Interesting Article on Denbo and the changes that are being made

rmc523

https://frsbaseball.com/mlb/marlins/heyman-under-marlins-new-boss-things-have-to-change-and-are/

When the new Miami Marlins’ management team took over after the 2017 season following the purchase by iconic Yankee Derek Jeter and principal investor Bruce Sherman, unlike a lot of new groups, they didn’t immediately make wholesale changes – though there were a few notable firings and force-outs that created headlines.

For the most part, though, they kept folks out of necessity and expediency (contracts were about to expire, and there was no way to replace everyone) and they did so out of fairness (there was no time to make proper evaluations, especially since it was hard to tell who did what since the chain of command was ill-defined in many cases).

Instead, the Marlins are experiencing turnover as they go; it’s happening organically, and perhaps uncomfortably in a couple cases.

Gary Denbo, the former Yankees hitting coach and executive who is the director of player development and scouting, has spent every waking hour surveying the system, and people close to him suggest he is, unsurprisingly, appalled by much of what he sees....

Much more at the link above.

The article is almost scary to be honest. Obviously we always blamed Loria directly for the Marlins failures but this shows that the entire organization was flawed because of him.

It wasn't a good organization run by one crazy person... it was that this crazy person had basically broken the entire organization and now there were cracks and holes in the system from top to bottom. There were people screwing up in every department, not just the people at the top that we always brought up. It makes it sound like the cleaning staff probably couldn't even clean the toilets right. 

How would they ever have recovered without sweeping changes? 

This article taught me that we lost a guy who helped develop JT Realmuto.

Interesting.

Yeah. I also found it interesting that they couldn't find a single Marlins employee that has said positive things about interacting with him.  The shit with Riddle was ridiculous too.  I'm not arguing that wholesale changes weren't needed but taking that sort of attitude into your gig isn't exactly responsible either.  if there's one thing I've learned in the corporate world is that the people that come in and preach "accountability" often don't take accountability (unless it's positive) themselves and create a culture of discontent.  I guess it worked for him with the Yankees but I'm tired of hearing they want to make this carbon copy of the Yankees system - because the Marlins will NEVER be what the Yankees are because the market and $$ will never be there.  They need to stop trying to compare themselves to someone else and just create their own identity.  They don't have the finances to run the ship the same way as the Yankees do so stop trying to be them - Loria wanted to do the same thing on a budget and failed miserably. 

Anyway, still too early to tell. A change was needed but it concerns me that nary a soul could be found to speak positively about working with Denbo.  Then again, the article could be designed that way - but to me it seemed as if it was trying to be positive about the changes taking place overall so that's why i'm concerned not a single person was quoted as saying he takes feedback well, is open to listening to other opinions outside his own, etc.  Oh well, we'll see how it all plays out in the end I guess.

Yeah. I also found it interesting that they couldn't find a single Marlins employee that has said positive things about interacting with him.  The shit with Riddle was ridiculous too.  I'm not arguing that wholesale changes weren't needed but taking that sort of attitude into your gig isn't exactly responsible either.  if there's one thing I've learned in the corporate world is that the people that come in and preach "accountability" often don't take accountability (unless it's positive) themselves and create a culture of discontent.  I guess it worked for him with the Yankees but I'm tired of hearing they want to make this carbon copy of the Yankees system - because the Marlins will NEVER be what the Yankees are because the market and $$ will never be there.  They need to stop trying to compare themselves to someone else and just create their own identity.  They don't have the finances to run the ship the same way as the Yankees do so stop trying to be them - Loria wanted to do the same thing on a budget and failed miserably. 

Anyway, still too early to tell. A change was needed but it concerns me that nary a soul could be found to speak positively about working with Denbo.  Then again, the article could be designed that way - but to me it seemed as if it was trying to be positive about the changes taking place overall so that's why i'm concerned not a single person was quoted as saying he takes feedback well, is open to listening to other opinions outside his own, etc.  Oh well, we'll see how it all plays out in the end I guess.

Some of it could be that they're not happy they can't operate how they were under Loria (do whatever they want), so they don't have anything positive to say.

Sounds like it's not that Denbo is a cancer, but rather that everyone from the Loria days is.

This. 

The article makes Dembo look harsh but I think it's understandable and necessary. The article does seem to agree too. 

Gotta say I'm still curious what Jim Benedict and Marc DelPiano could have done here with more time and a better organizational structure. They came here, and left here, very well regarded but we never actually got to see their work come to fruition. 

saying everyone from the Loria days is a cancer is a bit extreme since there were plenty of well-regarded guys that had zero issue finding jobs elsewhere when they wouldn't tolerate having an asshole for a boss who sounds like he doesn't really take feedback from others very well.  Whatever, let it ride and see where it goes I guess.  Not saying he's bad or good - I just grow weary of hearing how they want the team to be like the Yankees since we had to deal with that nonsense when Loria was here too.

Being like the Yankees just means being successful on a more consistent basis. In that sense, every front office wants to be like the Yankees. Now how each front office gets there, and if they get there at all, will obviously vary. 

Yes, exactly. Not "spend 200 million dollars" because that obviously can fail drastically if not done in a smart manner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.