telling the whole truth or exaggerating some, there's no doubt that his credentials were revoked because of Slater's reporting.  The BVI thing might not be illegal but it bothered them enough to revoke his credentials. 

Just food for thought.  I believe Jeter to be an ego maniac if not flat out narcissist and these petty gestures just help to prove me right.

That said, Go Marlins! 

This kind of contradicts what is being said on this thread. 

Deadspin is conveniently leaving out the Marlins' public statement on it as well but go ahead and believe what backs up your narrative as well.

Of course it contradicts everything said in this thread since it is just regurgitating the same thing from the other national stories. Brilliant analysis man!

https://deadspin.com/petty-ass-derek-jeter-yanks-credentials-from-radio-host-1826168084/amp?__twitter_impression=true

This kind of contradicts what is being said on this thread.  He initially had credentials for seven years before this season and they changed it before the season started.  Then after the BVI story he has been denied every time he has applied. I don't know who is lying, Slater or the Marlins but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Slater because #FuckJeter.  

I will say this, I know many of you are young liberals and while this is not political, just think about how you felt when Trump threatened to revoke press credentials to some White House correspondents. This is just as petty.  Whether Slater is telling the whole truth or exaggerating some, there's no doubt that his credentials were revoked because of Slater's reporting.  The BVI thing might not be illegal but it bothered them enough to revoke his credentials. 

Just food for thought.  I believe Jeter to be an ego maniac if not flat out narcissist and these petty gestures just help to prove me right.

That said, Go Marlins! 

I rarely post these days, but this one warranted a response.

On the one hand, you have a private entity and for-profit business (i.e. the Marlins) revoking a reporter’s ability to have access to the inner working of their entity that the reporter uses for his own profit.

This is so-unbelievably-nothing-at-all like an elected government official — not to mention arguably the most powerful one in the country — revoking a member of the press’s access because he doesn’t like what they have to say. 

The Marlins are free to do what they want. The President is a servant of the people. Those situations are not remotely similar or analogous.

And a person doesn’t need to be a liberal to despise Trump’s words, actions, and policies, including how abusive to and stifling of the press he is.

I rarely post these days, but this one warranted a response.

On the one hand, you have a private entity and for-profit business (i.e. the Marlins) revoking a reporter’s ability to have access to the inner working of their entity that the reporter uses for his own profit.

This is so-unbelievably-nothing-at-all like an elected government official — not to mention arguably the most powerful one in the country — revoking a member of the press’s access because he doesn’t like what they have to say. 

The Marlins are free to do what they want. The President is a servant of the people. Those situations are not remotely similar or analogous.

And a person doesn’t need to be a liberal to despise Trump’s words, actions, and policies, including how abusive to and stifling of the press he is.

I understand the differences.  My only point is that in both situations they are being petty.  Maybe Jeter should go through his own Captains camp.

Oh good I was hoping another place I visit would turn into a political discussion. There aren’t enough of those these days.

Oh good, I was hoping another place I visit would have people making obnoxious comments that add nothing to the conversation. There aren’t of those these days.

Does it count as revoking a press credential when the person from whom it is revoked never acted like a legiitmate member of the press anyway? Like, if Harvard revoked Craig Mish's or Andy Slater's degrees, we'd be like, "yeah, but they never had one from there anyway...because they never earned it..."

y'all feel me?

Jeter can not handle basic PR yet we are the Astros......

He needs to get out of Florida and never come back. 

He can open a restaurant keep the GM that helped run the last into the ground and use crap ingredients all while asking them to come every night with the maybe they will use good ingredients 4 years from now.   

Another guy who believes everything he reads as long as it is anti-Jeter. Doesn't stop for a few minutes to do a little research on the topic.